Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Switching from Michelin PS2 to Hankook Ventus K120 EVO2 ?!?!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG '24 M3CX

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Switching from Michelin PS2 to Hankook Ventus K120 EVO2 ?!?!

Guys, I’m on the fence… I need to replace my rear tires. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (dedicated summer tires).

I’ve contacted a few local tire shops and I’m kind of getting tired of the Hankook (Ventus K120 EVO2) sales pitch, have a feeling there’s more profit in that tire for them. The reality is I can get a set of 4 new tires (Hankook or Conti’s) for less than the cost of two rear Michelin’s here in Toronto.

My question is this: Has anyone switched from the PS2 to the Ventus K120 and regretted the switch? I’ve read so many mixed reviews on the Hankook’s and we pay dearly here for tires in Canada, just don’t want to waste the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
EgorGovorun
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI M 330d 314PS 616Nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
Guys, I’m on the fence… I need to replace my rear tires. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (dedicated summer tires).

I’ve contacted a few local tire shops and I’m kind of getting tired of the Hankook (Ventus K120 EVO2) sales pitch, have a feeling there’s more profit in that tire for them. The reality is I can get a set of 4 new tires (Hankook or Conti’s) for less than the cost of two rear Michelin’s here in Toronto.

My question is this: Has anyone switched from the PS2 to the Ventus K120 and regretted the switch? I’ve read so many mixed reviews on the Hankook’s and we pay dearly here for tires in Canada, just don’t want to waste the money.
Don't do it!! Find your self some cash and buy two wheels of PSS instead of 4 something else.

I do the same, I pay about 1100 for set of PSS and buy a set of Kumho just for insurance for 500.. When my rear are finisht I swich them. And I feel so much difference. I thought something go wrong with nuts or suspension. I ask every tireshop for this.. All told me the IT'S OK.
For now it's my worst experience I had. I make about 10.000more with hopes that they will go better but they NOT! Now change to winters and in new season I will definitely go back to PSS.

I believe tires with half price will do the half of work. Don't waist your money for sht just do it in the proper way.

And sorry for my english))
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgorGovorun
Quote:
Guys, Im on the fence I need to replace my rear tires. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (dedicated summer tires).

Ive contacted a few local tire shops and Im kind of getting tired of the Hankook (Ventus K120 EVO2) sales pitch, have a feeling theres more profit in that tire for them. The reality is I can get a set of 4 new tires (Hankook or Contis) for less than the cost of two rear Michelins here in Toronto.

My question is this: Has anyone switched from the PS2 to the Ventus K120 and regretted the switch? Ive read so many mixed reviews on the Hankooks and we pay dearly here for tires in Canada, just dont want to waste the money.
Don't do it!! Find your self some cash and buy two wheels of PSS instead of 4 something else.

I do the same, I pay about 1100 for set of PSS and buy a set of Kumho just for insurance for 500.. When my rear are finisht I swich them. And I feel so much difference. I thought something go wrong with nuts or suspension. I ask every tireshop for this.. All told me the IT'S OK.
For now it's my worst experience I had. I make about 10.000more with hopes that they will go better but they NOT! Now change to winters and in new season I will definitely go back to PSS.

I believe tires with half price will do the half of work. Don't waist your money for sht just do it in the proper way.

And sorry for my english))
Just for reference, a pair of PS2 in the rear cost $1,200 in Canada before installation.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Just for reference, a pair of PS2 in the rear cost $1,200 in Canada before installation.
Just curious, have you looked at options S of the border? Even accounting for taxes, duties, and exchange you will pay nowhere near $1,200 for 2x tires.

PSS (updated version of PS2) in 255/30ZR19 (most expensive OE size for rears you could be looking at) are USD$269 a piece right now at Tire Rack, so USD$538.

Shipping, duty, HST, brokerage and Ontario tire tax (collected by Tire Rack) is USD$199.33.

So shipped to your door the pair is USD$737.33 all tax and duty in. Even allowing a fairly liberal 1.15 exchange you're looking at less than CAD $850. You can save even more if you're willing to drive down to Buffalo and pick them up from a package receiving service (even if -- like me -- you're ultra honest and pay all of the duty and HST owing at the border).

You can have these installed and mounted at the shop of your choice and still be way ahead.

Also I think Simply Tire has PSS in that size for $315 ea mounted + tax which is an even cheaper option if you're in GTA.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

The PS2 shouldn't be an option as the michelin PSS is better in every way. I'd recommend either the PSS or the Hankook RS3 if you want more grip and longevity isn't a big issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle
Quote:
Just curious, have you looked at options S of the border? Even accounting for taxes, duties, and exchange you will pay nowhere near $1,200 for 2x tires.

PSS (updated version of PS2) in 255/30ZR19 (most expensive OE size for rears you could be looking at) are USD$269 a piece right now at Tire Rack, so USD$538.

Shipping, duty, HST, brokerage and Ontario tire tax (collected by Tire Rack) is USD$199.33.

So shipped to your door the pair is USD$737.33 all tax and duty in. Even allowing a fairly liberal 1.15 exchange you're looking at less than CAD $850. You can save even more if you're willing to drive down to Buffalo and pick them up from a package receiving service (even if -- like me -- you're ultra honest and pay all of the duty and HST owing at the border).

You can have these installed and mounted at the shop of your choice and still be way ahead.

Also I think Simply Tire has PSS in that size for $315 ea mounted + tax which is an even cheaper option if you're in GTA.
Thanks for the info, tirerack is $1,100 shipping and duties included and I contacted Bailey Tire in Buffalo, roughly $850 (plus the local tax rate?) Buffalo trip would require the better part of the day though.

I was thinking of staying with the PS2 as my fronts are still in really good shape after a season and a bit (reason I was looking for rears only, and to keep a matching set) I may have to ditch the run flats altogether and go the route of the PSS instead.
Appreciate 0