E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Door Handle Unlock.

08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
AFButters
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Door Handle Unlock.

I'll start this first with; I am on my phone and attempted to search but was unsuccessful and find any answers and was not getting much progress period. Thus I am sorry if this has been asked before.

I am not sure why but more than half the time I reach and touch the door handle the doors attempt to lock themselves instead of unlock themselves. Then sometimes the doors will unlock and other times I am left standing like an idiot holding the door and don't want to get my keys out of my pocket in principle.

One thing I did notice is i appear to get a "Charge your Key" icon when I start the car, it's something I mean to look up in the manual but forget about when I'm not actively driving.

From my iPhone please excuse spelling errors.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You answered your own question. Wow
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
AFButters
Rep

How often or for how long do I need to leave my controller plugged into car to charge it enough. This is bugging the crap out of me that it seems like the car is tellig me the clicker is dying and it won't unlock when I touch the door handle.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If you have Comfort Access, the battery does not charge. It takes a CR2032 coin battery that you can buy from anywhere.

Other than that, pay attention to how you're grabbing the handle. Is your thumb or any other part of your hand touching the lock ridges while you try to open the door? Only touch the inside of the door handle when unlocking.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
AFButters
Rep

This is the Fob I have.. today the car stopped giving me the Key Logo with the Charge symbol after leaving it plugged in as I drove around yesterday, but the 3 times i went out to the car i had to click to unlock the door with the button.

The wife took the car tonight and it unlocked for her by touch.

What is the point of plugging the Fob in if not to charge it.. (What I was told by the dealer)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFButters View Post

This is the Fob I have.. today the car stopped giving me the Key Logo with the Charge symbol after leaving it plugged in as I drove around yesterday, but the 3 times i went out to the car i had to click to unlock the door with the button.

The wife took the car tonight and it unlocked for her by touch.

What is the point of plugging the Fob in if not to charge it.. (What I was told by the dealer)
If you have comfort access, the battery inside the keyfob is NOT RECHARGEABLE. It is like an alarm remote, you have to open up the remote and replace the watch battery inside. The regular keyfobs look almost identical and are charged through the key slot in the dash. Those are only for cars without comfort access, and have a rechargeable battery cell inside it. Try replacing the battery in your key fob first and see if the problem goes away.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
AFButters
Rep

needs a battery
Appreciate 0