E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Calif. People with Tint

07-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I have a metallic tint. I went conservative. Received a tint ticket that ended up costing me a little over $900 in the past (don't ask). I tinted the top part of my windshield with a ceramic tint. But should have tinted the entire windshield though. Very subtle.
      07-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Had my car in the San Diego area for almost a year with 35% tint on the front. The only time it's been an issue is when I was pulled over for speeding and the officer decided to give me a tint fix it ticket instead because I was in the service. He proceeded to tell me they are always looking for new people.

From 99% of the folks I know in SoCal that have tinted windows it isn't an issue until you get pulled over for a different violation.

I've rolled past CHP, Sheriffs, and SDPD and none have them have even payed a bit of attention to my tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
You'll understand when your car is parked in blistering SoCal heat.
Both of my cars are fairly dark in the back, but no tint up front, either on the windshield or side windows. It can be annoying in the heat, but I've learned to look for shade, and point the car's ass at the sun (with adjustment for time of day and how long I plan to be somewhere) when I park, to make sure the tinted glass is getting the brunt of it.

Had tints all around on my last car (except the front windshield, because that doesn't strike me as particularly safe) and I got tired of the limited nighttime visibility out the front side windows, and also didn't appreciate the occasional ticket I got for it.
      07-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
So, knowing that in Cali it's illegal to have front windows tinted, what are you guys using for all the windows? I want to get my car tinted. Currently I'm thinking 30% on the rear doors and back window, then 50% for the front doors. Is 50% too dark to piss off the cops? My car is all stock, so it doesn't draw any attention. In the future, the most I'll do is wheels and possibly PE. Again, nothing noticeable.

I have black interior, so I need to get as dark as possible. Thanks for your help!
can't you just get the tint then if you get a fix it ticket for it just pay the fine and not fix it? thats what I do with my front liscense plate. I also have 30% side windows and 20% rear

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I think I'll probably go with 30 on the back and 50 on the front windows just to be on the safe side. The 3M ceramic tint sounds great, but is out of my budget. My car is always parked in my garage, and like most of you, I look for shade when I park. I think I missed the boat this summer, so I'll probably have it dne in the fall/winter, since tint shops usually are willing to discount the price when it's slow.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

I don't believe the tint can be a primary offense to get you pulled over, but once they do pull you over for something like speeding... then they can get you on all those other minor things like no front plate, tint, etc...

So if you drive your car within the speed limit... then you won't have any issues
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
I don't believe the tint can be a primary offense to get you pulled over, but once they do pull you over for something like speeding... then they can get you on all those other minor things like no front plate, tint, etc...

So if you drive your car within the speed limit... then you won't have any issues
When I lived in NJ I was pulled over for front window tints as primary. Not sure if the cop was following procedure, but I wouldn't bank on not having to worry about tint if you're obeying all other laws.

Luckily here in FL I don't have that problem!

Edit: After googling it definitely looks like a primary offense in NJ. That said, I know some towns are more vigilant than others at enforcing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

My car is blacked out all the way and im running 3% in the back windows and 15% in the fronts haven't had any trouble yet! fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I have 20% all around and haven't had any issues in San Diego. I've even pulled up next to a cop at a stop light with my windows up, they looked at me and didn't budge.

I honestly wish I could go a little darker like 10-15%. You have to remember that all the light coming in from the windshield will naturally make the front tints look lighter.
      08-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I think I'll probably go with 30 on the back and 50 on the front windows just to be on the safe side. The 3M ceramic tint sounds great, but is out of my budget. My car is always parked in my garage, and like most of you, I look for shade when I park. I think I missed the boat this summer, so I'll probably have it dne in the fall/winter, since tint shops usually are willing to discount the price when it's slow.
I have 35 in the back and 50 in the front. Two weeks ago got pulled over by CHP. He pulled me over just for the tint. He explained that 80 is the lowest you can go which is basically factory stock tint. He let me off with a warning and said next time I would not be so lucky. What a waste of time for both of us... should not complain I guess. Just be careful I would say.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #33
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

Not true, I was stopped by a CHP on the side of the road going up the 38 to Big Bear for tinted front windows, I've got 35%. I argued with the guy and he wrote me a fixit for no front plate and let me slide on the tint since I argued it was a legal shade and had paperwork to prove it(not true at all but best I could do). It's hit or miss depending on where you are. I used to have a client in Encino and if you parked on Ventura you would get no front plate tickets from the meter maid's.

I'd love to know how someone got a fixit ticket and did not have to have it signed off as corrected as started earlier in this thread. If it was a flat infraction then maybe but fixit no way, that's counter intuitive. I've had several fixit's on my bike and always had to halfazz some solution to fix the issue(mainly lights or lack there of, was a totaled Ducatti I bought as salvage and pieced together).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS

I have 30% all around living in the bay area.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #35
casmako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
driving in southern orange county for 7 years with 3 black on black cars, all with heavy tinted windows...have never been pulled over for them. They will tack it onto some other ticket if they're feeling like it
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Not true, I was stopped by a CHP on the side of the road going up the 38 to Big Bear for tinted front windows, I've got 35%. I argued with the guy and he wrote me a fixit for no front plate and let me slide on the tint since I argued it was a legal shade and had paperwork to prove it(not true at all but best I could do). It's hit or miss depending on where you are. I used to have a client in Encino and if you parked on Ventura you would get no front plate tickets from the meter maid's.

I'd love to know how someone got a fixit ticket and did not have to have it signed off as corrected as started earlier in this thread. If it was a flat infraction then maybe but fixit no way, that's counter intuitive. I've had several fixit's on my bike and always had to halfazz some solution to fix the issue(mainly lights or lack there of, was a totaled Ducatti I bought as salvage and pieced together).
I think you answered my question and proved me right. The window tinting was NOT your primary offense, the no front plate was your primary offense. Once the officer has you pulled over for a primary offense then you are fair game for anything and everything else. Just like if you have something hanging from your rear view mirror, that's your primary offense and then all the other stuff is going to be your secondary tickets.

Yes you can get a ticket for parking on public roads with no plates, but you can't get a ticket for parking on a private road/driveway. That's why all my cars have a front plate because it's the lamest thing to get a ticket for (of course it looks ugly to have one, but why not just get one of those hidden plates that can pop out when you park).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er View Post
When I lived in NJ I was pulled over for front window tints as primary. Not sure if the cop was following procedure, but I wouldn't bank on not having to worry about tint if you're obeying all other laws.

Luckily here in FL I don't have that problem!

Edit: After googling it definitely looks like a primary offense in NJ. That said, I know some towns are more vigilant than others at enforcing it.
Your probably right and I've just been lucky. So I guess the lesson here is I should get the F outta NJ as fast as possible Which is probably a good idea, hopefully by summer 2014 I can give NJ the finger and take my state taxes with me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #38
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberbeast21 View Post
can't you just get the tint then if you get a fix it ticket for it just pay the fine and not fix it? thats what I do with my front liscense plate. I also have 30% side windows and 20% rear
Yes I did this with mine. Was almost $280 though, so some might find it to be more financially feasible to remove the tint, pay the $25-40 court fees, and then re-tint the windows. I just thought that was way too much of a hassle and my tint is professional grade. I don't like modifying the good parts of my car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz335 View Post
Yes I did this with mine. Was almost $280 though, so some might find it to be more financially feasible to remove the tint, pay the $25-40 court fees, and then re-tint the windows. I just thought that was way too much of a hassle and my tint is professional grade. I don't like modifying the good parts of my car
whoa didnt think it was that much ive never gotten a tint ticket before the front liscense plate tickets i have gotten were 35$ i thought it might have been roughly the same

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
E90_831
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport

Garage List
I've had my windows pretty dark on my past two cars (including my 335i). On my last car I got pulled over during a rainy day for tinted windows. So far, so good. (knock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #41
MDecals
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Stay away from Burbank, Glendale & Santa Monica. The police there will be glad to hand you a fix-it ticket like it's cool.

I got 20% all around and thinking of going 70% ceramic on the windshield. So far so good.
^This

Your Source For All Things Vinyl!

Official Decals: Bimmerpost | E90post| M3post | F30post

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #42
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

The law is similar in Vancouver, but Cali seems more lenient. I have given up on going with front window tints, seeing as cops here are trained to see even 50% tint, and may possibly removed it on the spot with their pocket knife, leaving your windows scratched and all.
Appreciate 0