E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > turbo lag update. did dealer say you have to pay?

11-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

turbo lag update. did dealer say you have to pay?

I called my SA last night about the turbo lag software update and he didn't mention if he was aware of it or not but as we were talking about it more, he said that unless you have work done where a software update is required, it's not covered by BMW and you'll have to pay about $150 to update the software. I think that's crap but I wanted to verify if this is same thing you guys are being told.

In the realease from BMW, it said if you had a car with a prior build date, you could request the update but doesn't mention anything about a cost involved or didn't say you could request the update at no cost.

Does anybody have any info to clarify?
      11-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
BMW will only update the software of the car if it is required under service (aka fuel pump replacement, idrive problems, etc.). They will not update the software 'just because.' If so, then yes, they will charge.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

to me that's more of a recall issue, so it should be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
MrChessy
Magical Pill...
United_States
Rep
Drives: wreckless

If I were you, I would complain to the SA about the press release that BMWNA dealer(Had Acknowledged) De-Tuned my car that caused the "Slight" lag. It's stated on their website that the engines for the N54 are lagged-Free and that's what I've paid for. You can bring up "False Advertising" if they decline to update the ecu the way it used to drive....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Dealers won't know much until Jan '09. This reprogramming is a special gig.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Read here and click the link for the PDF:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2916
      11-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
By the way, the dealerships are worthless for this problem right now. Complaining to them is akin to pissing on a light post and expecting to knock it over.

Last edited by shaddai; 11-25-2008 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: must have double clicked!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
By the way, the dealerships are worthless for this problem right now. Complaining to them is akin to pissing on a light post and expecting to knock it over.

but seriously, just wait it out until Jan '09 to get concrete details on this whole fiasco.
      11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
If it is not giving you any problems, then just wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
mcoupe60266
?
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
to me that's more of a recall issue, so it should be covered under warranty.
but you're not BMW so it doesn't matter what you think.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
Ouch, he's just trying to help, relax dude.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Talked to a BMW tech today when i dropped my car off, and he said the new software update will probably be ready at the beginning of December, but he said they still have a load tons of information to load into their machines before they will be ready to update the software on customer cars
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
I called my SA last night about the turbo lag software update and he didn't mention if he was aware of it or not but as we were talking about it more, he said that unless you have work done where a software update is required, it's not covered by BMW and you'll have to pay about $150 to update the software. I think that's crap but I wanted to verify if this is same thing you guys are being told.

In the realease from BMW, it said if you had a car with a prior build date, you could request the update but doesn't mention anything about a cost involved or didn't say you could request the update at no cost.

Does anybody have any info to clarify?
u read all the important details EXCEPT IT'S FOR JANUARY!!
      11-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
chill yo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
seriously.. I'm just stating that it's a RECALL type of issue here.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #15
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post

no kidding. chill out. he was just offering his opinion. He never claimed he was bmw. Are you lost? Here you go. http://www.zpost.com/forums/index.php
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

sup halfmonkey,
what part of sd are you from?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #17
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

just say your idrive is playing up... then they will conduct the update. Just a suggestion
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
chill yo..

seriously.. I'm just stating that it's a RECALL type of issue here.
It is NOT a RECALL and will be evaluated on a case by case basis. BMW is not issuing a recall or even a campaign on this. The goal of the software update 29.2 was to solve the "problem" of engine noise; a slight "lag" was detected by a few enthusiasts and varies from car to car. Having driven several cars with this "lag" inducing update it is apparent to me that some people are overstating how severe the issue is, unless the cars I have driven (owners do not complain of the lag) are those in the group that are barely affected. The lag is not a lag but a decrease in boost pressure, which is in fact different than lag which is caused by the turbos not spooling and thus not creating enough boost, these things are fully spooled (as I have been told). So in a nutshell this software more than likely will not be changed as per customer complaint for lag, but be part of a broader software update. I have asked about this and not been given a firm answer as of yet.

What BMW is offering up is a way to lessen this lag certain people detect more than others while creating more engine noise which more people detect and voiced concerns about.

The update is not available yet and most dealers have not been briefed on it since it does not exist. They will be right before it is available.

Do not be surprised if you will have to sign a waiver stating that your software will cause engine noise and that future warranty work for a noise complaint that fits the description of the specific noise this software will create will not be covered (ie: software changed back to rid the noise).

BMW is actually offering up an option for those affected, and that is something most manufacturers would not do, they now will have to modify two software versions moving forward when they update something instead of just one.

I have also been told that future software will also include more engine data logging features to lessen the after market modification of the engine, only time will tell but since BMW is also going to be offering its own performance software this makes sense.
      11-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

final say before I unsubscribe. I was just saying it's a recall type of announcement. if BMWNA is aware and they announce it, they are pretty much letting owners know if they have this "lag" to bring their cars back to get it updated. relax a bit. we're all here to help one another as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
u read all the important details EXCEPT IT'S FOR JANUARY!!
Actually, I did read that it's available in Jan but I'm not sure where you thought I asked when this "update" was available. I simply asked if other members already asked their SA's about this too and if they were told they would need to pay. Of course, we all know that BMW all always releasing software updates and I was hoping that people with previous update experiences would be able to chim in.

Thanks for trying to clarify though but I already know this.
      11-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
sup halfmonkey,
what part of sd are you from?
southside.
      11-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
It is NOT a RECALL and will be evaluated on a case by case basis. BMW is not issuing a recall or even a campaign on this. The goal of the software update 29.2 was to solve the "problem" of engine noise; a slight "lag" was detected by a few enthusiasts and varies from car to car. Having driven several cars with this "lag" inducing update it is apparent to me that some people are overstating how severe the issue is, unless the cars I have driven (owners do not complain of the lag) are those in the group that are barely affected. The lag is not a lag but a decrease in boost pressure, which is in fact different than lag which is caused by the turbos not spooling and thus not creating enough boost, these things are fully spooled (as I have been told). So in a nutshell this software more than likely will not be changed as per customer complaint for lag, but be part of a broader software update. I have asked about this and not been given a firm answer as of yet.

What BMW is offering up is a way to lessen this lag certain people detect more than others while creating more engine noise which more people detect and voiced concerns about.

The update is not available yet and most dealers have not been briefed on it since it does not exist. They will be right before it is available.

Do not be surprised if you will have to sign a waiver stating that your software will cause engine noise and that future warranty work for a noise complaint that fits the description of the specific noise this software will create will not be covered (ie: software changed back to rid the noise).

BMW is actually offering up an option for those affected, and that is something most manufacturers would not do, they now will have to modify two software versions moving forward when they update something instead of just one.

I have also been told that future software will also include more engine data logging features to lessen the after market modification of the engine, only time will tell but since BMW is also going to be offering its own performance software this makes sense.

How do you know that BMW will be offering its own performance software? This rumor started about a year ago and I have heard no confirmation from BMW or anyone else.
Appreciate 0