E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 3rd head replacement

11-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
elester12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

3rd head replacement

I've about had it with my car and want to get rid of it. However, I am having trouble letting it go. It's probably because in my mind I know I paid over 50K for the car and feel if I sell it for the 28K its worth right now I'd be annoyed for a few years. I just came back home from a two hour visit to a local Audi dealership to test drive some cars. I was very close to signing the paperwork on a new S4 but ended up walking away. I realized I'm just concerned and should not do anything. I like to keep my cars for 150-200K miles before moving onto another. Will my 335D make it? Probably not.

The 335d's problem: My 2010 335d with 43K is in the shop having its head replaced for the third time. The only reason I took it in was for the check engine light coming back on over and over. Yes, I've had all the recalls done except this new one I keep reading about regarding the torque? The service advisor said there are no open recalls on my VIN. I drive this car 35 miles a day with a good mix of highway and city. I fill up at Shell which offers a higher cetane (I can't remember if it's 45 or 48). I drive hard on occasions and normal during traffic.

After having the EGR update done to my car I assumed this problem would be resolved.

Sorry for the venting but I'm annoyed with BMW and this car. I'm also thinking about selling the X5D i purchased for my parents just because it has the same engine. The days of diesels running past gas engines is long gone with all these new emissions and low cetane. I'm starting to think my 2010 328I will outlast my 335d.

My question to everyone on this forum: After having your EGR update done have you had your head replaced due to carbon buildup? How many of you are worried about this issue after the warranty period? I have an extended warranty but what about after that? I'm angry about purchasing a car that is somewhat has a short life.

Oh, and after talking to my tech he suggested I change my oil more often. How the heck would that help with carbon buildup?

On a side note. I wish bentley would make a service manual for our engine! When you look up information on the 335I or any older e46's you have people posting "How to's" left and right. On our cars its mostly "crap, its getting a new head"

Last edited by elester12; 11-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Interesting... I was looking at S4s today as well. This car just does not feel like a long term car. It is nice, but not nice enough to make it worth the headache. In order to tolerate the issues, it needs to be special in some way and not just a high torque grocery-getter with an auto box, no diff and no temperature gauges. I expected more out of BMW. -Michael
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I feel a lot of the issues with this car stem from the restrictive emissions that BMW has implemented in order to make it a "clean diesel". My 2009 335d has only 24,000 kms on it but two months ago they replaced my air intake manifold due to carbon build-up. Thankfully I had bought extended warranty a few weeks before that because it would have cost me almost $2000 after parts/labour. I only owe $3,000 on the car so right now I have no real issues and love it but I do know where your rage stems from. Trust me. I know.

If issues persist, I know of a local guy that can do a DPF delete. I'll do the whole removal of EGR and right down to the urea if I have to.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12
I've about had it with my car and want to get rid of it. However, I am having trouble letting it go. It's probably because in my mind I know I paid over 50K for the car and feel if I sell it for the 28K its worth right now I'd be annoyed for a few years. I just came back home from a two hour visit to a local Audi dealership to test drive some cars. I was very close to signing the paperwork on a new S4 but ended up walking away. I realized I'm just concerned and should not do anything. I like to keep my cars for 150-200K miles before moving onto another. Will my 335D make it? Probably not.

The 335d's problem: My 2010 335d with 43K is in the shop having its head replaced for the third time. The only reason I took it in was for the check engine light coming back on over and over. Yes, I've had all the recalls done except this new one I keep reading about regarding the torque? The service advisor said there are no open recalls on my VIN. I drive this car 35 miles a day with a good mix of highway and city. I fill up at Shell which offers a higher cetane (I can't remember if it's 45 or 48). I drive hard on occasions and normal during traffic.

After having the EGR update done to my car I assumed this problem would be resolved.

Sorry for the venting but I'm annoyed with BMW and this car. I'm also thinking about selling the X5D i purchased for my parents just because it has the same engine. The days of diesels running past gas engines is long gone with all these new emissions and low cetane. I'm starting to think my 2010 328I will outlast my 335d.

My question to everyone on this forum: After having your EGR update done have you had your head replaced due to carbon buildup? How many of you are worried about this issue after the warranty period? I have an extended warranty but what about after that? I'm angry about purchasing a car that is somewhat has a short life.

Oh, and after talking to my tech he suggested I change my oil more often. How the heck would that help with carbon buildup?

On a side note. I wish bentley would make a service manual for our engine! When you look up information on the 335I or any older e46's you have people posting "How to's" left and right. On our cars its mostly "crap, its getting a new head"
Do you drive it hard every day ?
If Not ! Do it!
It Will solve all ur problem!
Nothing else to say!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Do you drive it hard every day ?
If Not ! Do it!
It Will solve all ur problem!
Nothing else to say!
When was the last time you scoped your intake or removed your head to inspect your engine? Just because your SES light has not ocme on yet does not mean you do not have carbon build-up accumulating on your cylinder walls or intake track.

While I do not disagree with your statement in the sense these engines (like most diesel engines) like to pushed it is a stretch to suggest this somehow a cure. Similar to your personal experience there are plenty of owners out there that do not drive their cars hard and have yet to experience this problem.

IMO the jury is still out regarding the cause and while I feel it is somehow EGR related I cannot say with certainty, but what I do not know is, this is not a problem in Europe and their cars utilize a different EGR.

OP sorry to hear, I would try to work out a "buy-back" with BMW. I see you're in the DC area, what dealer is doing your work?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
elester12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I do drive this car very hard. I don't agree with some people saying on this forum to drive it hard and you'll have no issues with the carbon.

I'm going to guess its with the EGR and diesel cetane. I would delete my egr and DPF but I hear one can go to jail for removing them.

Right now I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to sell it and just go buy an Audi s4.

The car is at Sterling and I've already maxed my options out with BMW NA. Again, I love this car but I am really pissed at BMW NA for even bringing this car to the states.

Last edited by elester12; 11-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: forgot..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Go to jail for removing egr & dpf... Lol how many "modded" cars/trucks do you think are on the road with no catalytic converters or other missing emissions equipment?
I guess that is one good thing about living in a state with no vehicle inspection or emission testing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
I do drive this car very hard. I don't agree with some people saying on this forum to drive it hard and you'll have no issues with the carbon.

I'm going to guess its with the EGR and diesel cetane. I would delete my egr and DPF but I hear one can go to jail for removing them.

Right now I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to sell it and just go buy an Audi s4.

The car is at Sterling and I've already maxed my options out with BMW NA. Again, I love this car but I am really pissed at BMW NA for even bringing this car to the states.
What do you mean you've "maxed" your optionsout with BMW NA? If they are not buying back your car then you hve not maed out your options. Lemon your car dude! Demand they buy it back!

I would also contact BMW Group through their website telling your story. Then post your story on BMW Group's Facebook page - they just love when customers like you post their experience for all the world to see. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
since you bought it new its best to check lemon law of your state. Either there is manufacturing defect or dealer is not competent to fix issue. I suggest pursue both avenues: lemon law and try another dealer. Dont loose $22K for another $3k and I suggest you get extended warranty if it gets fixed and you plan on keeping it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
MD Lemon Law

Here are the highlights...
Quote:
Maryland's Lemon Law applies to new or leased motor vehicles (including cars, light trucks and motorcycles), registered in Maryland, that are less than 24 months old and have been driven less than 18,000 miles. The law provides for consumers whose cars meet certain criteria to receive a refund or a replacement vehicle if repair attempts have failed to correct a problem, and the problem substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle.

The law provides that a dealer or manufacturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:

A brake or steering failure that was not corrected after the first repair attempt, and that causes the vehicle to fail Maryland's safety inspection; or
Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or
Any number of problems that substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle that have caused it to be out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If you suspect your car is a lemon -- for example, if the dealer has tried once or twice unsuccessfully to repair the problem and you believe the problem substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle -- you should write to the manufacturer immediately. You do not need to wait until the dealer has made the four repair attempts, or until the car has been out of service for 30 days.
Quote above from http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/lemon.htm

It is the mileage that is going to give you an issue, but there is no reason you can't sell/trade in if you really want to. Personally, I would purchase an extended warranty, and if you're still not comfortable with the car by 100k then sell it. At least you will reduce your losses per year by extending your period of ownership.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 11-26-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Did you ever use any aftermarket tunes (JBD, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
what is the warranty on the head/repair. for example, if you get a 4th, at 2 months prior to your original warranty expiration, would the latest repair extend the warranty on related items for an additional 10 months?
      11-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Amigo damn you're SOL. I wish you well and very true to get rid of this excellent car is very difficult i gather no other car outhere for this price can come close to its performance and mileage. Wait for the AUDI 6 cyl Diesels coming out next year. best of luck!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Not worth the headache. I suggest selling it. You've driven it for well over 2 years and the car didn't depreciate that much. Some people lease these cars for 600 a month. If you factor in how long you have owned it and the depreciation is around that much you are getting a fair deal out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
What do you mean you've "maxed" your optionsout with BMW NA? If they are not buying back your car then you hve not maed out your options. Lemon your car dude! Demand they buy it back!

I would also contact BMW Group through their website telling your story. Then post your story on BMW Group's Facebook page - they just love when customers like you post their experience for all the world to see. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Good luck and keep us posted!
+1

BMW took my 135i back after multiple HPFP failures plus complete ECU meltdown. IMO you should try to lemon your car.
Appreciate 0