E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2006 330xi just finished the steering column lock "restoration". few questions.....

02-26-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
TaylorTRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330 XI.

2006 330xi just finished the steering column lock "restoration". few questions.....

All back together, everything went well, I bench tested the motor for the lock, it was good. Cleaned with alcohol and greased it up. Worked way better and smooth.

Went to start and yellow key light came on the dash (not recognized key) followed by the steering lock warning again.....it was real late so I just bailed.

It sat for 6 months and I had the battery out as well. Got a new battery for keyfob gonna see if that goes away now.

Here's my question to anyone who messed with this before.

1. Do I Need to clear the old steering lock code before it will start (assuming the steering column lock is now working)

2. If the fix from BMW is just an updated steering column with no lock at all, if I were to remove my steering lock assembly completely and remove spring loaded actuator mounted on the actual steering column 100% (grind, cut etc.) Will the car start and drive? ( Not worried about any warning lights right now

If I get a used steering column for the delete what year /model is interchangeable.

PS
I got 280k miles on that car, runs like a top, but it's my commuter...I'm not worried about another check engine light by any means, just want it on the road

Thanks in advance for any help
Appreciate 0