E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Newbie Buyer (read lot of threads)

02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

I'm taking a look at one this Thursday. I want an Auto Sedan. I've been driving manual now for 13 yrs and want an auto now.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #24
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6AT

I consider myself an above averagely good driver, not because I have 'mad skillz' or anything stupid like that, more simply because I love it more than most people, I take it more seriously. Anyway, I've only ever had manual cars (typical for most europeans), never owned an automatic, but as 'that kind of driver', until now I would never have even considered owning an automatic. My wife likes automatics, we've been together 15 years, so I've driven auto a lot when driving her various cars, which have been averagely priced typical euro chick cars, some hatchbacks a renault megane cabrio, etc, nothing sporty. So the day comes and I finally decide, now's the time to take advantage of the greek crisis and pick up a bargain. So I picked up the e92 335xi I have now, which is an auto. When I bought it, I was hesitant about the auto box. The car was everything I wanted in every other area, except the gearbox. I thought, screw it, it has the paddle shifters if worst comes to worst, I'll give it a try. Let me just say that it is NOTHING like the econobox automatics I've driven, in normal D mode, it even makes my wife's current Volvo XC60 feel like it's got Hodor sitting in the gearbox swapping the cogs. I haven't used the paddles yet (1 month ownership). Haven't felt the need, DS mode is all you need when you want to go quickly, and it's strangely releasing to be able to concentrate purely on feeling the direction and weight of the car, rather than swapping cogs when pushing it. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find myself thinking that if I had the opportunity to swap for an otherwise identical manual example of my car, I would keep the auto. The DCT must be epic, cos I can't believe how good this is. And I'm not even flashed (Alpina gearbox flash). I'm still reading some pros and cons and haven't decided whether to flash yet or not.

tl;dr. Was an auto hater, love my auto xi. you won't regret getting the AT.

Last edited by Aashenfox; 02-24-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInPhilly View Post
So I am looking to buy a used 335i and am prepared for the maintenance/repair costs that will come with it. I still have a few questions that I want definitive answers to.

HPFP - What is the latest revision of HPFP? P/N 13 51 7 613 933? That was on the 2013 Service Bulletin. The recall covers 10yr/120k. Lot of these 07-08 335i vehicles are nearing that limit.

Injectors - Does the dealer replace the injectors along with the fuel pump? How common do the injectors fail?

Turbo Wastegate Rattle - I looked up how to check for this by disconnecting the vacuum hoses with the car running. This coverage only goes up to 8yr/82k miles. Most of the 07-08 cars are past this coverage now. If the car has had the turbos replaced will I get the issue again? Was the actuator improved on the new turbos?

In summary, I want to find one around the $12-14k budget that has had the dealer work done to it already. Any suggestions?
Ok, when looking at 07-08 you will be looking at most issues (hopefully fixed by the time you buy it). I have 09 and here is what I had to do so far besides normal maintenance (plugs, coils, oil etc..):
- Walnut blast (although saw no difference and never had issues prior, but they were dirty at 70k or so)
- Injectors (started failing around 100k and I don't think it is a question of if, but when they fail)
- Oil filter gasket (the cheap one and easy diy)
- Thermostat (started failing around 105k, oil temp would never get to temp even on long drives)

I bought the car used and it had 2 or 3 HPFPs replaced besides normal maintenance, but now it is covered for 10 years / 120k miles.

When looking at 07-08s, Turbos could go and they are warranted up to 82k or so, and I'm way past that but turbos holding fine.

Another potential issue could be water pump and right now (I'm around 116k miles) I'm seeing slight oil leak around the oil pan (costly repair).

Plus, besides all the things I've done I still have RPM stumble between 2-4k or so which I was unable to resolve, but hopefully once I get something to log I will fix it. My guess is either HPFP or LPFP.

So all in all when buying for 12-14k, make sure you have extra 4k in parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #26
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I guess I can shoot for 24k for my car.
      03-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

I had a car that I was about to buy looked at by a indepdenent bimmer shop. Good thing I did. It was an 2007 with sport package that had just hit 90k he had it listed for $12k.

Pros
- Waterpump/Thermostat replaced recently
- New tires
- Interior was mint

Cons
- Valve cover gasket leaking
- Oil filter housing leaking
- Oil pan leaking
- Needs new spark plugs
- Had stored code for glow ignition (30ED). Triggered by HPFP or injector failure? Fuel pump was done in 2010.
- Knock sensor codes possible due to needing new spark plugs
- needs walnut blasting
- no transmission service since bought new
- original radiator
- no oil cooler
- control (thrust) arm bushings are badly worn

Owner will only go down to $11k. The shop guy said plan to spend close to $3k if you pay a shop to do everything. How difficult are the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket?
Appreciate 0