E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 in for warranty work and driving 320d

08-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

M3 in for warranty work and driving 320d

The M3 is in for some warranty work and I've been given a 2010 320d business edition E90 with 6 sp manual. I love driving different cars and was curious to see how the diesel went.

Here is my feedback:

Dakota leather - feels and looks cheap and nastly compared to Novillo leather.
The leather in the 320 is black and it really makes my bum and legs sweat. I never experienced this with red fox novillo even when the outside temp was 10c more. Interior temp set at 21C for both cars.

Engine - apart from the gruff noise at start up, it's fine on the move and is quite refined and smooth. Amazingly though it doesn't like to pull at low revs, ED asks for 4th gear at 35mph. The M3 asks for 6th gear at 38mph and is far smoother and more flexible at low revs, this came as quite a shock as I expected the diesel to be more flexible. I do not like the throttle lag of the turbo diesel and hate the way the performance is a bit light-switch like in the way that applying a light throttle from standstill provides gentle acceleration, until bang it hits the maxium torque within a few hundred revs and the car zooms forwards. The power and torque then drops off, I found this very un exciting.

Comfort - around the town the SE suspension in the 320d was more comfortable than the M3 but not by much with the M3 EDC in comfort mode.
On motorways the ride is better in the M3, particularly on poor road services where the lack of rebound damping gave a pogoing like ride in the 320d.

Handling - 320d felt like it was floating at speed, with much more body roll and slack in the steering. Grip was pretty good though with good turn-in. It's funny as if I haven't driven an M3, I may have thought the handling was good. The M3 is like a go-kart compared to the 320d and I wasn't impressed.

Seats - non-sport seats v's M3 seats. I really missed the adjustable lumbar, big bolsters and width adjustment that the M3 offers. My back ached with the non-sport seats.

Gearbox - 6sp manual in 320d is better than M3. I'll be writing to BMW UK to complain. The box is smooth and changes from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd properly and smoothly. Updated Oct 2010 - since changing the clutch and dual-mass flywheel the gearbox is much more positive, direct and the changes are now smooth as I can feel the biting point of the clutch. Changing gears now feels mechanical and solid and it's a pleasure to use.

Clutch - the feel of the biting point to get smooth changes is good and as it should be in the 320d and far better than the M3. Right from the off I made perfect gear changes which is much harder to achieve with the M3.

New idrive / hard drive v's old idrive and DVD based nav - maybe I was expecting too much from what one reads on the forum but hardly any difference in ease of use or clarity of screen imo. I actually thought that the screen is better with the old idrive. Also having to wait for the hard drive to fire up when the DVD based nav immediately works was a surprise and annoying.

Steering - not much steering feel on the 320d and I didn't like the thin wheel. It also felt cheap compared to the leather on the M3 wheel.

Interior - my wife commented that the 320d felt cheap and plasticky inside. I feel much more part of the car in the M3 and the interior looks and feels special.

So that's it. I'm not having a dig at anyone who runs a 320d and we did have fun the week we had it. I guess I have now been spoilt! Anyway just wanted to share my experience. I guess if my situation changes and I find myself with a 320d it will not be a bad thing and overall it's actually a fantastic car once you get used to it.

I've got a 320i se this week so I'll compare that too. Next week is a 320d Msport all E90s btw.

Cheers
Anthony

Last edited by Ant Man; 10-23-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

You'll notice the lack of grunt with the 2.0 petrol. Feels smooth but wheezy and no punch.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
You should have opted for a DCT equipped M3 - I rate the gearbox as one of the cars massive positive points - most manual M3 owners dislike many points about their manual setup (poor clutch feel, notchy gearchanges?) - the DCT completes the car.

Are you sure the car you drove has the HDD based nav? If it has the standard business nav then it is still DVD based. The new HDD based nav has a HD widescreen display that is noticeably larger than the older style screen and boots up far quicker.

There will be a USB socket in the glovebox if it is the HDD based system.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
The M3 is in for some warranty work and I've been given a 2010 320d business edition E90 with 6 sp manual. I love driving different cars and was curious to see how the diesel went.

Here is my feedback:

Dakota leather - feels and looks cheap and nastly compared to Novillo leather.
The leather in the 320 is black and it really makes my bum and legs sweat. I never experienced this with red fox novillo even when the outside temp was 10c more. Interior temp set at 21C for both cars.

Engine - apart from the gruff noise at start up, it's fine on the move and is quite refined and smooth. Amazingly though it doesn't like to pull at low revs, ED asks for 4th gear at 35mph. The M3 asks for 6th gear at 38mph and is far smoother and more flexible at low revs, this came as quite a shock as I expected the diesel to be more flexible. I do not like the throttle lag of the turbo diesel and hate the way the performance is a bit light-switch like in the way that applying a light throttle from standstill provides gentle acceleration, until bang it hits the maxium torque within a few hundred revs and the car zooms forwards. The power and torque then drops off, I found this very un exciting.

Comfort - around the town the SE suspension in the 320d was more comfortable than the M3 but not by much with the M3 EDC in comfort mode.
On motorways the ride is better in the M3, particularly on poor road services where the lack of rebound damping gave a pogoing like ride in the 320d.

Handling - 320d felt like it was floating at speed, with much more body roll and slack in the steering. Grip was pretty good though with good turn-in. It's funny as if I haven't driven an M3, I may have thought the handling was good. The M3 is like a go-kart compared to the 320d and I wasn't impressed.

Seats - non-sport seats v's M3 seats. I really missed the adjustable lumbar, big bolsters and width adjustment that the M3 offers. My back ached with the non-sport seats.

Gearbox - 6sp manual in 320d is better than M3. I'll be writing to BMW UK to complain. The box is smooth and changes from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd properly and smoothly.

Clutch - the feel of the biting point to get smooth changes is good and as it should be in the 320d and far better than the M3. Right from the off I made perfect gear changes which is much harder to achieve with the M3.

New idrive / hard drive v's old idrive and DVD based nav - maybe I was expecting too much from what one reads on the forum but hardly any difference in ease of use or clarity of screen imo. I actually thought that the screen is better with the old idrive. Also having to wait for the hard drive to fire up when the DVD based nav immediately works was a surprise and annoying.

Steering - not much steering feel on the 320d and I didn't like the thin wheel. It also felt cheap compared to the leather on the M3 wheel.

Interior - my wife commented that the 320d felt cheap and plasticky inside. I feel much more part of the car in the M3 and the interior looks and feels special.

So that's it. I'm not having a dig at anyone who runs a 320d and we did have fun the week we had it. I guess I have now been spoilt! Anyway just wanted to share my experience. I guess if my situation changes and I find myself with a 320d it will not be a bad thing and overall it's actually a fantastic car once you get used to it.

I've got a 320i se this week so I'll compare that too. Next week is a 320d Msport all E90s btw.

Cheers
Anthony
You forget to mention fuel economy in all that.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

That's a great twin test - with some quite literally not surprising results
      08-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
I might have missed something but comparison of an M3 and a 320D, sorry the point is?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:

Cheers
Anthony
Blimey! How long have they got your M3 for and what are they doing to it? Where are you in EA btw?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Guess there is a reason an M3 is twice the price of a 320D.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

To reply to some of the posts above

The 320d certainly had the HD screen etc, it was a brand new car and demonstrator.

With all the lag / software issues with the DCT I opted to go with the manual. Maybe in a few years time I may choose DCT but I love driving manual cars. I like to physically do things and be part of the experience. Do NOT want to start a debate on this subject

I've posted as I'm a petrolhead and wanted to share my experience of driving a 320d.

Have now been driving the 320i for a day.Hhmmm. It's an 08 model with 20K+ miles. Will post up when I driven it for more days but do not lack of low down torque compared to 320d.

I'm based in Chelmsford. I had one very small interior rattle and a much louder resonance type rattle, that I initially thought was the passenger seat belt arm helper. It turns out that it was silicon on the rubber door seals.

Engine had 10sec of fluctuating idle at start up and hunting at low revs. Also small metallic noise at idle. The tests required to pin point the idle issues were numerous and we're waiting for parts (on back order) from Germany.

I'm quite tuned into my cars and wanted all the niggles fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

The 320d is brilliant for the cost of it. Its my opinion that this is a stupid comparison. If was to compare a M3 to a R8 (twice the price) I dare say the M3 would be crap/disappointing by comparison.

When I test drove the M3 I liked the chassis but thought the engine was a let down. if you want to experience the proper performance of a turbo car then try the new 400hp alpina bi turbo. Now thats value for money.

Last edited by 335ier; 08-29-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Rob55
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

I disagree regarding the dakota leather, I actually prefer the grain in it to the smooth novillo leather. It also seems to wear a lot better and in 5 years time looks fresher in my opinion.

Be interesting to see what you make of the 320d M Sport with the better interior and suspension.

Agree with the disappointing low down torque in the 320d though, mine does not seem to like pootling around in low revs. I had a Civic Type R and it would happily sit at 35mph in 6th, whereas the 320d really seems to prefer being right down in 4th.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

I do agree about novillo leather comment, what ive seen doesnt feel like it stands the test of time, especially with the kids going in and out.
Also does this leather go shiny quickly that really cheapens it imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

When I compare my previous 320d with my current SLK 55 AMG the Mercedes seems better, it may be the lack of run flats or the £35K difference in price.

The BMW was better on fuel economy though
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

Quote:
The M3 asks for 6th gear at 38mph
Really?! That is mental.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwfYong View Post
Really?! That is mental.
Fast Datsun takes 6th at 35mph and it goes all the way up to 190ish!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 04:15 AM   #16
andyp74199
munich leg end
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport

Garage List
shock horror news story.... M3 wins most exciting drive twin test with 320d ed wtf!!

good read though : )
      08-31-2010, 04:37 AM   #17
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

FWIW, i think its always good to spend some time in a courtesy car or demo to help understand your own cars pros and cons, and if the OP wants to do that and share his views then fine by me. I've had a variety of e90 loaners in the last year, from latest e92lci and a few saloons, both SE and Sport. 318i msport was quite sweet, once you get to a decent speed, the challenge is to keep it there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Good write up mate. But I do agree with allot of the comments here - comparing it with a 320d seems like you're just feeding your own ego. LOL! But you're a car enthusiast, like many here (some are just BMW enthusiasts) and I totally respect the fact that coming from an M3, you've bothered to write up your opinions on a car lower down in the 'food chain' - so to speak. Yesterday, I was in my friends F430 - and as you can imagine, driving that thing - I was like 'wooooow'. He too is an enthusiast, and was asking me more questions about my 330d than I was of his Ferrari!

And what's all this 'tells you when to change gear' none sense? where's this come from? God, I'd hate to have a car telling me when to change gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
First thing I did with my new car.............get rid of that dictatorial 'when to change gear' shite.

Think the OP is convincing himself he loves his M3.............only kdding!

I drove my Mums three year old Skoda Octavia 2.0tdi the other day and well, it is what it is but then I'd argue, for what it cost when new, it's a lot of car for the money imo. Now, question is, are the 'higher end' motors many of us drive worth the initial asking price. All subjective no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
And what's all this 'tells you when to change gear' none sense? where's this come from? God, I'd hate to have a car telling me when to change gear.
320D shows you the optimum gear for your speed on the dash. For instance, it indicates 2nd gear at around 10mph, 3rd gear at 20mph, 4th gear at 40mph, 5th gear at 50mph and 6th gear at 60mph
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwfYong View Post
320D shows you the optimum gear for your speed on the dash. For instance, it indicates 2nd gear at around 10mph, 3rd gear at 20mph, 4th gear at 40mph, 5th gear at 50mph and 6th gear at 60mph
Yes, loads of cars do but what I like is the fact you can choose to eradicate it from the display as it's irritating in the extreme. Suppose for those obsessed about mpg....... but I 'aint clogging up a performance orientated engine by driving like a pussy and not enjoying the performance on tap.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Swiller
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post
I disagree regarding the dakota leather, I actually prefer the grain in it to the smooth novillo leather. It also seems to wear a lot better and in 5 years time looks fresher in my opinion
Spot on, and with some decent leather cleaning products, always comes up in a nice Matt finish, as opposed to shiny, worn look.

If the quality of leather is a significant issue in an m3 vs 320d contest. It is definitely time to buy a 320d!
Appreciate 0