E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbos replaced, without oil service?

08-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #23
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

Out of interest how often do you change you oil? I usually change my oil & filter every 3-4k
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #24
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I change mine max every 5k in a diesel though
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:03 AM   #25
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbera9 View Post
Out of interest how often do you change you oil? I usually change my oil & filter every 3-4k
To the service intervals. I will be doing interims from now on however since the turbos have finally been replaced.

For the sake of £30 and an hour of my time its a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:17 AM   #26
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

When replacing the turbo's lets be honest there really isn't any major requirement to change the oil unless it's proper old and overdue. Once you've covered a few hundred miles even the oil will have started to pick up any particulates from the engine and start to degrade a touch so it's a bit of a mute point.

As for changing oil, I'd normally change it approx. halfway through the normal service interval so at about 6-7k ish.
      08-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #27
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
When replacing the turbo's lets be honest there really isn't any major requirement to change the oil unless it's proper old and overdue. Once you've covered a few hundred miles even the oil will have started to pick up any particulates from the engine and start to degrade a touch so it's a bit of a mute point.

As for changing oil, I'd normally change it approx. halfway through the normal service interval so at about 6-7k ish.
It is a mute subject for sure Raj, me being me if they come off and get replaced I want to see new oil being fed through them hence what I done, fully understand BMW policy re spec and oil and all that wastegate rattle fix or not if they are new for me I want to see fresh oil running through them ASAP.

As stated anyone of the major refurb company's or turbo supplier's want once the units have been swapped out fresh oil installed and they don't make a note of "if waste gates are defective its OK not to go with fresh oil" they stipulate the change regardless of why its failed as they are supplying anew unit that's what they want to see, but yep fully see both sides of the coin on this