E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > vlogs. builds. life. by moserbmw

03-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

vlogs. builds. life. by moserbmw

Hi guys, I'm gonna keep this short because I know this is not what the forum is really about but as enthusiasts and what i aspire to be, I hope we can help each other. I recently started a youtube channel that will have a very professional feel towards it regarding the upload schedule, which will be 3 videos a week to start. The channel will include vlogs, builds of my car, and other enthusiast things (meets, maintenance, reviews). Enough of me babbling, hopefully the content can speak for itself.

Heres the link: youtube channel

I will be posting the most recent video from the week here:
future mods for my e90

and I will bump the thread every time I upload.

If any of you would enjoy to follow me through my build and journey i'd really appreciate it. Sorry in advance if this is kind of a spamming post but I thought maybe some of you car guys could enjoy it.
-Luke

Last edited by MoserBMW; 09-01-2016 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

hahabaha wtf!!!
      03-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Just a little tip: using no capital letters in your titles does not give the profession feel you're striving for. Good luck with your channel! It's not easy!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Hi,
Its a good start to any Youtube channel. You got it started at least! Here is what I think a good successful Youtube Channels have:

1. They have a script. Script is important because:
-So that you don't blabber on an on...it will also make you sound lot smarter on videos.
-It will discipline you to keep it simple (otherwise you will be writing long scripts).
-It will organize your video to tell a story.
-When you are editing, you have a reference (this will make you a better editor).

2. Use the best video audio equipment they can afford.

3. Staging (thinking about staging will help de-clutter your background and will focus on you where your personality will shine.

4. Good editing.

I hope this is not an unwanted advice but I watch a lot of good Youtube channels and wanted to encourage you. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Just a little tip: using no capital letters in your titles does not give the profession feel you're striving for. Good luck with your channel! It's not easy!
I actually enjoy no capital letters in my title, I'm doing it for sort of an artsy approach, but I appreciate the words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Hi,
Its a good start to any Youtube channel. You got it started at least! Here is what I think a good successful Youtube Channels have:

-So that you don't blabber on an on...it will also make you sound lot smarter on videos.
-It will discipline you to keep it simple (otherwise you will be writing long scripts).
-When you are editing, you have a reference (this will make you a better editor).

3. Staging (thinking about staging will help de-clutter your background and will focus on you where your personality will shine.

4. Good editing.

I hope this is not an unwanted advice but I watch a lot of good Youtube channels and wanted to encourage you. Good luck.
First thank you for all the tips. I enjoy the script idea. Right now its hard to do the vlogging part of the video that I want to incorporate because the camera I'm using (t5) doesn't have a video autofocus option, but I plan on getting a canon 70D as soon as possible to fix that problem. As for most of the panning shots trust me I know that they are shaky and that will be addressed too with a proper tripod and slider. Editing as of right now is limited until I get final cut pro 10 to really be able to actually edit, right now with iMovie pretty much the only think available is syncing up music with the clips etc etc.

Honestly I really do appreciate the tips, you could've been like others.

I know I should've waited until I had everything I need to make really proper and professional videos before starting but I wanted to at least be able to get a small audience possibly before all of that.
      03-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoserBMW
Quote:
I actually was doing it for sort of an artsy approach, but I appreciate the words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Hi,

4. Good editing.

First thank you for all the tips. I enjoy the script idea. Right now its hard to do the vlogging part of the video that I want to incorporate because the camera I'm using (t5) doesn't have a video autofocus option, but I plan on getting a canon 70D as soon as possible to fix that problem. As for most of the panning shots trust me I know that they are shaky and that will be addressed too with a proper tripod and slider. Editing as of right now is limited until I get final cut pro 10 to really be able to actually edit, right now with iMovie pretty much the only think available is syncing up music with the clips etc etc.

Honestly I really do appreciate the tips, you could've been like others.

I know I should've waited until I had everything I need to make really proper and professional videos before starting but I wanted to at least be able to get a small audience possibly before all of that.
Yeah, I know you were trying to be artsy but I'm telling you it doesn't work. If you want to be artsy or cutesy it's fine, but then don't say it's professional.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I know you were trying to be artsy but I'm telling you it doesn't work. If you want to be artsy or cutesy it's fine, but then don't say it's professional.
Thanks for the recommendations. I like your videos. Don't think I'm gonna change my titles though
      03-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bump, video on the New York International Auto Show is up now. Edited with final cut pro 10, I hope you guys enjoy.

Im working to make each video better than the last and if you have *friendly* constructive criticism i'll be happy to hear it. Some things im already aware of is the stability issues on some clips.
      03-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #9
deathmetaldrums
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

Thanks for sharing, I have some feedback about your videos. Definitely echoing the "scripts" feedback and potentially storyboarding in advance to make sure the flow is cohesive and that time is appropriately allocated. Your newest video for example is just over five minutes long and has a 90 second intro before a car is highlighted.

The camera work is also frustrating as a viewer. It follows repetitive patterns/camera techniques that became borderline nauseating, specifically an overuse of starting shots out of focus and then focusing. Also the shots virtually all appeared to be zoomed in, I don't think I saw one shot of an entire car in frame throughout the video and car enthusiasts might want to see more than just the headlights or tail lights of a vehicle. This was true when words appeared to be the focal point of a shot like when you had shown "ultimate driving machine", the words were cut out of frame. If your purpose with these shots is to be "artsy", some diversification might ultimately provide greater impact. Camera work appeared to be handheld and shaky, not sure if that was also your intention.

Big improvement over the first few, thanks for sharing cars from the auto show, looked like there were lots of slick vehicles, wish I could've seen the rest of that koenigsegg...
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetaldrums View Post
Thanks for sharing, I have some feedback about your videos. Definitely echoing the "scripts" feedback and potentially storyboarding in advance to make sure the flow is cohesive and that time is appropriately allocated. Your newest video for example is just over five minutes long and has a 90 second intro before a car is highlighted.

The camera work is also frustrating as a viewer. It follows repetitive patterns/camera techniques that became borderline nauseating, specifically an overuse of starting shots out of focus and then focusing. Also the shots virtually all appeared to be zoomed in, I don't think I saw one shot of an entire car in frame throughout the video and car enthusiasts might want to see more than just the headlights or tail lights of a vehicle. This was true when words appeared to be the focal point of a shot like when you had shown "ultimate driving machine", the words were cut out of frame. If your purpose with these shots is to be "artsy", some diversification might ultimately provide greater impact. Camera work appeared to be handheld and shaky, not sure if that was also your intention.

Big improvement over the first few, thanks for sharing cars from the auto show, looked like there were lots of slick vehicles, wish I could've seen the rest of that koenigsegg...
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. Unfortunately shooting there is extremely hard so most of the time, especially around the high end cars like the koenigsegg, bugatti, etc, there was such a large group of people that the in close shots were the only ones that would come out without a very scattered background of people. I agree I should have included different types of shots, and i'll work on that. Thanks for watching.
      04-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Back from vacation, new DIY up. Link is in the OP. Hope you enjoy
      04-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

New video just uploaded; i got an oil leak (e90 vlog/update). It's a vlog style video so if you're not into that kinda thing don't click it. Hope you enjoy if you're into vlogs!

Link in the OP
      04-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

A vlog is a video blog right? I feel like you should look up how to blog to gather ideas for your videos. You should really be thinking who your audience is when coming up with these vlogs. There are a bunch of tips from blogs you can apply to a vlog.

One thing that comes is mind is that you're very long winded. The whole part about college kids keying cars and landscapers parking everywhere? It seemed very ordinary. Your humor wasn't there either so it was hard to watch. Try being more concise. The reason people come to watch a vlog is because they're watching something take them away from the mundane.

As for cinematography, you could look at popular car videos. This comes to mind

Try to emulate their shots. Eventually you'll take what you like in each example and come out with your own style.

Good luck with the vlogs man!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

bump! we're back.

future mods for my e90
      09-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #15
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
I understand that you're just getting this thing going, but a few pieces of feedback:
- Don't start putting ads up in order to watch your videos that have 10 views. Ads are a sure fire way to get less views and far less subscribers.
- Who are you trying to appeal to? The niche 328 crowd I assume? Because as a car guy in general it's not compelling to watch videos about washing or going thru an extensive modification list for a base model BMW. A bit of a yawn fest.
- Add some personality. Again, I know you're getting comfortable in front of the camera, but be more dynamic, more engaging.
- Ultimately, all of this can be summarized into one point: what value are you providing for the viewer? There needs to be a draw. Are you doing this just to share life updates with your mom? What you're doing will work. Are you trying to build a brand and a following? Please make the videos more engaging. Lighten up, loosen up and have some fun. That'll come across in your videos.

Last edited by sirdaft1; 09-02-2016 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

you should watch some tj hunt videos for some tips on what to do