E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers: KW ST or BC Racing

04-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Coilovers: KW ST or BC Racing

I can't seem to decide which coilovers to get. From what I hear, the BC Racing coils squeak but have front camber plates. The KW ST coils don't squeak, but don't have front camber plates. Also, the BC Racing's warranty is much better. They're both about the same price. Suggestions?

Edit: Any feedback on D2 Racing or Sonic Tuning coil overs?

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife

Last edited by EDM92; 04-29-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

I have ST coilovers and couldnt be happier with the for the price. Im not slamming down or tracking so i dont really need the front camber right now. although i probably will end up getting camber plates at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Iranman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

depends on how low you wanna go, lately ive been hearing bc's cant go very low.. but some say they can.. idk. i have them and am not crazy about them. Another good coilover would be Sonic Tuning, they also have camber plates. and are in your price range
      04-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the help guys, keep the advice coming!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

also check out D2 coilovers i have a few friends with them on other cars but they all like them for teh price and they have camber plates. theres also a write up on them on here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
also check out D2 coilovers i have a few friends with them on other cars but they all like them for teh price and they have camber plates. theres also a write up on them on here somewhere.
Thanks man. I guess I'll be looking into Sonic Tuning and D2 Racing now. Ahhh, the choices are endless. It's a lot of money so my choice better be the right one.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

I have sonic tuning coilovers and love it. Feels near identical to sport suspension but handles on rails.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Reygil
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i Sedan

Why the need for camber plates? I've got sonic tuning coils on mine without the camber plates. It's a nice setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygil View Post
Why the need for camber plates? I've got sonic tuning coils on mine without the camber plates. It's a nice setup.
I'm pretty sure the Sonic Tuning coils have camber plates though...

I would need camber plates if I plan on super slamming my car. Not sure how low I actually plan on going yet, so it would be nice to have the option to introduce camber if needed. I think I'm taking the KW ST off the list for that reason. Camber plates cost a fortune if purchased separately.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Reygil
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING
Quote:

I would need camber plates if I plan on super slamming my car. Not sure how low I actually plan on going yet, so it would be nice to have the option to introduce camber if needed. I think I'm taking the KW ST off the list for that reason. Camber plates cost a fortune if purchased separately.
That's incorrect. I just installed the coils myself... No camber plates.

U can introduce some camber by just shifting the top hats. With the stock top hats u would need to remove the alignment nipple to do so. With my sonics they were a full replacement so I was able to shift it to get minimal neg camber.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's incorrect. I just installed the coils myself... No camber plates.

U can introduce some camber by just shifting the top hats. With the stock top hats u would need to remove the alignment nipple to do so. With my sonics they were a full replacement so I was able to shift it to get minimal neg camber.

Hope this helps...
Odd, it says they come with camber plates here: http://www.sonictuning.com/bmw/bmw-3...ber-plate.html

Thanks for the help though. Maybe you got a different set? Not sure honestly.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

the one with camber plate its s3, slightly more expensive than s1. how do you guys lie the s1? I've been thinking about getting one but i heard it's too stiff for daily drive even on softest setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
MattsGray335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6spd man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
the one with camber plate its s3, slightly more expensive than s1. how do you guys lie the s1? I've been thinking about getting one but i heard it's too stiff for daily drive even on softest setting.
+1, I would like to know this too.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Reygil
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc
I've been riding on it for the last week and a half with long road trips in between. Gotta say, compared to stock sport susp it's very comfortable. Firm ride and I feel more comfortable pushing it. The stock sports lost its composure sometimes when hitting bumps

I also gotta add though that it's a hassle adjusting the front height as u need to remove it partially from the bottom clamp to move it up and down. Other than that, the adjustable dampening is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
E92aw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Alpine White 335i

Quote:
I have ST coilovers and couldnt be happier with the for the price. Im not slamming down or tracking so i dont really need the front camber right now. although i probably will end up getting camber plates at some point.
How low can ST go? I have BC and i maxed out the front and the wheel is still not tucking
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranman View Post
depends on how low you wanna go, lately ive been hearing bc's cant go very low.. but some say they can.. idk. i have them and am not crazy about them. Another good coilover would be Sonic Tuning, they also have camber plates. and are in your price range
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
I have sonic tuning coilovers and love it. Feels near identical to sport suspension but handles on rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post

Quote:
I've been riding on it for the last week and a half with long road trips in between. Gotta say, compared to stock sport susp it's very comfortable. Firm ride and I feel more comfortable pushing it. The stock sports lost its composure sometimes when hitting bumps

I also gotta add though that it's a hassle adjusting the front height as u need to remove it partially from the bottom clamp to move it up and down. Other than that, the adjustable dampening is a plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92E90FAN View Post
I've read good reviews on sonic. Plus there affordable
Thanks for the kind words folks!

All of our coilover includes Top Hat, the S3 has adjustable camber plate.

You can drop up to 3 inches.

The coilover is designed to give you comfort for daily driving, and easy adjustment for damping so you can take it out to track for the weekend.

Any questions feel free to PM or email us.

For Limited time we have a free shipping promo for the S1 and S3!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 CZP,07 e90 335 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92aw
Quote:
How low can ST go? I have BC and i maxed out the front and the wheel is still not tucking
I got STs look at my sig they are as low as i would ever want to go and they could go lower if i wanted too.

Garage///2013 e92 M3 ZCP ///2007 e90 335 FBO///
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92aw View Post
I have my ST v1 about halfway down the threading on the front wheels and am 0.5" gap from tire. You can lower it until it rubs, and you can keep going lol. The rears sit perfectly on the lowest setting. If you need to go lower, you can remove the perch.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
6MTF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
Is that on the softest setting? Do you track or just daily drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I've used KW and ST. Unless you need adjustable damping/rebound ST is the best value IMO.