E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > pbx worth it?

12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Personally about to get the AA tune. Have never tried the PBX but for me a reflash seems way better. I don't like the idea of a piggy back system. personal preference.
please post a feedback about it i'd like to know how it turns out !
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
please post a feedback about it i'd like to know how it turns out !
Will do. Slowly but surely getting the funds saved up. It isn' too high on my list of priorities right now. Soon though...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
From what I have read and everyone that I have spoken with it appears to just be throttle remapping. I would pass and opt for a tune that can offer more then just throttle remapping.

Search this forum and Google for more information including dyno charts, I would not rely on the "butt dyno" as it tends to be skewed. Most people aren't going to drop a few hundred dollars and report back that they do not feel a change.

-Nate
I could tell by your comments you don't have one. You should get one and see if you can make an informed opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
yes i'm the first own but i do have bigger tires and rims, but not too much from stock. i only have 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9.5 in the rear. the stock were 17x8 front and 17x8.5 rears. but the tires are much wider than stock though 265 r 245 f could that be it?
yup, thats it. Even its wider, it will still effect the overall diameter thus change your gear ratio a little. Thats why your 2nd gear reached 70mph.
      12-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

I own one and while its more of a remapping, i am very happy with it. especially for the money.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Quote:
does it make a night and day difference like a JB system would?
I'm married to a n52 so I can't speak on the JB but it really does make a night-and-day difference compared to stock. There's no throttle lag/ dead zones and depending on what map you're running, it'll amplify the throttle signals in controllable increments of 30%, 60% and 100% which will make you question whether you're driving the same car prior to the install.

Quote:
Personally about to get the AA tune. Have never tried the PBX but for me a reflash seems way better. I don't like the idea of a piggy back system. personal preference.
It all depends on what you're aiming for. For me, PBX until I get all my mods in then I'll be due for an AA tune. I personally wouldn't want to tune the car, mod then car and then tune it again.
      12-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

6MT

So is it worth to have pbx even on 6MT?

Everytime Im on a traffic light, after i launch someone is on my rear. I guess this will help but gas consumption would be worse...?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #30
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Whats the difference between map 3 and 6?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
yup, thats it. Even its wider, it will still effect the overall diameter thus change your gear ratio a little. Thats why your 2nd gear reached 70mph.
is it really going 70? or is it just tripping out ?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #32
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerd View Post
So is it worth to have pbx even on 6MT?

Everytime Im on a traffic light, after i launch someone is on my rear. I guess this will help but gas consumption would be worse...?
lol for other's that is called gridlocking and it's illegal but if you are doing a freeway roll, i think it is extremely worth it being as you have 100% control of when to shift. From what I've been hearing, the PBX is worth it 6mt or not
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Munkey View Post
I'm married to a n52 so I can't speak on the JB but it really does make a night-and-day difference compared to stock. There's no throttle lag/ dead zones and depending on what map you're running, it'll amplify the throttle signals in controllable increments of 30%, 60% and 100% which will make you question whether you're driving the same car prior to the install.
By the JB i ment like could you control all of the maps and A/F ratios and stuff like that but Im also married to a n52 as well :love
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy04 View Post
I own one and while its more of a remapping, i am very happy with it. especially for the money.
So is it really the best bang for your buck?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #35
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Slowly but surely getting the funds saved up. It isn' too high on my list of priorities right now. Soon though...
If I some how get there before you, i'll make sure to post feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #36
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
TROLLING? how is this trolling if i'm asking an honest question? and i'm not sure about which tuning i want yet thus is the reason i posted this topic. Thanks but i'll keep you in mind if i decide to get a pbx
lol sorry. Your "Mtech gearing" was a bit far-fetched.

Is it worth it? 150% yes, yes, yes. A real tune is nice, but it's too much a commitment for many owners (especially if you are under warranty). the PBX has 7 settings for you to choose from, and it makes your car feel like a whole new animal.
      12-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
So is it really the best bang for your buck?
Well if you are looking for a throttle remap then yes, like literally if you tap the gas pedal just a bit, it literally is like you're giving it a lot of gas.

I personally got used to it and now am able to adjust to the quicker response.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:47 AM   #38
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

check the price difference for an AA tune vs pbx for you. To me, I already plan to skip the pbx stage and go for the ECU tune when money comes my way since I already have the 330i manifold in my car.
      12-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #39
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
lol sorry. Your "Mtech gearing" was a bit far-fetched.

Is it worth it? 150% yes, yes, yes. A real tune is nice, but it's too much a commitment for many owners (especially if you are under warranty). the PBX has 7 settings for you to choose from, and it makes your car feel like a whole new animal.
I was a bit unsure myself lol, but thankfully a member cleared my thought and gave me an idea of why. I'm no longer under warranty cuz I drive too damn much its really a driving addiction lol! What is the differences from the tune and piggy back plug in? If there isn't a real huge difference then a few bills less id rather get the same thing or close to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #40
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy04 View Post
Well if you are looking for a throttle remap then yes, like literally if you tap the gas pedal just a bit, it literally is like you're giving it a lot of gas.

I personally got used to it and now am able to adjust to the quicker response.
What do you mean by "adjust to the quicker response?" Does it really pull your car that much harder? And do you see a difference in gas milage?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #41
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
check the price difference for an AA tune vs pbx for you. To me, I already plan to skip the pbx stage and go for the ECU tune when money comes my way since I already have the 330i manifold in my car.
Do you notice a major power gain with a 330I manifold? I've always thought of upgrading to that and a k&n air filter. What is the major difference in the ecu tune and getting the pbx?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #42
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by "adjust to the quicker response?" Does it really pull your car that much harder? And do you see a difference in gas milage?
sorta like i've been using the pbx for a while now, so instead of giving half power to the throttle, i'm used to giving about a third for the same speed.

I don't see a gas milage, but thats because i'm still in love with my exhaust and intake note so i like to listen in neutral sometimes

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
I was a bit unsure myself lol, but thankfully a member cleared my thought and gave me an idea of why. I'm no longer under warranty cuz I drive too damn much its really a driving addiction lol! What is the differences from the tune and piggy back plug in? If there isn't a real huge difference then a few bills less id rather get the same thing or close to it.
I highly recommend the PBX to any and all 325/328/330 owners. It can be resold and is a massive improvement.

The PBX does 2 things:
1. Throttle remap (no more dead spot at all, makes leaving a stop very easy, no longer need DS mode 90% of the time)
2. Messes with air/fuel ratio a bit for a bit of power (you won't notice imo)

A tune does 2 things:
1. Throttle remap (less aggressive than a PBX - still need DS mode sometimes)
2. Adds a little real power. Optimistically 15whp (you will feel it in mid range)

PBX: $210
Tune: $500 (or $400) + tax
PBX: 7 settings including map 0 which the dealer can't see
Tune: 1 setting, permanent
PBX: Takes 20-30 minutes to install, 10 minutes to uninstall
Tune: Mine took 3+ hours to install, can only be removed by flash. Getting it redone for the dealer = more $$

I wouldn't for a second tell someone to get a tune before a PBX. The PBX, for most people, is enough for the life of their car. I would recommend a tune for people who have already experienced a PBX and plan on keeping their car for at minimum another year.

Conclusion: Just buy a PBX and experience it for yourself - there is no harm done.
      12-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #44
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I highly recommend the PBX to any and all 325/328/330 owners. It can be resold and is a massive improvement.

The PBX does 2 things:
1. Throttle remap (no more dead spot at all, makes leaving a stop very easy, no longer need DS mode 90% of the time)
2. Messes with air/fuel ratio a bit for a bit of power (you won't notice imo)

A tune does 2 things:
1. Throttle remap (less aggressive than a PBX - still need DS mode sometimes)
2. Adds a little real power. Optimistically 15whp (you will feel it in mid range)

PBX: $210
Tune: $500 (or $400) + tax
PBX: 7 settings including map 0 which the dealer can't see
Tune: 1 setting, permanent
PBX: Takes 20-30 minutes to install, 10 minutes to uninstall
Tune: Mine took 3+ hours to install, can only be removed by flash. Getting it redone for the dealer = more $$

I wouldn't for a second tell someone to get a tune before a PBX. The PBX, for most people, is enough for the life of their car. I would recommend a tune for people who have already experienced a PBX and plan on keeping their car for at minimum another year.

Conclusion: Just buy a PBX and experience it for yourself - there is no harm done.

I'm selling mine as im parting my car before selling it

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0