E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Idrive backup MP3 to USB

05-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #45
PooLBoYJc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I keep getting the error that the thumb drive ran out of space, but I'm putting in a 64 gb thumbdrive. Any solutions?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #46
iwantaw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

hello. I downloaded the bmwconv.exe file and I get an error when trying to launch it. MIssing cygwin1.dll I"m on windows 7 x64. any advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #47
junb112706
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BR-Converter

lucho1970, could you please share with me your BR-Converter? Here is my email: junb112706@yahoo.com. I am anticipating my thanks....
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #48
MaitreyaBuddha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Hi everyone,
I have recently stumbled upon this post - in response to another BMW user's job post on another completely different site - and so decided to write a wee program to convert BR5 files to .WMV.

Its a simple 32-bit WIndows command-line application. SHould run on ALL version of Windows(XP, Vista, Win7, Win 8) 32-bit AND .. 64-bit.
If you want to convert 100s of files, and would like me to help you, let me know. Or, you this program and process one file at a time.

Download link:
http://snk.to/f-cdt8o5mu

usage is simple:
After unzipping the single .exe file in to any folder, open a Windows command-prompt and change to that folder. Then type:

BR5_to_WMV_Convertor.exe your_chosen_BR5_filename.BR5

it will output the converted .WMV file as :
your_chosen_BR5_filename.WMV

Simple! enJOy!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #49
Flavia88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hello everyone! I have the same problem with converting the BR files into mp3 and I couldn't find any program to do that . Lucho or anyone else who has that converting program please, can you send it to me? If no, my music is gone (((. Although I am working at BMW in Romania, no one knows how to convert BR Files . My e-mail address is : flavia.curutiu@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #50
iwantaw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

You have to run the program in dos.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #51
Sam210703
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: BMW3-series

Backup Audio Files

HI

can't open this programm can someone send me a link i can use.Lucho or anyone else who has that converting program please, can you send it to me?

my email adress is amir_ghanim@hotmail.com

thanx
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #52
Sam210703
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: BMW3-series

MaitreyaBuddha i have like 200 tracks i would like to backup, and your help will be more than welcome.

i ve tried ur batch but it doesnt open my files anyway, any help, thx
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #53
kafeend
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I know this post is a little old, but the bmwconv.exe app helped me out. This is what I did to get it to work on a Windows 7 computer.

To get bmwconv.exe to work (Windows 7) correctly please follow the steps below:

install x86 and x64 versions of Cygwin if you are on a 64 bit OS
https://cygwin.com/install.html

add C:\cygwin\bin\;C:\cygwin64\bin\ to your Path under advanced System properties>Environment variables (see link below)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...in-eclipse-cdt

Once you have cygwin installed, run the powershell script below which utilizes the bmwconv.exe to convert your music. This script should be ran in the folder where your music is stored via Powershell.

ls | format-list Name > music.txt #pipes the names of the files out to a text file. you will need to remove "Name : " from in front of every line with replace.
$music = gc "music.txt" #creates an array of the music file names
foreach ($song in $music) { #parses through each file
cmd /c "C:\DirectoryOfConverter\bmwconv.exe" $song #executes bmwconv.exe for each song in the array,
}

There will be some file not found errors due to the extra carriage returns, those can be safely ignored or you can delete each one, line by line or with some utility. I did't have the time or patience to do it last night. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, this worked successfully for me last night on my windows 7 machine converting 500+ songs.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #54
vseven
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

I registered simply to re-repost the conversion program (as people still are having issues finding it) and to post a modified batch file. The problem with the original is it wouldn't convert a file with a space in the name. The new batch file will not only convert a file with a space in it but if you run it in the root of your USB drive or whatnot it will go through each directory and convert all the BR5's to WMAs.

Here is the new batch file that's in the zip so you can see the changes:

for /F "delims=" %%a in ('dir *.br5 /b /s') do bmwconv "%%a"

Hopefully it helps someone out. I take no credit for the conversion program, just the modified batch file.

-Allan
Attached Files
File Type: zip bmwconv.zip (30.5 KB, 3449 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #55
baye92m3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

bmwconv worked great, and vseven, your batch file worked perfectly (after I changed it to BR4 from BR5, given that I have MP3s, not WMAs). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #56
bmwcone
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool bmwconv

Thanks vseven (and everyone else who contributed), bmwconv worked fantastically for me.

I did however, noticed a small glitch/bug with it.

I had over 500 files to convert, and about 30 of them didn't for some reason.

Upon further investigation, I found that if the filenames had any apostrophes ( ' ) in them, the script would give me an error for that file.

I know this is a common thing in PHP/Javascript/SQL, so I'm guessing something in the script doesn't account for this.

I simply renamed the files and removed all apostrophes, and then they converted perfectly.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Thanks again for this script! It worked great!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #57
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

I got this to work:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...or-windows.zip

I had to drag and drop each file in to the BMWConv program one at a time though but the conversion is instant so it didn't take very long.
2011 335D M-Sport: Nav, Cold Weather, Harmon Kardon L7 Premium. Mods: Full M3 Interior & M3 Rear Spoiler, JBD Tuner, Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitters, LED Angel Eyes, K&N Filter, LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber Door Handle & Key Entry Accents.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #58
centurix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i, Toyota Hilux

Smile Forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Or if I've accidentally risen a dead thread

Hopefully this is of help to someone who stumbles across this thread looking for a way to unpack/re-pack BMW iDrive music backups.

Wife asked me to decipher the contents of her series 4 music backup so she can make some changes, fix metadata and add album covers to music. Got to work and deciphered the contents (I wish I'd found this post before I started, would've given me a good head start) worked through to understand every byte in a backup, enough to not just be able to convert a backup to regular files, but also to take a collection of regular files and re-make the backup that can be restored back into the car. Wrote up what I found about the contents in a wiki and created Python scripts:

bmwunpack - Convert from backup to files
bmwpack - Convet from unpacked files to a backup
bmwcreatenewbackup - Create a folder structure expected for a backup
bmwconvert - Take a folder just full of music and create a new backup to restore

There's a bunch of instructions in the repository. It is a terminal/command line tool.

Usual disclaimer about risk. I've only tested this on an up to date BMW 435i iDrive system. Look forward to any feedback. It's on github so you can make PR's or raise issues if you want and I can fix if needed.

Open to suggestions.
https://github.com/Centurix/idrivetools

Here's a bunch of information about the backup format specification. As of the version we run, the specification covers 100% of the bytes: https://github.com/Centurix/idriveto...-Specification
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #59
jamie72
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw E90

Br4 file converter

Hello,

Please can you send me the BR4 file converter to jamieruthven@hotmail.com

Regards Jamie
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #60