E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2010 335i Coupe Radio Problems

01-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #45
tgb1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchow101 View Post
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

bmw na told me yesterday that they tried to slimline the radio system. that they were not trying to be CHEAP! yeah right!

that they are aware of the problem and are trying to get a fix by LATE SPRING!!!!! it was late JAN at first!

ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE PROBLEMS CALL BMW NA! PLEASE! we need to get on their asses!
What could NA possibly "fix" other than retrofit an amplifier and more speakers? Or were you referred to the Sirius "acquiring" problem?
2016 BMW F83 ///M4 Tanzanite Blue Metallic/Silverstone Full Merino // NBTevo ID 6 retrofit // G3x/F90 10.25" MGU display retrofit // GTS flash // SmartTOP // 437M + Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter) // 359M + ContiSportContact 5P (summer)
Retired: 2013 E93 M3 | 2015 F22 M235i xDrive | 2012 E70 X5 xDrive 35d | 2010 E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #46
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Letter to BMW

So this the letter I sent to BMW they most likely wont do anything at all but at least they have in writing what I think about this horrible radio system.

I am a business owner have always purchased BMW's as my company and personal cars. I am turning in my 5th consecutive lease in April of this year. I turned in another of my leases a 2007 328i Sedan Basic Radio in November 18,2009, I was very happy with the car, the service provided to me, and most importantly the radio system. It had the basic system but still sounded like it was a radio system on a BMW. Tweeters, Subs, and Amp were standard, which in my opinion are to be expected on a luxury car of this class. When I turned in the lease I said to myself I'm so happy with my experience I'll upgrade and pay more for a 335i Coupe which is about 15k more than the 328i in MSRP.

However, my experience with this car had been quiet different in some aspects. It’s a solid driving machine, great interior, great design, and get compliments on the car all the time. However, the radio system in this car does not EVEN belong on the LOWEST end Honda Civic yet alone a BMW; aside from the Satellite system not working at all from day one, which I am promised a fix sometime unknown in the future. The system has a radio and four speakers. No amplifier, No tweeters, No subs. The audio quality is ridiculously and inexcusably horrible! I can’t put up the bass, the treble, and/or volume up; without the speakers popping from insufficient power from the head unit. I’ve had rental cars Chevy Cobalts with a radio system that would blow this one out of the water. The MSRP on this car is $49,500. For this price I would imagine to have a halfway decent radio system even with the basic. This system is honestly for lack of a better and proper word “garbage!” I am embarrassed to put the volume up on my vehicle with passengers, because the speakers start to pop from insufficient power. Been to the dealership and they were even surprised the car had no amp and surprised at how bad the quality was. They even ordered the amplifier and only after it came in they discovered the car had no amplifier. This is the norm, this is what it is suppose to sound like, and this is what you get with a 50k BMW!

Now I understand cost cutting and economic situation of the world. However, to reduce the quality of an aspect of the car that is used 90%+ of the time the driver is in the vehicle is setting you up for failure. If BMW researches the forums of its customers and cars they will see how many people are experiencing the same problem as me and see how many customers they are going to lose. I personally will be looking for another brand vehicle for the lease end in April and planning to end the lease on the current 2010 335i Coupe early and trading it for another brand as well. This is not what I came to expect from BMW throughout the years. This is less than poor quality on this type of vehicle and inexcusable in all aspects of the business. I might just be one customer no big deal, but I can guarantee you that there are lots more like me on the forums with the same problems.

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #47
F13
CEO
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TWO View Post
So this the letter I sent to BMW they most likely wont do anything at all but at least they have in writing what I think about this horrible radio system.

I am a business owner have always purchased BMW's as my company and personal cars. I am turning in my 5th consecutive lease in April of this year. I turned in another of my leases a 2007 328i Sedan Basic Radio in November 18,2009, I was very happy with the car, the service provided to me, and most importantly the radio system. It had the basic system but still sounded like it was a radio system on a BMW. Tweeters, Subs, and Amp were standard, which in my opinion are to be expected on a luxury car of this class. When I turned in the lease I said to myself I'm so happy with my experience I'll upgrade and pay more for a 335i Coupe which is about 15k more than the 328i in MSRP.

However, my experience with this car had been quiet different in some aspects. It’s a solid driving machine, great interior, great design, and get compliments on the car all the time. However, the radio system in this car does not EVEN belong on the LOWEST end Honda Civic yet alone a BMW; aside from the Satellite system not working at all from day one, which I am promised a fix sometime unknown in the future. The system has a radio and four speakers. No amplifier, No tweeters, No subs. The audio quality is ridiculously and inexcusably horrible! I can’t put up the bass, the treble, and/or volume up; without the speakers popping from insufficient power from the head unit. I’ve had rental cars Chevy Cobalts with a radio system that would blow this one out of the water. The MSRP on this car is $49,500. For this price I would imagine to have a halfway decent radio system even with the basic. This system is honestly for lack of a better and proper word “garbage!” I am embarrassed to put the volume up on my vehicle with passengers, because the speakers start to pop from insufficient power. Been to the dealership and they were even surprised the car had no amp and surprised at how bad the quality was. They even ordered the amplifier and only after it came in they discovered the car had no amplifier. This is the norm, this is what it is suppose to sound like, and this is what you get with a 50k BMW!

Now I understand cost cutting and economic situation of the world. However, to reduce the quality of an aspect of the car that is used 90%+ of the time the driver is in the vehicle is setting you up for failure. If BMW researches the forums of its customers and cars they will see how many people are experiencing the same problem as me and see how many customers they are going to lose. I personally will be looking for another brand vehicle for the lease end in April and planning to end the lease on the current 2010 335i Coupe early and trading it for another brand as well. This is not what I came to expect from BMW throughout the years. This is less than poor quality on this type of vehicle and inexcusable in all aspects of the business. I might just be one customer no big deal, but I can guarantee you that there are lots more like me on the forums with the same problems.
Well done, hopefully you get a response.

Current: F13
Previous: E92, E82
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #48
tgb1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just took delivery of my 2010 E90 sedan with the basic radio system with the Sirius receiver. Needless to say, I was worried about the sound quality AND Sirius "acquiring" problem. I am happy to report that I have no problems with either. While I am no audiophile, the basic system sounds pretty damn impressive for not having an outboard amp, and I pushed it pretty hard. No distortion or clipping. I do notice the absence of tweeters, but I am not devastated by that. And as for the Sirius, it worked flawlessly from the moment I activated it.

My car was completed in mid-December 2009 and spent several days at the VPC. I wonder if these two problems are software glitches and that fixes are already out there? I hope this info helps those of you still experiencing problems. Cheers.
2016 BMW F83 ///M4 Tanzanite Blue Metallic/Silverstone Full Merino // NBTevo ID 6 retrofit // G3x/F90 10.25" MGU display retrofit // GTS flash // SmartTOP // 437M + Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter) // 359M + ContiSportContact 5P (summer)
Retired: 2013 E93 M3 | 2015 F22 M235i xDrive | 2012 E70 X5 xDrive 35d | 2010 E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #49
F13
CEO
Rep

Picking up my car today from service. Lets see what they tell me.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #50
kchow101
Rep
Drives: 328i

going back to dealer today....going to see if other new cars are having the same problem....if so i dont want this cheap ass car!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #51
tgb1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
going back to dealer today....going to see if other new cars are having the same problem....if so i dont want this cheap ass car!
How is the system now? Any improvements after you picked up the car from the dealer? I'm curious because I have the basic system and have experienced none of the problems reported about it. As my case was completed on 12/14/2009 and spent several days at the VPC, I wonder if BMW has begun to implement a fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #52
F13
CEO
Rep

Dealer told me they couldn't find any problems, which I expected, but at least it is documented. I will reach out to BMW NA soon to complain. BTW I also got my HPFP replaced

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #53
kchow101
Rep

BAD NEWS!!!!! The dealer told me that they cannot do anything about the radio! This is how BMW is making their cars, with a cheap radio. One salesperson told me "its a shitty system".

"It is normal", service supervisior...that next time I buy a BMW buy it with the Logic 7. There wont be a next time i buy a BMW!

They told me that if BMW NA told me they would conpensate me to get on their asses about it, that the dealer cannot do anything.

DO NOT BUY A 2010 328i FROM BRAMAN BMW in Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also found out that you can install a aftermarket amp using a signal processor (rockford fosgate makes one).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #54
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
BAD NEWS!!!!! The dealer told me that they cannot do anything about the radio! This is how BMW is making their cars, with a cheap radio. One salesperson told me "its a shitty system".

"It is normal", service supervisior...that next time I buy a BMW buy it with the Logic 7. There wont be a next time i buy a BMW!

They told me that if BMW NA told me they would conpensate me to get on their asses about it, that the dealer cannot do anything.

DO NOT BUY A 2010 328i FROM BRAMAN BMW in Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also found out that you can install a aftermarket amp using a signal processor (rockford fosgate makes one).
Can you calm down, please?

There's nothing wrong with your radio, that's the way it is coded.

BMW decontented all the 1-, 3- and Z4 Series for MY2010 by removing the standard OEM amp from the trunk and the tweeters (4), and by downsizing the underseat 8" woofers to 6.5" midranges. So now the OEM HU/iDrive directly drives 6 speakers with a 15W max x 4 channels (OEM HU) or 25W max x 4 channels (iDrive).

That's the reason that when you crank the volume up that annoying sound is heard... the OEM HU is clipping like a mofo.

Blaming the dealer does not change the fact that you bought a car without knowing anything about it. And before you get all pissed off about the obvious, all that info has been posted here for a long, long time and in too many threads. Yes, it sucks but that's the way it is when you do not know...

So let's start from the beginning... what can you do about this?

Depending on your budget, you can do:

- a mild OEM amp/front speakers upgrade for some $600 (description attached below) if interested in an OEM solution. This is not sold in the USA but it can be ordered in Europe thru eBay seller RoverActive.
- pick an choose the speakers that fit your 328i here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673 , add an amp (# of channel outputs depending of what you want to do), a processor if you want and do your own system.

Peace...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alpine install instructions.pdf (428.1 KB, 189 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #55
kchow101
Rep

i believe in standing behind your product. you are what you sell!

as a four time customer to Braman, they should have helped me out alittle more.

i understand they are not building the cars but they are selling them and should try to do something to keep their customers (especially with this economy).

and who checks everything on a brand NEW car! NO ONE! who goes online to check if a brand new BMW has a radio problem! NO ONE! Its a BMW a $40000 car! we shouldnt have to check anything.

not trying to start or get away from this thread! LOL! its just alittle frustrating!

thanks for the info! just really dont want to spend another $600-$1000.

Last edited by kchow101; 02-01-2010 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #56
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
i believe in standing behind your product. you are what you sell!

as a four time customer to Braman, they should have helped me out alittle more.

i understand they are not building the cars but they are selling them and should try to do something to keep their customers (especially with this economy).

and who checks everything on a brand NEW car! NO ONE! who goes online to check if a brand new BMW has a radio problem! NO ONE! Its a BMW a $40000 car! we shouldnt have to check anything.

not trying to start or get away from this thread! LOL! its just alittle frustrating!

thanks for the info! just really dont want to spend another $600-$1000.
There's no radio problem.

That Braman told you the same thing but using ignorant reasons is what you need to be pissed about. The tech should know better that waste your time when their own documentation says what kind of radio your car has. The same applies to the salesperson.

However, at the end of the day you are the customer. And you should test drive, push buttons, turn knobs, kick tires all you can and wish in that car before signing any paperwork and handing out your hard-working money. If a dealer does not like that then that's not a dealer to deal with (pun intended).

Hey, that's the way it works. I did not make it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #57
F13
CEO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Can you calm down, please?

There's nothing wrong with your radio, that's the way it is coded.

BMW decontented all the 1-, 3- and Z4 Series for MY2010 by removing the standard OEM amp from the trunk and the tweeters (4), and by downsizing the underseat 8" woofers to 6.5" midranges. So now the OEM HU/iDrive directly drives 6 speakers with a 15W max x 4 channels (OEM HU) or 25W max x 4 channels (iDrive).

That's the reason that when you crank the volume up that annoying sound is heard... the OEM HU is clipping like a mofo.

Blaming the dealer does not change the fact that you bought a car without knowing anything about it. And before you get all pissed off about the obvious, all that info has been posted here for a long, long time and in too many threads. Yes, it sucks but that's the way it is when you do not know...

So let's start from the beginning... what can you do about this?

Depending on your budget, you can do:

- a mild OEM amp/front speakers upgrade for some $600 (description attached below) if interested in an OEM solution. This is not sold in the USA but it can be ordered in Europe thru eBay seller RoverActive.
- pick an choose the speakers that fit your 328i here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673 , add an amp (# of channel outputs depending of what you want to do), a processor if you want and do your own system.

Peace...
If I go with this kit, since it isn't available in the US, will BMW still treat it as an OEM part and honor the warranty if something goes wrong with the audio, etc.? I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #58
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedN54 View Post
If I go with this kit, since it isn't available in the US, will BMW still treat it as an OEM part and honor the warranty if something goes wrong with the audio, etc.? I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
I don't think that BMWNA will give you any warranty as this is not a BMWNA sanctioned part, however if the dealer installs it they should give you a labor warranty, after all this is a OEM kit, with OEM parts and with detailed OEM instructions. If they mess an installation like this they should go out of business. The seller could give you a parts warranty, more so if you let the dealer install it and can show the receipt to the seller.

Personally, I have bought new OEM parts from that eBay seller and a 1 year parts warranty was given in writing; the seller buys those parts new at an Euro dealer. That's something that you need to discuss with the seller before any purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #59
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep

Your right Technic when I bought the car it was at the Ft.Lauderdale dealership and they had to bring it from the Sheridan it was my mistake for not even test driving it or cranking the radio. I test drove a car they had on the lot and didnt put up the volume I was too excited just to drive it. Oh well cant do nothing now not stressing it anymore and trying to find a solution.

I'm planning on getting the Alpine OEM kit from the Euro Dealer. When I do, do you know of any place that would install it for me at a reasonable price down in Miami or Broward? I was thinking of dealer but I'm sure they will charge an arm and a leg.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #60
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Your right Technic when I bought the car it was at the Ft.Lauderdale dealership and they had to bring it from the Sheridan it was my mistake for not even test driving it or cranking the radio. I test drove a car they had on the lot and didnt put up the volume I was too excited just to drive it. Oh well cant do nothing now not stressing it anymore and trying to find a solution.

I'm planning on getting the Alpine OEM kit from the Euro Dealer. When I do, do you know of any place that would install it for me at a reasonable price down in Miami or Broward? I was thinking of dealer but I'm sure they will charge an arm and a leg.
You will need the OEM tweeter pods in addition to the Alpine kit.

It should be some $300-$350 in intallation costs in either Vista or Ft Lauderdale BMW... at least they will know how to remove the trim and panels without scratching them.

You can try Motronix in Griffin and I-95, they have ex-BMW technicians there and their labor cost is 40% less than the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #61
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks ill check it out, $350 doesn't sound bad for peace of mind on the install.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #62
F13
CEO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't think that BMWNA will give you any warranty as this is not a BMWNA sanctioned part, however if the dealer installs it they should give you a labor warranty, after all this is a OEM kit, with OEM parts and with detailed OEM instructions. If they mess an installation like this they should go out of business. The seller could give you a parts warranty, more so if you let the dealer install it and can show the receipt to the seller.

Personally, I have bought new OEM parts from that eBay seller and a 1 year parts warranty was given in writing; the seller buys those parts new at an Euro dealer. That's something that you need to discuss with the seller before any purchase.
Thanks. Do these parts ever become available in the US?

Quote:
Thanks ill check it out, $350 doesn't sound bad for peace of mind on the install.
Sounds good, keep us updated. I will most likely go that route, if my HPFP doesn't go again

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #63
eeprof
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi Sports Wagon

Radio problem is real

My satellite radio (HD radio) in my 2010 328xi says acquiring... and it still plays the satellite radio. Of course, you can't change the station or the volume. Well you can, but not the way it's supposed to be. You change the station - it stops playing, you cycle to the FM radio, adjust the volume, cycle back to satellite and it plays again. It still says acquiring...

Sometimes it works fine, others not so much... Saying there is no radio problem doesn't make it true. Especially when you have a radio problem.

Dealer says its a software update. OK - how do you update the software on the radio? Ummm I'll get back to you on that. Still waiting 2 weeks later.

Come on. Satellite radio is not new nor are the radios expensive.

BMW, wtf?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #64
Jer025
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Fixed?

Hello all-

I'm new to this board as I just leased a new 2010 335i coupe. I had the same "acquiring signal" message for the satellite radio a soon as I drove the car off the lot. I took it back to BMW of Dallas and they seemed to have fixed the issue for now. Here is what the Tech had listed on my invoice.

611 Software issue in the RAD2+ in conjunction with the integrated SDARS module. Performed SIB 653709, Programing and coding control modules with CAS

Hope this helps anyone still having the same problem.

-J
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #65
detail werks
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 x5 4.8i sports pkg.

would it make a difference if i upgrade to the logic 7 speakers? i have the same issues as all of yous speakers sound like if im mixing a song in my car lol so embarressing
Appreciate 0