E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Clutch Replacement for the N52

10-16-2022, 11:10 PM   #45
Sendmewagons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

I noticed the PDF does not mention loctite for the flywheel bolts. ISTA factory procedure does not either. The Bentley says to use new self-locking bolts, but the BMW bolts do not have loctite pre-applied on them. I guess I am used to them coming with loctite on them..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...lt-11227520706

Can anyone chime in on what they did? I just installed without loctite, but I'm a bit weary of that now...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #46
Adam130i
Registered
Rep
Drives: e87 130i; e46 320i; e36 318is

Bolt tightening torque sequence

Hi all, great manual. I did my clutch job just a few days ago. I also struggled a lot with the top 2 bolts. They were 1hour/bolt :-/
After I finished the torque tightening I realized that there is a bracket for the reverse light switch cable which is held by the 2 alu E18 screws on the left side. Since these are not reusable I had to buy another set of alu screws. I just wanted to replace thoose bolts and put the bracket beneath them, and this is not a big deal, thoose bolts are fairly easy to get to. But meanwhile I checked the BMW TIS manual again and realized that there is a bolt tightening sequence only for the n52 magnesium block. I cheked it for all other engines, but no tightening sequence is defined for them, but only for the N52. Needless to say i did not torqed them down with the given seqence, but I applied the given torque+ angle, starting with the bigger bolts and somewhat criss cross pattern. Now the big quiestion: since I bought a new set of screws I could do the tightening sequence described by BMW by loosening all bolts and replacing all the alus, but for me it would take a lot of time, or I could just replace the 2 E18 which should hold the bracket for the reverse light switch cable fairly quick. At the moment Te car can be driven, there are no issues, threads bellhousing , engine seems to be ok. Are there somebody who did the bolt tightening squence according to BMW TIS specification or everybody just torqued them in a random sequence? Is it worth to take the time and tighten screws in the given sequence according to BMW TIS? I think the most of the workshops do it without knowing that there should be a sequence (Pelican maual doesn't mention this neither). Since the connecting surfaces are not sealed, the only thing i could imagine is that the magnesium block or the threads in the magnesium block are prone to wear if the tightening sequence is not the right one, but cannot really imagine what could it cause if the sequence is not the specified.

Last edited by Adam130i; 11-05-2022 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #47
Sendmewagons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
I noticed the PDF does not mention loctite for the flywheel bolts. ISTA factory procedure does not either. The Bentley says to use new self-locking bolts, but the BMW bolts do not have loctite pre-applied on them. I guess I am used to them coming with loctite on them..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...lt-11227520706

Can anyone chime in on what they did? I just installed without loctite, but I'm a bit weary of that now...
Efthreeoh Any comment here? I ask because my flywheel and pressure plate are already on.. debating if I should buy another set so I can put loctite on.

Also re-reading the attached PDF the torque for the flywheel bolts is listed as 65 ft-lb. Bentley and ISTA have 120Nm (88 ft-lb)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:23 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
Efthreeoh Any comment here? I ask because my flywheel and pressure plate are already on.. debating if I should buy another set so I can put loctite on.

Also re-reading the attached PDF the torque for the flywheel bolts is listed as 65 ft-lb. Bentley and ISTA have 120Nm (88 ft-lb)
I checked my DIY found that I wrote "xx" for the torque spec. I guess I planned on consulting the Bently manual to fill in the blanks and never fixed the citation.

I did not use loctite on the flywheel bolts.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0