E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Protecting Paint from the Sun, do I need Paint Sealant, if I wash and wax ?

02-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Neill7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Coupe

Protecting Paint from the Sun, do I need Paint Sealant, if I wash and wax ?

I just got my first BMW. an e92 Coupe.
I live in Florida. And I have to park outdoors everyday.

So, I need to protect the paint from Baking in the Sun.

I dont have the time to wax my car myself. others have recommended a sealant is even better for sun protection.

If I bring to car wash is THAT WAX sufficient to keep the paint healthy against the Florida sun?

should I have a detailing place apply sealant a couple of times a year?

what might I expect to pay?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I wouldn't use the cheap wax at a car wash, not to mention the paint marring that the machine washing will cause. Here is a basic idea for prices on quality work: http://www.detaileddesignsautospa.co...-services.html

I am sure someone will recommend a good detailer in your area.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Since you are in Florida, look up David Fermani. I don't have any personal experience with him but from what I've seen on Autopia, I would go to him if I were in Florida.

Wax and sealant are both designed to protect the paint surface, so wax will do its job. Typically, sealant lasts longer; how long it lasts will depend on conditions.
      02-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Neill7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
Since you are in Florida, look up David Fermani. I don't have any personal experience with him but from what I've seen on Autopia, I would go to him if I were in Florida.

Wax and sealant are both designed to protect the paint surface, so wax will do its job. Typically, sealant lasts longer; how long it lasts will depend on conditions.

I cant afford to pay Rock Star Detailers to wash and wax my car. But thanks for the recommendation. Anyone else who might recommend someone who charges fees I can afford?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

david moved to michigan anyway

hit up dom with sheerspeed

yes you need something better than what the car wash will offer, plus you dont want to have a bunch of wax all over the trim and whatnot do you?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Worst case just get something like Opti-coat that you just wipe on and you don't even have to wipe off. Getting some quick sealant protection on the car doesn't have to consume more than about an hour of your time (after it's been washed). Even if you can only spend one hour every 6 months it's still better than nothing and will actually go a long ways to keeping the paint healthy. Your car won't look like the ones in these detail threads, but still will be a lot better off than using no protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

I'm not sure about 'THOSE' waxes, but in general even a properly applied and quality wax won't last much more than a month or two. You are best off using a sealant, since you can get as much as 6 months (rated by manufacturer) protection. I am in AZ, which has a sun comparable if not worse than FL, and I put on [url=http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=3101&url=detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Wet-Diamond-All-Metal-Sealant-P589/16-oz-S1/Blackfire Wet Diamond[/url] maybe 3 times a year. I bet you can find a detailer to use a simliar product if you can't do it yourself.
Appreciate 0