E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > we need to fight for our right to have an air-to-oil cooler!!!

03-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
Jeeves915
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 6AT Coupe

The Oil Cooler is supposed to be on ALL 6mt Sport Package equipped cars (from my reading). It appears on SOME 6at Sport Package cars (there is STILL some debate on this part).

BMW itself does not have it's act together, as I just got off the phone with them. According to the person I talked with, NO 6at cars are supposed to have the oil cooler, not even ones produced after 12/01/06.

The plot thickens...
-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barat View Post
can someone please confirm that this is the case only for SOME AT cars. I have a 6mt looked for the oil cooler but couldn't seem to find it (granted i didn't look very hard)

thanks
All MT cars should have it. I have not seen a report from anyone who doesnt.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
You guys are hilarious in your defense of BMW. Only a specific set of cars between certain dates didn't get the cooler. They re-added it in December; that says to me the car needs it. Not only that, but when contacted they are telling customers that *all* ZSP cars have it, which is clearly not true. As for this having a "significant" effect; there have been 4 known reports of overheating 335i's, all 4 involved automatic cars with no oil cooler. Do the math.

I don't see this oil cooler as "it's my right", I see it as, at this point, something BMW should offer as a courtesy to those of us with AT and ZSP. The cars should have it, they don't. The number of cars effected is not large, and the retrofit is not expensive; so it makes little sense to me to have customers who feel ripped off.

Pasting a list of features and saying since it isn't on there it isn't included is absurd. I don't see "gas cap" on there, or "front windshield"...
picus,

I am not defending BMW.

I hope that you and everyone else that wants the cooler gets the retrofit kit. I think that it would be a good PR move on BMW's part. It likely depends upon the cost of the kit and the installation time required.

I am simply saying that BMW isn't REQUIRED (legally) to give the retrofit kit to you or anyone else. A manufacturer is permitted to make minor production changes without providing those changes to customers who previously purchased that product.

The thing that should worry everyone is the rumor that the engines have a design flaw where the #5 and #6 cylinder overheat and BMW is introducing a design change in the engine to fix the problem. This would ALSO not something that we could force BMW to give us as owners of 2007 cars, but everyone would likely want to have the revised version of the motor. If BMW experiences massive numbers of failures, they MIGHT be forced into a recall, but the odds of that are extremely remote. If that turns out to be the case, our 2007 cars will have a reduced resale value as a result.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
Code:
Performance and Efficiency
3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 300-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with twin-turbo technology and Double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
Electronic throttle control
6-speed manual transmission
Handling, ride and braking
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
Extensive aluminum componentry, including front suspension components (forged-aluminum lower arms, steering knuckle); subframe; steering rack; and brake components
Double-pivot type front and five-link rear suspension
5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse arms
Front and rear anti-roll (stabilizer) bars
Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers
Sport suspension calibration
4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
Engine-speed-sensitive, variable-assist power steering
Exterior
Light-alloy wheels; 17 x 8.0, Star Spoke (Style 185), 225/45R-17 run-flat1 all-season tires
Tire Pressure Monitor
Xenon Adaptive Headlights with auto-leveling
Halogen free-form front foglights
Heated dual power mirrors and heated windshield washer jets
Interior seating
8-way power front seats with 2-way manual headrests and driver memory with 2 pre-sets for seat and exterior mirror positions
Leatherette upholstery
3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with audio and hands-free phone5 controls
Front seatback storage nets
Split fold-down rear seats
Comfort and convenience
Engine Start/Stop button
Automatic climate control – includes micro-filter, automatic air recirculation, left/right temperature control, temperature- and volume-controlled rear outlets, windshield misting sensor, maximum air conditioning, heat at rest, more powerful fan, and recall of individual user settings
2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation, sliding interior sunshade, and wind deflector
Retractable door storage pockets with covers
Front-seat center armrest with climate-controlled storage compartment
Front passenger cupholders (dashboard-integrated)
Rear-seat with fold-down center armrest with dual cupholders and storage bin with retractable cover
Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
Power front windows with "one-touch" up/down operation
Dynamic Cruise Control
BMW Ambiance interior lighting along doors and side of rear cabin
Courtesy lights – include fade in/fade out, actuation from remote, automatic switch-on when engine is turned off, separately controlled left/right front and rear reading lights, front footwell lighting, and illuminated vanity mirrors
Ground lighting located in bottom of exterior door handles
Automatic safety belt assistant
Locking glovebox
Electric interior trunk release
Rain-sensing windshield wipers and Automatic headlight control
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of mobile phone, alarm system
Audio system
Logic7 Surround Sound anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with 13 upgraded speakers (including 2 subwoofers), Digital Sound Processing (DSP), Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store and 3-channel FM diversity antenna; displays MP3 song title and artist
Auxiliary audio input for portable music players located in the center armrest
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of 6-disc CD/MP3 changer, satellite radio
Instrumentation and Controls
Service Interval Indicator with miles-to-service readout
Check Control vehicle monitor system with pictogram display, oil status display, and Condition Based Service indicator
On-board computer with check control - provides feedback on the vehicle's operating status: oil level indicator and distance to next service appointment/oil change, as well as other detailed information such as spark plug and micro-filter status. It also provides travel information – travel range on remaining fuel, external temperature, and more.
Safety and Security
Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Adaptive Brake Lights
MRS5 centralized safety control system
Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
Automatic safety belt pretensioners and load-limiters at front seating positions
Driver’s and passenger’s front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with “smart” dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment and sensor to help prevent unnecessary passenger’s airbag deployment
Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with Passenger’s Airbag Off indicator
Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked), double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
Coded Driveaway Protection
Automatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat
LATCH attachments on child-restraint safety installation
Crash sensor that automatically turns on hazard lights and interior lights, and unlocks doors
Programmable daytime running lights
Fiber-optics-based MOST-BUS architecture for safety systems
BMW Ultimate Service™
BMW Ultimate Service is a collection of services that comes with all new BMWs, at no charge, for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. It includes the BMW Maintenance Program, which covers all factory-recommended maintenance and items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear; unlimited-mileage Roadside Assistance; and a New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If your vehicle is a model year 2007 or later and is equipped with the BMW Assist™ and Bluetooth® system either as an option or as part of the Premium Package, you’ll also receive a four-year, unlimited mileage subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan. Among the features is TeleService, an exclusive benefit that allows your vehicle to contact your BMW center directly when it needs service or maintenance.

cntrl f, oil cooler... dont see it... soo its not your right
You're right, but...
Sport Package:
*Star Spoke (Styling 162) light-alloy wheels, 18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 8.5 rear; 225/40R-18 front, 255/35R-18 rear run-flat1 performance tires2,3
*8-way power front sport seats with adjustable back bolsters, 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; driver memory for exterior mirror and seat positions
*3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with audio controls
*Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
*Sport suspension calibration

No "Oil Cooler Delete", soo... I should have the choice to delete it! (Or at least know about it ahead of time!)

Personally, I'm fighting it hard. Particularly since BMW seems to have standardized the form email to say *ALL* should have it (SP-equipped).

I love my car, but I'm willing to lemon it if it overheats!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #27
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

"well its the truth, its not like bmw promised him an oil cooler, and thats got a crap load of stuff on it, i dont even know what half of it is"

No, no one promised anything, however, i dont like the fact that some cars have them and others dont, especially since mine was ordered 12/12/06 and production started in january. What does your list prove? What are you trying to accomplish by listing that? That the oil cooler should be on that list or something?
Black Sapphire 335i coupe/Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifters,Vishnu PROcede awaits, 20" iForged Essen, H&R springs, Milltek cat-back exhaust,side markers painted, 25% tint, V1 hardwired
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #28
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Pasting a list of features and saying since it isn't on there it isn't included is absurd. I don't see "gas cap" on there, or "front windshield"...
those are essential components (not to mention DOT required), the oil cooler is not

find me am essential component listed, for instance
ECU is essential so its left off,

double pivot wishbone suspension, not essential, therefore included,

double vanos, not essential so included

piston... essential, not included

turbo, not essential, included..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_owns_you View Post
What are you trying to accomplish by listing that? That the oil cooler should be on that list or something?
no im saying it shouldnt be on the list, bmw did not tell you your car would have an oil cooler, it works without the oil cooler, so its bmws privlage to remove it if they feel like

if no one had an oil cooler and all the cars ran at 260 under spirited driving you wouldnt be demanding an oil cooler because bmw did not promise you one

this is just a case of "i want what he has"
      03-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #29
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys are hilarious in your defense of BMW. Only a specific set of cars between certain dates didn't get the cooler. They re-added it in December; that says to me the car needs it. Not only that, but when contacted they are telling customers that *all* ZSP cars have it, which is clearly not true. As for this having a "significant" effect; there have been 4 known reports of overheating 335i's, all 4 involved automatic cars with no oil cooler. Do the math.

I don't see this oil cooler as "it's my right", I see it as, at this point, something BMW should offer as a courtesy to those of us with AT and ZSP. The cars should have it, they don't. The number of cars effected is not large, and the retrofit is not expensive; so it makes little sense to me to have customers who feel ripped off.

Yes exactly, that list isnt a complete break down of the car....just a bunch of major features, it doesnt even say anything about the inter-cooler we all have.....let me guess "dont see...must not have it or need its and not my right" right? Just like he said "Pasting a list of features and saying since it isn't on there it isn't included is absurd. I don't see "gas cap" on there, or "front windshield." And you guys are taking that "its my right" too far, you know what i meant and you also know its coming from someone not to happy with the lack of an a-t-a especially since its a 12/12/06 ordered car.
Black Sapphire 335i coupe/Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifters,Vishnu PROcede awaits, 20" iForged Essen, H&R springs, Milltek cat-back exhaust,side markers painted, 25% tint, V1 hardwired
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #30
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
picus,

I am not defending BMW.

I hope that you and everyone else that wants the cooler gets the retrofit kit. I think that it would be a good PR move on BMW's part. It likely depends upon the cost of the kit and the installation time required.

I am simply saying that BMW isn't REQUIRED (legally) to give the retrofit kit to you or anyone else. A manufacturer is permitted to make minor production changes without providing those changes to customers who previously purchased that product.

The thing that should worry everyone is the rumor that the engines have a design flaw where the #5 and #6 cylinder overheat and BMW is introducing a design change in the engine to fix the problem. This would ALSO not something that we could force BMW to give us as owners of 2007 cars, but everyone would likely want to have the revised version of the motor. If BMW experiences massive numbers of failures, they MIGHT be forced into a recall, but the odds of that are extremely remote. If that turns out to be the case, our 2007 cars will have a reduced resale value as a result.
Gotchya. I wasn't really referring to you when I said that anyway, but yes I see where you're coming from.

I haven't heard this 5/6 cylinder rumor, do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #31
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_owns_you View Post
Yes exactly, that list isnt a complete break down of the car....just a bunch of major features, it doesnt even say anything about the inter-cooler we all have.....let me guess "dont see...must not have it or need its and not my right" right? Just like he said "Pasting a list of features and saying since it isn't on there it isn't included is absurd. I don't see "gas cap" on there, or "front windshield." And you guys are taking that "its my right" too far, you know what i meant and you also know its coming from someone not to happy with the lack of an a-t-a especially since its a 12/12/06 ordered car.
as long as the car still made 300 crank hp and torque, bmw could remove the intercoler if they so chose as well

with the exception of the fact its visible in many marketing photos which they could be liable for, but if that werent the case they would be within their right to remove it
      03-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #32
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No one is arguing it isn't their right to remove the oil cooler. We're saying that without the oil cooler our cars have a significantly (yes, significantly) higher chance of overheating. At this point you're just playing devil's advocate if you can't see the reasoning behind wanting the cooler there. And no, it isn't "I want what he's got", it's "I don't want my car to overheat".
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #33
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

I think the comments have started getting off track. I completely agree with the original poster that they deserve the oil-cooler retrofitted.

I say that because it seems that after much discovery(we the guinea pigs we are) of overheating engines, that regardless of auto or manual transmission, the car NEEDS to have an oil cooler. Sure, some of you havent seen high temps without one but that doesnt mean it shouldnt have one. BMW apparently did enough research that they started installing them on all products after a certain date.

This is like what Audi did when the TT first came out. After a few accidents at high speed, the aerodynamics department figured that the little lip spoiler was necessary to keep the rear in place. They now made it a standard feature from that date forward and retrofitted them for free on any customers car who wanted one. The key was "wanted". You still see a few TT's without the spoiler meaning it wasnt mandatory ie:a recall.

You might or might not be lucky in getting one retrofitted from the dealer but I think BMW should acknowledge this to all their customers who purchased a car sans oil-cooler who want the option.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #34
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

The bottom line is: BMW says that all 335 cars with sports package have them so it is the owner's right to have one. End of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #35
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No one is arguing it isn't their right to remove the oil cooler. We're saying that without the oil cooler our cars have a significantly (yes, significantly) higher chance of overheating. At this point you're just playing devil's advocate if you can't see the reasoning behind wanting the cooler there. And no, it isn't "I want what he's got", it's "I don't want my car to overheat".
haha picus is the regulator, i go eye to with him on this. Its about not wanting my car to over heat, and other then overheating i just want my oil to run cooler like the rest of the 335's that have them. It cant hurt to have one and is probably an advantage to us. Who knows why they removed it, maybe it saved them money or whatever, but still, it just seems like things like that that are obviously better for the car (as far as i knew things that kept the cars fliuds and parts cooler were always better) shouldn't be removed, i just dont see why they would. I can understand things like features of iDrive, or trim's and finishes being removed but not stuf like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #36
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
The bottom line is: BMW says that all 335 cars with sports package have them so it is the owner's right to have one. End of discussion.
exactly, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #37
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The only reasonable explanation for why they removed them, then re-added them, is that there was a parts supply problem and they decided it wasn't a required component, which it is not. Will I hate my car if I don't get it? Hell no, I love the car - but I will admit I do worry about it overheating. I already run hot, and it's 3C out.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #38
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Quote:
I haven't heard this 5/6 cylinder rumor, do you have a link?
picus, here it is: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=50621&page=10

Scroll down till you reach RDSports' post, then shiv has a reply to another person related to it too.
Installing soon: Rear Power Outlets (Happy Robot mod!)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #39
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Teknochild..is your former screename "Ward" by any chance?
      03-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #40
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaneer View Post
picus, here it is: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=50621&page=10

Scroll down till you reach RDSports' post, then shiv has a reply to another person related to it too.
Hrmmm... thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #41
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep

just got off the phone with BMW north america, luckily i got a hold of a yound dude with a 335i on order who was jus enthuaisastic as the rest of us about and also concered for his own 335 and so he's looking into it deeply as far as checking my production and what not and is going to get back with me in a day or so. I told him how i wanted it retro-fitted if i didnt have it and he said he's gonna see what he can do. I used that analogy about the opting for leather but not getting and it worked good haha. He did mention that he thinks that only manual cars with SP had them but wasnt sure, and i was sure he was wrong and if he ends up saying that i'll just email him the email that one guy got saying that ALL sport pkg cars should have them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #42
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

When you say BMW North America, do you mean BMW USA? If not, I'd love that number.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #43
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Ghost of M3LTDOWN

Quote:
There is a warranty for that.

Why can't I get the shorter final drive ratio from the AT cars on my 6MT? Should BMW give it to me just because some 335's have it?
      03-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #44
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep

im pretty sure its just bmw usa, it was 1-800-831-1117
Appreciate 0