E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Warranty Experience with JL 600/6

12-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

BMW Warranty Experience with JL 600/6

Has anyone ever had a problem with the JL 600/6 damaging the battery on their BMW? On Friday, my 335i sedan refused to start. It is still in warranty, so after jump starting the car, I dropped it off at BMW Momentum West in Houston. Several hours later I got a phone call from them saying my JL 600/6 had caused the battery damage and that I will have to pay $550 for them to install and register a replacement battery. They did not quarrel that the battery was bad, but they are definitely trying to hang the responsibility on the amplifier as it is the only thing on the car that BMW did not install. My car is just over 2 years old and has 37000 miles on it.

In order to get them to change the battery, I have had to agree to pay their obscene battery replacement charge if they are able to show that the damage to the battery was caused by the JL. Frankly, I am concerned that the BMW shop will do something to damage my amplifier to get the result they are clearly looking for.

Anyway, back to my original question, has anybody EVER had an experience like this with their JL amplifier?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

BMW Warranty Experience with JL 600/6

By the way. The amplifier has been installed in my car for over 18 months and has performed flawlessly during that time. The car never had any starting difficulty during that time. I installed the amplifier myself, so I know it was done right.

Over the course of the last 18+ months the amplifier has performed more reliably than the car.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Well if you were doing a lot of listening with the engine off then there could be a possibility of the amp contributing to the early demise of the battery. Otherwise it is likely not a factor. Doesn't sound like you can win the argument though and if it were me I'd just tell them to take a hike and buy a replacement battery elsewhere for a fraction of the price and either install it yourself or have an indy do it. Then find someone in your area who can do the registration. Should cost you no more than $200.
      12-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

The dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm not sure how you can prove that to them. I've been using close to 3000 watts rms for more than 2 years with no issues, and the battery I have actually has a lower AH rating than the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

On my 335d (with same amp) the amp is powered up as soon as the doors get unlocked it will stay like this as you open and close doors till you leave it alone. Then after about 5 mins it switches off. Not very clever but shouldn't kill the battery.

They probably see it in this condition and think the amp is permanently powered up, in which case they would be right to say the amp is an issue. I'd suggest its the dodgy wiring, I even get a hissing sound from the rear speakers without the key in the ignition or radio turned on (I noticed that on the stock amp).

On the battery front do they cover under warranty?

The Battery on my BMW bike was cheap and nasty and died inside 3 years BM didn't care they just wanted to fit another nasty one. 3 years later its still on the original. if you drive it every week not an issue leave for 3 and it won't start.

Modern cars drain lots of power with alarms etc.
Appreciate 0