E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ordered my new car today.....

04-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #67
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Told you I knew n'owt about buying through the military discount system........

Back to my original conspiracy theory then. Seriously though it does seem strange and apart from being extremely annoying and frustrating, it's bloody baffling tbh.

If I get chance over the weekend I may make a call to a BMW sales manager I know and see if I can gleen anything.

Can't see there being any difference just because it's a M car, especially the way BMW production lines are set up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #68
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Told you I knew n'owt about buying through the military discount system........

Back to my original conspiracy theory then. Seriously though it does seem strange and apart from being extremely annoying and frustrating, it's bloody baffling tbh.

If I get chance over the weekend I may make a call to a BMW sales manager I know and see if I can gleen anything.
Thanks Helen I honesty think there is a lull in E90 M3 (UK spec) production at the moment, there are none on the production line apparantly. My sales rep spoke directly with M division and they dont know what production week the cars will start getting built again - i believe the rep - i just dont appreciate being told that August is 'worse case' when clearly it isnt.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #69
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
WTF?!
Almost exactly what i said to my dealer this morning!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #70
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update 2!

UPDATE: Unbelievable news this morning! Received a phone call from my dealer while i was still in bed, my car has been allocated a week 25 build slot (mid June!!) and i should expect to take delivery at the end of July/start of August Only yesterday i was being told that this was impossible and that i was realistically looking at October and beyond. Don't know how this could change in 24hrs but to be honest i don't care.
Someone has obviously been given poor information but the upshot is my car should be here in time for the summer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #71
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Great news

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #72
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
In for pics of delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #73
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Dont know if dealers get a certain allocation of M cars per year but sounded a load of shite to me the story you were being told.

Maybe they got a build slot of another dealer??

Build week 25 is week beginning 21st June, usually 3 weeks later for delivery unless M's take longer.........
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #74
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
That's good news Steve!

Think I'd still want to know who is the ministry of mis-information out of curiosity and remind them about customer service etc, etc. Without feedback they won't make the effort to improve.

This car better live upto your expectations eh!! You have driven one or even a few haven't you?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #75
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Great news
Thanks mate - i heard that your car had been delayed as well, when are you expecting delivery of the big D?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #76
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In for pics of delivery.
Not great with a camera Sunny but i'll take plenty for you
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #77
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
Dont know if dealers get a certain allocation of M cars per year but sounded a load of shite to me the story you were being told.

Maybe they got a build slot of another dealer??

Build week 25 is week beginning 21st June, usually 3 weeks later for delivery unless M's take longer.........
Agree with you mate, something changed from me leaving yesterday being told that even the worst case scenario of August wasnt achievable and telling them i was going to have a think about what i was going to do over the weekend, to this morning being told that actually i have the best case scenario. Very strange - i would like to give them the benefit of the doubt though- maybe they were just passing on what they had been told by someone else who didnt really know
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #78
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Not great with a camera Sunny but i'll take plenty for you
You don't have to be good with a camera Steve to make an E90 M3 LCI look good
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #79
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's good news Steve!

Think I'd still want to know who is the ministry of mis-information out of curiosity and remind them about customer service etc, etc. Without feedback they won't make the effort to improve.

This car better live upto your expectations eh!! You have driven one or even a few haven't you?
Hi Helen, i have driven a E93 M3 DCT but only for 10 mins so was unable to really get a feel for the car. I have really gone in blind with this car but i cannot imagine i will be disappointed with a new M3. I was not 100% happy with the handling and dynamics in the 335 and that is generally regarded as being one of the best handling sports saloons on the market.
So for me the only options were E90 M3 or C63.
I know you are not a fan of the M3, what was it you didnt like when you drove one?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #80
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to be good with a camera Steve to make an E90 M3 LCI look good
I saw an E90 M3 (space gray) last month when i was in Munich for a Champions league game and it looked much better in the flesh than in pics i'd seen. Its the only one i have seen in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #81
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Something i just want to clarify - the reason that it was a tough call for me if i had to wait until Oct or Nov is that from April next year i will be overseas for a long period and will not be able to use the car. Also the German weather really kicks in from Dec - Mar so i would get hardly any use out of the car...........i was not just being impatient and throwing my toys out of the pram
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #82
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Hi Helen, i have driven a E93 M3 DCT but only for 10 mins so was unable to really get a feel for the car. I have really gone in blind with this car but i cannot imagine i will be disappointed with a new M3. I was not 100% happy with the handling and dynamics in the 335 and that is generally regarded as being one of the best handling sports saloons on the market. So for me the only options were E90 M3 or C63.
I know you are not a fan of the M3, what was it you didnt like when you drove one?
Hi Steve. Firstly it's not a case of not liking the M3. I think it has good road presence and does what it's designed to do. I'm also sure you won't be disappointed either tbh as the car will deliver what you're looking for over the 335i which imho is more a grand tourer like the S5 than a sports car in the strictest sense of the term.

The M3 is specifically designed and produced to be more sports orientated, chassis, suspension set up and brakes to name an obvious few. The essentials are also 'beefed up' accordingly.

Why is the M3 not for me........ I've driven three now, all manuals. Admittedly the last one I drove I'd just got out of my 997 Turbo so the M3 had a lot to live up to but I was determined to be objective as I had accepted the Porsche was going to allow us to finish the house, downsize to a smaller property eventually and THEN, get another 997 Turbo I note you've ordered one with DCT and I have to admit I haven't driven one with DCT and maybe I should.

For me the engine is too revvy and lacks torque for my preferred style of driving and in manual guise requires far too much effort for everyday driving. I found the chassis set up good on all three I've driven and they all felt planted and solid at three figure speeds. I wish they'd made the interiors that bit more different form the other 3 Series range, I'd 'lived' with that same interior before on my two beemers and wished it felt more 'special' and set the car apart if that makes sense. Also, all three I've driven have had what I would class as unacceptable rattles on a car of that price tag (doesn't mean to say yours will of course).

Ultimately nothing major, buy enough to hold me back as I felt it would be a compromise too far after the Porsche. Nothing was going to be as fast or as dynamic as the Porsche to drive and have that immense grip and overall adrenalin rush and fun factor........think that covers it lol. Nothing other than another supercar could match the Turbo therefore everyday driveability was more important to me, hence the S5 sits on the drive. It's not a sports car imo but a very competent grand tourer which has surprised me once or twice with what it actually is capable of and sitting inside it is a nice place to be tbh.

At the end of the day it boils down to personal choice and what we all want out of a car. One thing is for sure though, V8 engines DO sound so NICE.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #83
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
One thing is for sure though, V8 engines DO sound so NICE.
Oh yeah!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #84
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Is this with Park Lane?

I found they were always 100% straight with me on Mil/Diplo orders - and if anything they got better / earlier slots than 'normal' UK customers, even on M cars.

I can believe that with so few M3 E90s are being bought in the UK that the Regensburg (?) plant are perhaps facing difficult questions over production volume and scheduling - but perhaps they've sorted it.

I love the E90 version by the way - much cooler than an E92, though as so many prefer the E92 I fear resale may be challenge - how long are you keeping it?

I love that silver leather, but I'd probably chicken out and get black!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #85
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

For me the engine is too revvy...
??
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #86
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
??
You serious and have you ever driven one?

There's not much going on below 5k revs including torque - with a manual box it equates to a lot of 'work' to get things moving as quickly as you'd like. Similar thoughts re. the RS5 tbh although they've stuffed some decent torque figures in there to be fair. Also the dual clutch systems tend to alleviate much of that 'effect' from what I've been told by people who actually own a M3.

Step out of a car producing 480 bhp and copious amounts of torque available way down the rev range ............note the difference.

Along with everything else I said, that is my opinion and choice. Certainly not a question of not liking the M3 per se.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #87
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You serious and have you ever driven one?

There's not much going on below 5k revs including torque - with a manual box it equates to a lot of 'work' to get things moving as quickly as you'd like. Similar thoughts re. the RS5 tbh although they've stuffed some decent torque figures in there to be fair. Also the dual clutch systems tend to alleviate much of that 'effect' from what I've been told by people who actually own a M3.

Step out of a car producing 480 bhp and copious amounts of torque available way down the rev range ............note the difference.

Along with everything else I said, that is my opinion and choice. Certainly not a question of not liking the M3 per se.
I was only being tongue in cheek. Personnally, I love revvy cars - so there is an argument to say a car can never be too revvy* which is what I was getting at - though I can see why they are not to everyones taste. I've not driven an E92 M3, but owned an E46 M3 that was also very revvy and similar in nature - its true nothing happens low down, and you need to venture towards 8k on the clock to get it flying, but it many ways that makes it a more enjoyable drivers can for hanging onto revs in corners etc. in my opinion.

Many years ago I had an Mk1 Mr2 that had very little torque but was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven and loved being on the 7.6k redline. A 3.2 911 has a fair but of torque, but it is still far more fun to rev it hard to the redline - it sounds best then too.

I do understand the appeal of lots of torque though - having lots of it is one of the 330ds best features - but a (relative) lack of it doesn't spoil M3s in my opinion.

* obviously some race cars can be so revvy as to be undrivable on roads - but I don't think an M3 is in this category.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #88
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
makes it a more enjoyable drivers can for hanging onto revs in corners etc. in my opinion.
I agree, all that noise and commotion going on certainly gives that perception.

Quote:
I do understand the appeal of lots of torque though - having lots of it is one of the 330ds best features - but a (relative) lack of it doesn't spoil M3s in my opinion.
No, that one fact along doesn't spoil the car for me. But add my other (just personal) findings from the 3 I've driven and not what I'd spend my hard earned on. The manual gearboxes in all 3 were very notchy and I drive my cars every single day and have to 'live' with them and find the best compromise.

Although Audi have given the new RS5 what appears to be on paper, adequate amounts of torque coupled with bhp, I still need to drive one to 'experience' the whole package.

I'm sure Steve will love his new M3 and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.
Appreciate 0