E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Need some insight on dealership situation.

02-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Need some insight on dealership situation.

Hey guys,
I bought my E90 335i recently from BMW Store in Vancouver, here's the problem right now.
I went in for a check up today to deal with some issues i have regarding noises in the cabin, steering wheel sounds, and alignment issues.
My SA's name was Phil, so he basically told me he will get it all checked up and give me a call when it's done.
He gives me a call later in the afternoon telling me my car is ready, the noises and steering wheel problem is considered normal. For the alignment, there was a problem with it leaning to the left so they did a alignment adjustment to it, he told me they determined that it was because i hit a curb which screwed up the alignment.
-I went to pick up my car -> $164 for alignment
-I ask why? -> Because Phil went home already, the sale manager came and basically told me that because the alignment was my fault, its not covered under warranty.

Problem:
Phil did not tell me before OR after to ask for my authorization or even mention to me there was a charge for alignment after he called me to pick up the car.
Sales manager basically told me to either pay for it now and drive my own car home and call Phil back tomorrow, or pay the 50 dollar late fee for the courtesy car so i can take the courtesy car home.

I'm going to call them back tomorrow but has anyone experienced something like this before? Need some insight into this matter, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

i thought alignment is under warranty but maybe not. However they normally give you a call when its gonna cost you to fix the problem. You should try other dealers i guess brianjessel?
      02-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

alignments are not under warranty, but yes, they should have told you there would be a cost to do it before doing so...

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, that's what I'm wondering too. Not about if i hit a curb if they can cover it, I'm wondering if BMW CANADA states that alignment is covered in our warranty except when it's self inflicted. That way my point will be much stronger as I thought i was going in for a free maintenance check up but instead got charged. If alignment isn't even in the warranty section, then I'm probably screwed
I paid the $164 already, but I'm planning to speak with Phil and with the service manager tomorrow about the problem.

PS: Shouldn't the SA inform me before hand that alignment isn't covered?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy2 View Post
Yes, that's what I'm wondering too. Not about if i hit a curb if they can cover it, I'm wondering if BMW CANADA states that alignment is covered in our warranty except when it's self inflicted. That way my point will be much stronger as I thought i was going in for a free maintenance check up but instead got charged. If alignment isn't even in the warranty section, then I'm probably screwed
I paid the $164 already, but I'm planning to speak with Phil and with the service manager tomorrow about the problem.

PS: Shouldn't the SA inform me before hand that alignment isn't covered?
why did you do that ? it's their fault, they should of asked you before charging anything
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
r.c.y.k.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

That's pretty normal to me... lol... my experience from dealers in Edmonton was always like that... they even charged me once to fix brake noise, which the noise was still there even they said they FIXED it... lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
why did you do that ? it's their fault, they should of asked you before charging anything
2 choice they gave me:

1.Pay for it, go home, call the service department tomorrow since they were off already.

2.If you take the courtesy car home, we have to charge you 50.00 late fee for each day you keep the courtesy car for.

They basically gave me no choice at all, i didn't want to leave my car there nor did I want to pay the late fee. $164 or $50/day. I knew my chance would be slimmer if i paid the $164 but what can i do?

- This is my first time purchasing a BMW. And my first service was like this, very disappointing.
PS: Courtesy was the dirtiest shit ever, 2009 328xi with 2000 km, interior was a mess -> sticky spots everywhere, stains on the seats, steering wheel scratched, huge ass white stain on the leather shift knob, and did i mention the FUGLY looking mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
ho_grayson
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

i got my alignment from BJ BMW free before 3000 km. it's just route check! did you buy from them? the sales should be responsible for the cost because he didnt mention the cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep

^
Nice, i need more examples like yours. I bought it from them yes, that's exactly what i'm going to argue for first thing tomorrow morning. Half the price if not ALL
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

good luck but once you drive the car off the lot alignments are not free because the dealership doesn't know how you drive that will throw off the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
rcube
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I don't know man, you hit a curb and expect them to fix it for you. Should they fix your rims too if you damaged that?
Anyways, depending on how bad your alignment was... they probably had to put it on the machine just to check it. That will cost you money right there. You should thank them that they didn't just charge you the fee to look at it and not fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #12
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep

^
Not exactly. I have one small curb rash on my rim, which of course they can blame for me "going on to a curb", that is why i won't bother arguing about that claim because it's just gonna be a losing battle for me.
The main point is that i did not know what the alignment problem was, i simply said my car always goes to the left, and according to the sales manager that answered some of my questions after i picked up my car. It could be anything from bushing to rods to a lot of other things.
----
Yes I don't care if they put it on a machine to check it, I don't mind paying for any of that labour. It's just the fact that they did something to my car without authorization of payment, they should've informed me before that alignment problems are not covered by warranty, they should've informed me after the diag that it needed repairs which are not covered by warranty. What if next time they did +$1000 to your car and charged you for it? And you thought it would be covered by warranty. A mistake is a mistake, it doesn't matter if it's small or big.

My Ex-Audi Service Advisor informed me everytime when a payment was needed for a repair during my four years of FREE MAINTENANCE. This is why we have SAs to explain to us what the problem might be, because most people don't even know what alignment is, I used simple terms such as "car goes to the left", therefore in this case I could not possibly know that its not covered under warranty.

You think of this as the money issue, I think of it as being respectful and responsible to your customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

This might not sounds as related to your case but, when I had my car serviced at BJ for an engine virbrating problem at start-up. I left my car there for about 3 days. They said it was just a cold start that might seems like an engine vibrating. I said OKAY I'll go pick up the car since I haven't driven it for 3 days. When I go pick my car up, they showed me this bill $60 charge for topping my windshield washer fliud. :/ come on, my car was only 4 month old by then, and I didn't even use the washer fliud that often to get it topped for usage again.

So I told the guy at the cashier that it's a bs, since I left my car there 3 days for a check-up on the engine or possibly the fuel pump and if there was nothing wrong with it or they haven't found anything unusual, I expect to take my car home unchanged. Above all, I told them that "I WASN'T NOTIFIED" of them changing the windshield washer fliud on my car nor I think it's necessary to change it since my car is literally BRAND NEW.

The cashier mumbled some shit and called the man responsible for the change, Roger if I recall correctly. He came along to say that it's how they do it at BJ "taking care of customer's car" I was like Yeah right. I still ain't paying that 60 bucks for a ridiculous washer fliud change as I wasn't notified of the change. He looked at me for a full second length and then said "OKAY, I'll take it off the chart" jotted some shit down on their copy of printed receipt and I was on my way home paying 0 dollar on my end.

I may sound cheap since it's only 60 dollars, but I gotta say I felt kind of backstabbed since they had my precious car for 3 straight days for nothing but a washer fliud replacement? come on, that's not the way to make money off customer and call it "taking care of customers" it was bitter a little afterwards but eventually, I put it away from my mind.

Hope this helps a bit, but in terms of getting your money back from what's already in their hand. I think it's going to be tough since they are going to slow ball the process and the reward of going through the whole hassle seems to be not worth it.
      02-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
VanSky
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

From my previous experience warranty does cover the alignment only if the car is less than 2000km
      02-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
yes, thats right. alignment is only covered under the first few km's...as along with squeeks and creaks. once you are over 10000km's, you're bound to have some here and there. as for the charge, yes the dealer should have called you to ask if you would like that done. but does it still pull?

did you car always pull to the left? how many km's do you have on it? you havent listed any information like that.

i always think my car pulls to one side also. sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right. but mainly its just the road.
      02-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy2 View Post
2 choice they gave me:

1.Pay for it, go home, call the service department tomorrow since they were off already.

2.If you take the courtesy car home, we have to charge you 50.00 late fee for each day you keep the courtesy car for.

They basically gave me no choice at all, i didn't want to leave my car there nor did I want to pay the late fee. $164 or $50/day. I knew my chance would be slimmer if i paid the $164 but what can i do?

- This is my first time purchasing a BMW. And my first service was like this, very disappointing.
PS: Courtesy was the dirtiest shit ever, 2009 328xi with 2000 km, interior was a mess -> sticky spots everywhere, stains on the seats, steering wheel scratched, huge ass white stain on the leather shift knob, and did i mention the FUGLY looking mirrors?
I got a 328i from them as Courtesy car for several days and it was free. It was ugly and dirty as u described too but I had fun rippin the shit outta it .
Phil as in Philip Tang ? I bought my car from him 2008 E90 335i and I think the overall experience is excellent. I am suprised at their poor service u experienced but some ppl told me lately The BMW Store is behaving badly as well. maybe something happen internally with them ?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92says View Post
This might not sounds as related to your case but, when I had my car serviced at BJ for an engine virbrating problem at start-up. I left my car there for about 3 days. They said it was just a cold start that might seems like an engine vibrating. I said OKAY I'll go pick up the car since I haven't driven it for 3 days. When I go pick my car up, they showed me this bill $60 charge for topping my windshield washer fliud. :/ come on, my car was only 4 month old by then, and I didn't even use the washer fliud that often to get it topped for usage again.

So I told the guy at the cashier that it's a bs, since I left my car there 3 days for a check-up on the engine or possibly the fuel pump and if there was nothing wrong with it or they haven't found anything unusual, I expect to take my car home unchanged. Above all, I told them that "I WASN'T NOTIFIED" of them changing the windshield washer fliud on my car nor I think it's necessary to change it since my car is literally BRAND NEW.

The cashier mumbled some shit and called the man responsible for the change, Roger if I recall correctly. He came along to say that it's how they do it at BJ "taking care of customer's car" I was like Yeah right. I still ain't paying that 60 bucks for a ridiculous washer fliud change as I wasn't notified of the change. He looked at me for a full second length and then said "OKAY, I'll take it off the chart" jotted some shit down on their copy of printed receipt and I was on my way home paying 0 dollar on my end.

I may sound cheap since it's only 60 dollars, but I gotta say I felt kind of backstabbed since they had my precious car for 3 straight days for nothing but a washer fliud replacement? come on, that's not the way to make money off customer and call it "taking care of customers" it was bitter a little afterwards but eventually, I put it away from my mind.

Hope this helps a bit, but in terms of getting your money back from what's already in their hand. I think it's going to be tough since they are going to slow ball the process and the reward of going through the whole hassle seems to be not worth it.
I have a similar story from T&C too. Few yrs ago, I bring my car to T&C for some work done and they told me they will replace my wiper blade and top up my windshield washer for free. Then of course I am ok with that but when I picked up my car, I got a $140 bill for the wiper blade & washer fuild!!!! then the SA BS to me that they do that for me for free labour but I still have to pay for the fluid ($20) and blade ($100) + tax.... WTF! After a long fight, I end up still have to pay $70 to get out the door!
      02-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Alignments are not covered under the standard 4/80k warranty.

However, if you check your owner's manual, you are covered for one alignment when the car is new. There is a mileage / time restriction, but I don't recall what it is.

This is because the alignment may not be perfect upon delivery... I got an alignment for free about 1 month after I bought my car, because it used to pull to the right.

In either case, when the dealer dicks around like this, I never tell them I don't want to pay for the service.
a) I tell them it's really a matter of principle, and that I am incredibly upset at the way they are conducting themselves.
b) Ask them how they are going to compensate me for the valuable time they have wasted.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Rep
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Gzuz. You hit a curb. You're alignment is hooped. They did your alignment.

The error here is not in doing the alignment but in not pre-warning you that there would be a charge. Fair enough. Error. However, would you have said "no, don't do it. I'd like to put up with the existing issues and fcuk up my tires"? Don't think so. So the end result is the same, it's the method you disagree with. Fair enough again, I can understand. However, its done. All $164 of it.

Suck it up, pay the $$$, but tell them in no uncertain terms that any future unauthorized charges will be their responsibility. You expect to be notified.....full stop.

But I gotta say.......it's a little high strung to go bleed all over the net about your dealer and your SA over an alignment. Cheese and rice man - you're bitching because they gave you an '09 loaner and you don't like the way the mirrors look. Quite frankly, when you get too bent about minor stuff you actually get less. They feel like they have little chance of pleasing you anyways so why waste the few discretionary $$$ they have? Be cool but firm. Then make sure you have a laugh with them about something, anything, before you leave. Any luxury dealership has no end of bitchy "I deserve better" people. Be cool to them and they will find a way to be cool to you. Maybe not this time, but maybe next time. This is called building a relationship with your SA. Trust me. Done it with every car Ive ever leased.

I sense a little buyers remorse here. Is it about the car itself, or about the $$$$?
Cos I gotta tell you - wether they called you first or not your Audi dealer woulda charged for that.

Last edited by Well Marbled; 02-05-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Initial comment too cranky due to 3 hrs sleep.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
jjy2
Enlisted Member
Rep

^
*My car has 5000km.
Let me tell you how I've been accommodating to their needs.
I picked up my car around November.
1.I paid my car in full, they screwed up the final price by $1000.
Contract was signed, Cheque was cleared,Papers were filed, I had the ICBC ownership slip already, was going to do insurance as Sales Manager came to me and told me the situation, told me he was willing to take 500 off. I decided fine, since i wanted the car so bad on that day and i didn't want my sales person to be blamed it <- I knew I'd regret it

2. My salesman told me i would be receiving a key chain and a $65 dollar certificate for the aux/usb ipod cable thing(Quote" I shouldnt be telling you this since its a surprise, but you'll receive a ________________"QUOTE what a bitch!). Bought the car for 3 month and still no nothing.

3. I bought angel eyes for my car, but my oem wheel lock was missing, along with my manual for the car. I called and they promised it will be here in a week. I call a month later as I didn't receive a call, parts said it was here and told me to go. I live in Burnaby, driving to burrard takes half an hour with traffic. So i go there, picked up my manual, go to parts, they try different wheel locks that are in stock for my car, none of it works, tells me they will copy down my vin and order it for me. I said okay. Few weeks later, no call back as i left them my phone #, i called and told them to mail it to me as i ain't going down there again. 2 month for wheel locks on my new vehicle

4. This problem

This was all done by THE BMW STORE. You tell me if i should get mad at the current situation. Don't care if its 10 dollars i didn't authorize or 164 dollars, either way I'm gonna fight my money back. Philip Chan is my SA

ANY DEALERSHIP needs to treat people fairly, I'm not the kind of person that start a big mess since i PAID for the alignment already and i just want some opinions before i make a formal complaint.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
john0213
The Allergy Season
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 Blk Saph. 335xi

I don't quite agree on what you just said.

If you were given a choice and agree to the decision you've made, i can understand that being the customer's fault; but to charge a customer without any authorization? What is that kind of business ethic?

If i was in this situation and was notified to be charge or not, i will choose not to. why am i paying $164 for a bullshit alignment when i can get a good local shop to align them for me for $90. i can get a reallly good local performance shop to align the wheels for me according to my driving habit for just a tad over $120.

if you were giving a choice to choose and have that many options, would you opt not to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Marbled View Post
Gzuz. You hit a curb. You're alignment is hooped. They did your alignment.

The error here is not in doing the alignment but in not pre-warning you that there would be a charge. Fair enough. Error. However, would you have said "no, don't do it. I'd like to put up with the existing issues and fcuk up my tires"? Don't think so. So the end result is the same, it's the method you disagree with. Fair enough again, I can understand. However, its done. All $164 of it.

Suck it up, pay the $$$, but tell them in no uncertain terms that any future unauthorized charges will be their responsibility. You expect to be notified.....full stop.

But I gotta say.......it's a little high strung to go bleed all over the net about your dealer and your SA over an alignment. Cheese and rice man - you're bitching because they gave you an '09 loaner and you don't like the way the mirrors look. Quite frankly, when you get too bent about minor stuff you actually get less. They feel like they have little chance of pleasing you anyways so why waste the few discretionary $$$ they have? Be cool but firm. Then make sure you have a laugh with them about something, anything, before you leave. Any luxury dealership has no end of bitchy "I deserve better" people. Be cool to them and they will find a way to be cool to you. Maybe not this time, but maybe next time. This is called building a relationship with your SA. Trust me. Done it with every car Ive ever leased.

I sense a little buyers remorse here. Is it about the car itself, or about the $$$$?
Cos I gotta tell you - wether they called you first or not your Audi dealer woulda charged for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechUT View Post
a) I tell them it's really a matter of principle, and that I am incredibly upset at the way they are conducting themselves.
b) Ask them how they are going to compensate me for the valuable time they have wasted.

Exactly,
I think this goes back to what I said... matter of principle, and compensation for time wasted / aggrevation.

If I wanted lousy service and miscommunication, I wouldn't take my car to the dealer, I'd go to the run down garage down the street, which is much closer to my house, and also much cheaper. Example:

1) My car's been in a body shop for nearly two weeks now, for what should have been three days of work. But the guy's prices are cheap, and I knew to expect this. If the dealer (who charges twice as much) did this, I would be livid.

2) I had a tire bulge, and the service advisor at the BMW dealership asked me to bring it in. They would have to dismount and inspect, and report to the warranty company would cover the damage. Then I got a call from the warranty saying no, bulges are not covered at all.

The SA had advised that I might be liable for the cost of the dismount / remount. I told him that since bulges are apparently not covered period, they wasted my time by making me drop the car off, get a loaner, etc, etc... when it was all unnecessary as the bulge would not have been covered no matter what they found. Forget the $60 dismount/mounting charge, you have wasted 3 hours of my time for nothing! I coulda got this substandard service at Canadian Tire down the street, why am I bothering with BMW?
Appreciate 0