E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Flappy Paddles?

05-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #111
gizard
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91 335d

Hi All. First post here so Hello All.

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #112
Futie
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 4cyl 16v 150hp

Please take a look here and comment if you want.
Thank you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=75
      06-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #113
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
how much do you want for the single way paddles?

PM if easier
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #114
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post

any comments?

cheers

G.
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #115
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #116
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.
hi ian, i emailed them twice to see if they had any advice in swopping the paddles but they never responded! this kit is a total retrofit kit which i think is relatively easy. im waiting to see what h+c have to say on monday otherwise i think i will have to send them back (more problems no doubt!)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #117
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
Acerboo

I have responded to your PM, but having seen the latest posts here by Gizard, he suggests the new switches change resistance rather than being open/ close, I think this means the newer switches [LCi] will not work with pre LCi cars without some coding if at all.

PS Gizard are you also from the Isle of Wight?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #118
larryzhou
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i mt

any progress for the new style shifters?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #119
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryzhou View Post
any progress for the new style shifters?
yes i have them working now, i got mine from nexon motors on ebay, the 1st set we could not get to work, i told nexon and he sent another set he said had been modifired , i took these to h+c motors in maidstone and he got them to work with some rewiring, cost me £80, which was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #120
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #121
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
about £240 for the paddles + £80 fitting
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #122
Adil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci M Sport

Can anyone do this on a performance bmw steering wheel (Auto)? Would it be relativelyt he same to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #123
EQUANT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d

I also mounted the LCI paddles on my 2010 320d. Had to remove both rezistors in each paddle and jump one of them with a small wire.
They work perfectly.
      12-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #124
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

i have a 2006 330d. if i retro fit paddles will they work in D mode also?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #125
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
i have a 2006 330d. if i retro fit paddles will they work in D mode also?
They cannot and will not work in D mode.
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
      12-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #126
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
it looks like Dr. Dave works fine and reading what he drove was an 06 330d so very confusing!

also read somewhere in US that need some sort of module if weve got the older cars.

if you crack the code please do let me know. ive got the steering wheel and ill be happy to drive down.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #127
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Just a quick thought, I've got an aftermarket BT Kit, so the actual BMW buttons are useless to me, I was wondering if you could do a cheaper version of the mod using the two 'spare' buttons on the multi function? I know it's not ideal, but I might have a look. Anyone taken the multi function buttons apart? I take it that they aren't individually wired?

Oh reason I mentioned this, I'm struggling to get a wheel at a half decent price, so if anyone knows of anywhere good to get one let me know, ebay has a couple, but they are all manky and scuffed etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #128
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Watching this one Sam!!!!!!!
      12-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #129
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo
Quote:
Watching this one Sam!!!!!!!
Plan was to try it when I fit in your car but that has changed as you know.
      12-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #130
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
it looks like Dr. Dave works fine and reading what he drove was an 06 330d so very confusing!

also read somewhere in US that need some sort of module if weve got the older cars.

if you crack the code please do let me know. ive got the steering wheel and ill be happy to drive down.
I've just finished fitting this to my car and it won't work when in normal D mode. Only when in sport mode.

Again if it is something that is cracked I'd be very interested in go having it sorted on mine.

Chuffed to bits with the result thus far though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #131
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
I've just finished fitting this to my car and it won't work when in normal D mode. Only when in sport mode.

Again if it is something that is cracked I'd be very interested in go having it sorted on mine.

Chuffed to bits with the result thus far though
well done
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #132
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

im in the same situ, but i think it has somthing to do with the multifunction buttons, there different for cars without baddle shifters, and if you do the direct connection via the spare holes you essentially by by-passing the cars system that tells the modules the change in d mode.

i red the advert on the burgertuning site and it says.

"PLEASE READ BEFORE ORDERING: We do not sell any OEM parts. In addition to the harness, install guide, and tech support we provide you with the OEM BMW part numbers required to complete the retrofit. After receiving our harness you will also need to separately purchase a paddle shift steering wheel (one with cutouts for paddles), the paddle shifters, and the exact steering wheel control module (buttons on the wheel) we list in the install guide."
Appreciate 0