E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > AA DP install at home on RHD

06-01-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Auto

AA DP install at home on RHD

Finally finished installing a set of Active Autowerkes DPs I bought on the GB in this forum a month or so ago. There are various threads around on installing DPs on LHD cars so I'll only post a few bits here that I think are relevant to the AA pipes themself or the RHD installation.

My car is a E92 2008 335i with about 25k's on the clock.

1. The strip down is the same as the LHD process, however I found that moving the steering rack back and very slightly to the drivers side gave me the best access. I didn't need to remove any other steering arms etc.

2. I sprayed all nuts and O2 sensors and they all came off ok.

3. The front DP comes off first which opens up access to get to the rear DP once the front one is removed. You can then get two hands into the space, one via the front opening over the steering rack and the other through the area that the is opened up with the removal of the front DP.

4. I used an open ended spanner (22mm) to undo the o2 sensors. I actually had and old spanner that I cut one end off so the it would fit easier (it wasn't 22mm so I had to file it to it was!)

5. Once both pipes were out I tried to fit the rear AA downpipe. This produce two issues that stopped me in my tracks. Firstly as many have said the rear o2 sensor on the pipe fouled the steering rack....just. Some people have had a new bung welded in.... I didn't. I fitted a bolt into the bung with a nut to protect the thread and then I used the bolt as leverage to bend the bung slightly to clear the rack.....it worked. I made sure that with the o2 sensor back in the sensor is at 90 degrees to the exhaust flow.....important from what I've read. Anyway, another documented issue with the AA down-pipes is that the collar that mates to the turbos is thicker then the stock pipes making it very very difficult to get the clamps back on. I used a dolly and a hammer to gently widen the clamps by working them around the dolly to widen the V band by 1-1.5mm. When the clamps are put back on the orignal bolts are to short so I had to buy 2 longer ones (8mm x 1.25). I bought extra long ones fully threaded and cut them down.

6. Any way.....with the rear pipe on I installed the front one.The front one hit in two places that required me to slightly indent the front pipe to get the appropriate clearance. A press would have been nice for this however I used a ball pien hammer in a gentle manner. There was effectively very little reduction in x-section.

Any way thats my 6 cents worth. I was quoted about 5 hrs and $500+ dollars for someone to do this on a straightforward fit basis, so I assume it would have cost me a couple of hundred more with these pipes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Very nice. Kind of annoying that there are still some issues with clearance and the O2 bungs with even mid priced pipes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Thanks for posting pics.

Have you experienced any difference in steering alignment? I notice there is a witness mark from the steering rack bolt washer where it bolts to the chassis. I would assume that if you line up the steering rack bolt and washer with the witness mark, there should be no change in steering geometry and car should steer exactly the same as prior to catless DP install. Did you encounter any issues that would prevent this from happening?
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Thanks for posting pics.

Have you experienced any difference in steering alignment? I notice there is a witness mark from the steering rack bolt washer where it bolts to the chassis. I would assume that if you line up the steering rack bolt and washer with the witness mark, there should be no change in steering geometry and car should steer exactly the same as prior to catless DP install. Did you encounter any issues that would prevent this from happening?
Mmmm didn't notice any change or issue. I find it hard to imagine that much can go astray on this......the rack's two bolts are located through the mounting points top and bottom......not a lot of play really.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Nice right up.
Are you loving that spoolin noise.
I have the AA's and the turbo spool is really loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Nice right up.
Are you loving that spoolin noise.
I have the AA's and the turbo spool is really loud.
Certainly can hear them........ Thinking of getting a ets fmic ...... How do you find yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelpolar View Post
Mmmm didn't notice any change or issue. I find it hard to imagine that much can go astray on this......the rack's two bolts are located through the mounting points top and bottom......not a lot of play really.
Good to hear. The US guys have had some issues with steering to the point they have needed a wheel alignment. Dont know whats going on there then.

Also some guys have not tightened up steering rack bolts enough causing movement of the rack which results in a knocking sound when steering. That is expected.

Glad to hear it all went well. Just need to line up my mechanic. I have gone the AR Design route so hopefully install will go smoothly.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I have got a couple of engine check lights today when driving. Looks like the procede can clear may not work with my Jan 2008 build date dme software. May need to change my harness back so I can run the proced o2 sim.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Good to hear. The US guys have had some issues with steering to the point they have needed a wheel alignment. Dont know whats going on there then.

Also some guys have not tightened up steering rack bolts enough causing movement of the rack which results in a knocking sound when steering. That is expected.

Glad to hear it all went well. Just need to line up my mechanic. I have gone the AR Design route so hopefully install will go smoothly.
You can get a decent length ring spanner onto the nuts on the top of the rack with a bit of fidgeting and then a torx socket on a 1/2 ratchet onto the bolt so tightening isn't really an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
frank35
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I JB3 DCI

Hello.
I am going to mount a dp aa, can you tell me what kind of obstacles I will find, and parts that do not come with the dp I need?

regards
Appreciate 0