E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Do KW coilovers normally ride like garbage?

02-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #1
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Hello, I have a 2008 328xi E92 which I bought 3 years and 60k miles ago with a set of KWs installed, I’m not sure which model they are but there’s a picture of the sticker down there to see if anyone can identify them and maybe their age.. number on them is 201 1015 R on the right front

Anyway these coilovers rode bad, no matter how i adjusted the rebound at the top of the shock, kinda similar or bit worse than my old sport 335i with run flats (my current 328xi has regular tires and 18s) I think they’ve gotten worse over time but can’t tell as it’s been a slow process.

Is this normal? Am I supposed to feel every tiny paint mark on the road and feel the road marker squares like a bump? Big bumps feel like a crash and it has taken a toll on the cars interior as I’ve noticed plastics have begun to rattle more often on bumps than when I first bought the car.

Has anyone here tried the KW rebuild service or tried to DIY it? My concern is paying for it and the suspension still riding like garbage after. I like the cars current ride height and might even go a bit lower, if the solution is switching brands I’ll do it if needed but would rather not.
Attached Images

02-28-2023, 09:46 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If they're rebound adjustable they're likely V2's but could be V3's. I think V3's have a separate adjuster at the bottom of the shock for compression.

KW's generally ride well especially if you aren't lowered too aggressively so no, I would say that's not normal. Are any of them leaking? Having more than 60k miles on them now, I'd suspect they are in need of a rebuild but depending on how old they were when you bought the car, they shouldn't be riding horribly.

That being said, there's not a coilover out there that's going to ride softer than OEM so that is somewhat subjective. I have KW street comfort and they're still significantly firmer than OEM and cause the car to follow the shape and texture of the road more than stock but they do absorb bumps well. I've had suspension setups that ride like garbage but to me, these feel very civil.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'll just say that I love my kws. Where you're in an xi, be sure to leave them threaded as tall as you can. The shorter piston length on our fronts leaves a lot less dampening room, so fully slamming this will definitely compromise ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #4
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

looks like KW Street Comfort, but then for a 1-series!

check this document / install instructions:
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras...ah18020039.pdf
Appreciate 0