E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2013 Map updates - USB Stick

03-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #551
MnMnM
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M, 2013 M3

Anyone got Surgej's email address?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #552
champaign777
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport

done
thanks again to this thread and Sergey
GL !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #553
m3monkey
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 e92 m3

Garage List
2010 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeyman View Post
Anyone got Surgej's email address?
      03-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #554
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Another happy client! Bought the USB thumb drive from Tischer BMW ($42). Didn't want to load a torrent program onto my PC (easier for me).

PS - I had the current software on my 2010 system (I had Sirius satellite loaded about 2 weeks prior), and it required a code.

Thanks again to this thread and Sergey
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #555
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
If anyone needs assistance, I'll be more than happy to help... dracon@gmail.com or shoot me a PM

Last edited by Dracon; 07-17-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #556
culee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328XI

Ok finally! Got my navigation updated.

Problem:
- Downloaded update onto USB put it in glove compartment of car, USB flashes for a second and nothing happens
- First tried with a 64GB stick didn't work.
- Tried it with a 32GB stick, didn't work.
- Re downloaded update, didn't work.
- I knew i had to update the idrive software since mine was Pre 09 but dealer wanted $380 to do it.

Solution:
- Went to bimmersport in Mississauga and they gave me the option to upgrade just the idrive software for 90 dollars or upgrade everything for 130 (idrive, transmission software and a couple other things).
- Took them 3 days because of some hiccups and crapped my pants during the process because i thought they bricked my car.
- After the car software updates were complete i put the same usb with update that didn't work before and VOILA it worked.

Conclusion
- Didn't think indy shops could do it but call around and ask some may be able to do it.
- I complained to the dealer because my transmission was jerky hoping they would update my car under warranty and they told me to fly a kite
- I also complained about the shopping cart bug and they couldn't replicate the problem.
- After the update not only did i get new maps, my transmission shifts WAY smoother, no more jerk when cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #557
bluecrab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive E90 LCI

Does the new 2013 Version 1A display the speed limit?

That's one feature that I miss... my el-cheapo Garmin displays the current speed limit, but my BMW cannot!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #558
gpatricksmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
i found RAR files for 2013 map
maybe i can make some DVD's from it

http://uploaded.net/file/cb4qeh9g/from/zxsqsj

new ScanDisk do not work as well
Do you have a link to all the uploaded.net files required to complete the map file??
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #559
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

ok...chalk one up for the non-working group.

Car is a 2009 M3 E92, build date Jan 09.

I checked the BMW Web site, with supposedly no SW udpates on the car.

A 32Gb memory stick from a fellow member (thanks gpb!) was obtained. This stick worked on a previous update.

Inserting the stick into the glovebox USB, the access light flashes, then stops.

I've checked the stick on a PC, and indeed it appears to have almost 22 Gb of files.

The root has a single file config.nfm, and a single directory /pkgdb.

The file config.nfm has contents as below:

"This system is not compatible to the inserted DVD.
This system is not compatible to the inserted DVD.
# config.nfm version
configfmtversion=1.0.0
# Path to package database
pkgpath=./pkgdb
# Customer version
version="not used"

I'd like to find out if anyone can suggest an option before I go to the dealer.

Is it possible for my car the first lines in the confi should be removed?

What is the chance I can create 3 DVDs with the data on the stick?

Anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks in advance...
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #560
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

You could buy a stick from BMW (Tischer) for about $40. Lot less than going to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #561
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Does the new 2013 Version 1A display the speed limit?

That's one feature that I miss... my el-cheapo Garmin displays the current speed limit, but my BMW cannot!
No

But I used to be a garmin advocate until I tried to apply the latest updates to my Nuvi 500, it's now pretty much a brick... not enough memory to install the latest updates, won't recognize a Micro SD card, I did get a reply from Garmin tech support with some procedure to work around this but haven't had enough free time to futz with it yet. At some point I'm going to have to get it fixed though because I'm going to want to drive my Jeep somewhere... (or just buy a new one but that offends me. And even if I did, I would like to keep the 500 for motorcycle use as it's small and waterproof.)

As a workaround for the speed limit thing, I have a car kit for my phone and am running Trapster on it, makes my dash look a little cop-like with both the navi screen and a phone lit up, but using the built in nav for navigation and Trapster to keep an eye on my speed and also presence of LEOs, construction, etc. works out really well.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #562
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work.

Sounds like your car hasn't had the CIC software updated. When in Nav mode can you press the idrive controller and make the little window go away? If not, then you probably have the older CIC software which doesn't have the ability to update from USB. I don't think anyone's found a way around this. If you have any warranty coverage left, research the shopping cart bug as a possible way to get them to do the update under warranty.

On my 2010 the dealer did a full software update in the course of adding satellite radio, so this is probably why it worked fine on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
You could buy a stick from BMW (Tischer) for about $40. Lot less than going to a dealer.
The stick from Tischer has the same contents as the stick MMME30W is using. It won't work if the CIC software isn't at a version level which allows maps updates from USB.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #563
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

+1
Sergej provided me with great customer service!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #564
Culichor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Sienna 11' 335is vert

+1 Sergej and the members of this great community.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #565
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work.

Sounds like your car hasn't had the CIC software updated. When in Nav mode can you press the idrive controller and make the little window go away? If not, then you probably have the older CIC software which doesn't have the ability to update from USB. I don't think anyone's found a way around this. If you have any warranty coverage left, research the shopping cart bug as a possible way to get them to do the update under warranty.

On my 2010 the dealer did a full software update in the course of adding satellite radio, so this is probably why it worked fine on mine.

The stick from Tischer has the same contents as the stick MMME30W is using. It won't work if the CIC software isn't at a version level which allows maps updates from USB.
No problem gpb.

I tried to see if I have the 'shopping cart bug' but the results were inconclusive just now when I tried in the car.

Any thoughts on how to leverage the files on the stick onto one or more DVDs?
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #566
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Updated the map....It was very easy....special thanks to HRPaypahStacks for letting me borrow his usb and sergej for the fsc code.

Thanks everyone for saving me $$$
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #567
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Any thoughts on how to leverage the files on the stick onto one or more DVDs?
Unfortunately, no ideas.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #568
ClamDigger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi, Premium & Sport

Just updated my maps. Thanks to Sergej for the FCS code. Easy transaction.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #569
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Quote:
ok...chalk one up for the non-working group.

Car is a 2009 M3 E92, build date Jan 09.

I checked the BMW Web site, with supposedly no SW udpates on the car.

A 32Gb memory stick from a fellow member (thanks gpb!) was obtained. This stick worked on a previous update.

Inserting the stick into the glovebox USB, the access light flashes, then stops.

I've checked the stick on a PC, and indeed it appears to have almost 22 Gb of files.

The root has a single file config.nfm, and a single directory /pkgdb.

The file config.nfm has contents as below:

"This system is not compatible to the inserted DVD.
This system is not compatible to the inserted DVD.
# config.nfm version
configfmtversion=1.0.0
# Path to package database
pkgpath=./pkgdb
# Customer version
version="not used"

Is it possible for my car the first lines in the confi should be removed?

What is the chance I can create 3 DVDs with the data on the stick?

Anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks in advance...
Bummer yours didn't work. Sadly neither did mine - and I feel compelled to share my experience as although most seem to work perfectly, in my case the dealer has advised a damaged CIC requiring replacement.

Short history - 2009 LCI 335i Build date 12/08. Had headlight issue (adaptive failure) so dealer under 2nd hand warranty 'upgraded software' - I am led to believe this does not include firmware update.

Purchased FSC code from Sergej (who was very prompt I might add) and downloaded 2013 Australian Maps for Pro Nav. Used the same USB process as everyone else, car recognised upgrade and installed in approx 12 minutes (Australia/NZ files are only 3.7gb). However, nav would not start after iDrive reboot.

GPS status = "No GPS Available" - from the service menu. I am not going to warn people off updating maps as I appear to be the only one in this boat. Perhaps a combination of upgraded software, NOT upgraded firmware and tried to upgrade to 2013 maps on my build date.

Went to dealer to try and fix suggesting to them that a firmware upgrade is required - after 2 days they advised that they could not access certain parts of the CIC to either activate the new maps or re-load previous versions. Supposedly they contacted Germany who advised nothing can be done and CIC needs replacing.

Glad to hear almost everyone has successfully upgraded maps - but I think my experience is relevant to share. As I have said to Sergej - perhaps it is an odd combination of software versions causing the issues - or an inept dealer. Hopefully my investigations will get to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #570
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Another success updating via torrent and FSC code from Sergej.

Notes:
  • My 2011 335d (Build Date 7/2011) required an FSC code to update.
  • Applied all updates from BMWs website before updating.
  • Installation took about 45 mins.
  • Biggest difference I have noticed is a larger number of area names in the map. Generally more detail displayed which is a bonus.
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #571
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

how did you folks do the update, were your driving in your car doing your normal commute, errands etc... while it updated, did it sit in acc mode running on the cars battery, did you have a battery charger hooked up to it while it ran - just curious
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #572
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

As others have mentioned, the upgrade process is designed to be interrupted if needed.

I simply started mine before heading off on my work commute. Stuck the USB drive in, the Navigation system detected the update, I entered the FSC code and the update process started. My commute is only 20 mins, so needless to say it didn't finish.

Then on my drive home, the progress restarted.. initially at zero, then the progress indicator zoomed to 60% done within seconds (from the previous morning update), then finished before I got home.

HTH,

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
how did you folks do the update, were your driving in your car doing your normal commute, errands etc... while it updated, did it sit in acc mode running on the cars battery, did you have a battery charger hooked up to it while it ran - just curious
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0