E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 0.5 GB and 8 GB USB flash drives - which format? FAT or FAT32

07-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

0.5 GB and 8 GB USB flash drives - which format? FAT or FAT32

Not a lot of posts here... and reading on the net isn't making it much clearer, with people saying both are good! Some said below 2 GB one should use one system (FAT I think) but above 2 GB, must use FAT32.

What are you all using? The 0.5 GB one I've been using before I got the new 8 GB one was already formatted as FAT, and it seems to be working fine.

The new 8 GB one I'm having issues with in terms of each time I start car, it starts playing the first song of the first directory on the drive, instead of the last song that was playing when I shut off the car, so I'm wondering if the formatting of it might be the cause (I've not checked yet what format it was out of the box)... or could it be the brand?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

yepp, above (I guess) 4GB (or 2? doesnt matter) U cant use FAT, only FAT32. Your flash drive should be already preformatted to fat32 already, so U're good to go

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Ha, nobody can say I dont use "search".

Anyway, I dont think this is common knowledge, but it should be for EVERYBODY (not just you audioheads in this group) who wants to get the best audio quality out of their BMW with 6FL and the base US Professional Radio:

1. You can play WAV files directly off a device hooked up to the USB. This makes sense because CD audio files are essentially WAV files.

2. But first, you have to have a device (I am using a 64 GB thumb drive) formatted with FAT32 (I used 32k unit size and it works).

3. You can overcome the 32 GB device size limit with this application: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Now, I have not yet filled the thumb drive with more than 32 GB of wav files, but if I run into a problem with the BMW failing to recognize a drive with such a large amount of data on it, I will edit this post. I doubt this will happen because I saw a thread here where people were talking about success with external hard drives of 240+ GB.

So I am removing my iPod for a bit and using just a thumb drive because I believe the DAC in my car is better than the one in my Ipod. I am hoping I can random play the songs on the thumb drive, I dont see why my car cant do that. I will miss out on the ability to navigate by "artist" in the ipod from the car radio display, but if my wav files are named properly, it shouldnt be much of a problem.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Ha, nobody can say I dont use "search".

Anyway, I dont think this is common knowledge, but it should be for EVERYBODY (not just you audioheads in this group) who wants to get the best audio quality out of their BMW with 6FL and the base US Professional Radio:

1. You can play WAV files directly off a device hooked up to the USB. This makes sense because CD audio files are essentially WAV files.

2. But first, you have to have a device (I am using a 64 GB thumb drive) formatted with FAT32 (I used 32k unit size and it works).

3. You can overcome the 32 GB device size limit with this application: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Now, I have not yet filled the thumb drive with more than 32 GB of wav files, but if I run into a problem with the BMW failing to recognize a drive with such a large amount of data on it, I will edit this post. I doubt this will happen because I saw a thread here where people were talking about success with external hard drives of 240+ GB.

So I am removing my iPod for a bit and using just a thumb drive because I believe the DAC in my car is better than the one in my Ipod. I am hoping I can random play the songs on the thumb drive, I dont see why my car cant do that. I will miss out on the ability to navigate by "artist" in the ipod from the car radio display, but if my wav files are named properly, it shouldnt be much of a problem.
the newer Idrives just reads the songs from iOS apple devices with a single usb cable and does all the DAC stuff with the head unit instead of the apple devices.

i jailbroke my iPhone 5s and enabled disk mode so i can use the usb with single wire and listen to superior quality music compared to AUX cables & other wireless setups
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post
the newer Idrives just reads the songs from iOS apple devices with a single usb cable and does all the DAC stuff with the head unit instead of the apple devices.

i jailbroke my iPhone 5s and enabled disk mode so i can use the usb with single wire and listen to superior quality music compared to AUX cables & other wireless setups
So your iPhone is outputting a 44.1 kHz/16 bit stereo wav file to the USB port (I think the BMW DAC can only convert compatible wav or mp3 files)? That would be cool, then it would appear as a normal USB device in the BMW radio screen and you could load up the iOS device with apple lossless files with iTunes.

But now you lost the ability to navigate through the radio display by artist and album?

If so, it would make more sense to move the iPhone out of your armrest and mount it on the dashboard and you would have better control of the music than just using the radio screen anyway.

Only problem is cost and memory. iPhones with 64 GB are pretty pricey. I suppose if you already have one, it is fine. Do you think the latest iPods and Nanos are capable of outputting wav files through a USB too?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
So your iPhone is outputting a 44.1 kHz/16 bit stereo wav file to the USB port (I think the BMW DAC can only convert compatible wav or mp3 files)? That would be cool, then it would appear as a normal USB device in the BMW radio screen and you could load up the iOS device with apple lossless files with iTunes.

But now you lost the ability to navigate through the radio display by artist and album?

If so, it would make more sense to move the iPhone out of your armrest and mount it on the dashboard and you would have better control of the music than just using the radio screen anyway.

Only problem is cost and memory. iPhones with 64 GB are pretty pricey. I suppose if you already have one, it is fine. Do you think the latest iPods and Nanos are capable of outputting wav files through a USB too?
We'll most of my audio files are high quality so I would guess so. And if storage is an issue you can purchase mophie space pack..essentially it doables the memory and can drag and drop all your media toward the device and acts as a mass storage while also working with the iphone using the space app from the App Store.

Essentially my iphone becomes a usb mass storage device( I am non idrive) so if you do connect to a I drive it will read your iphone as a usb flash drive and yes you will have all the ability has before no loss what so ever.

I'm planning on getting the space pack either way.

I looked into doing an airplay setup but I found this route better for me

And about the file formats it's better to test them out, I'll try finding some wav files but I think most likely it will work
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
@RSNGH Cool.

Nice Avatar, reminds me of
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
@RSNGH Cool.

Nice Avatar, reminds me of
lol thanks found it while i was researching logo designers for my company on dribble
Appreciate 0