E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST Coilovers installed on E92

07-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

ST Coilovers installed on E92

let me know what you guys think, I was debating installing some 5MM spacers on the rear to even out with the fronts.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Lookin' good!

Could you give a review of how the car handles and how the ride is?
      07-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
Lookin' good!

Could you give a review of how the car handles and how the ride is?
Will do as soon as I get some final tweaks on the coilovers as the Drivers side is experiencing some popping noise on low speed turns (I think the spring is not seated properly) and I need to get the alignment finalized as the suspension settled over the week and threw my alignment off a bit.

But my quick take is:

Reduced body roll over stock ZSP, slightly stiffer than stock (bit more road feel), but the rebound I feel is set just right for street use, car feels great into the turns and composed on the exit of turns. High speed lane changes are great! Very direct and flat. Overall I would say performance is marginally improved over stock (I think the stock suspension is solid), but I got the coilovers more for looks and I wanted to make sure I maintained driveability hence I did not go for just lowering springs, as these kits Do not seem perfectly matched for stock strut valving. Also the whole idea of paying for labor twice to swap out shocks seems silly, when I Can install the coilovers once as the stock struts will wear out more quickly with the lowering springs.

Overall for the price they achieve what I set out to do, improved Stance, maintaining factory ride quality, and slightly improving handling dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Andro07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Will do as soon as I get some final tweaks on the coilovers as the Drivers side is experiencing some popping noise on low speed turns (I think the spring is not seated properly) and I need to get the alignment finalized as the suspension settled over the week and threw my alignment off a bit.

But my quick take is:

Reduced body roll over stock ZSP, slightly stiffer than stock (bit more road feel), but the rebound I feel is set just right for street use, car feels great into the turns and composed on the exit of turns. High speed lane changes are great! Very direct and flat. Overall I would say performance is marginally improved over stock (I think the stock suspension is solid), but I got the coilovers more for looks and I wanted to make sure I maintained driveability hence I did not go for just lowering springs, as these kits Do not seem perfectly matched for stock strut valving. Also the whole idea of paying for labor twice to swap out shocks seems silly, when I Can install the coilovers once as the stock struts will wear out more quickly with the lowering springs.

Overall for the price they achieve what I set out to do, improved Stance, maintaining factory ride quality, and slightly improving handling dynamics.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Yay great choice on the ST's.

I would say a 5mm spacer on front would be optimal - those are Velocity CSL's by the look of it - the Miro's have a ET35 and they fit great.

Looking great, quick suggestion painted reflector.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Yay great choice on the ST's.

I would say a 5mm spacer on front would be optimal - those are Velocity CSL's by the look of it - the Miro's have a ET35 and they fit great.

Looking great, quick suggestion painted reflector.
Thanks Ron, I got the reflectors and Aero Lip on order, I thought a 5MM spacer would be ideal as well....I might try swapping those out for 5mm. These are Velocity CSL's and you're right the ET 40 on those wheels are too high for a lowered coupe, I may try a 5MM on the rear to go for a really wide aggressive look..

Do you think this would adversely effect handling??
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Thanks Ron, I got the reflectors and Aero Lip on order, I thought a 5MM spacer would be ideal as well....I might try swapping those out for 5mm. These are Velocity CSL's and you're right the ET 40 on those wheels are too high for a lowered coupe, I may try a 5MM on the rear to go for a really wide aggressive look..

Do you think this would adversely effect handling??
Stick with the spacer on the front, you have the ET33 rears right (any further and your asking for problems) your at optimal setting with the ET33 rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Stick with the spacer on the front, you have the ET33 rears right (any further and your asking for problems) your at optimal setting with the ET33 rear.
Yah...I think Velocity has an ET 33 on the rear...I might stick with the 10MM for now as I like the aggressive look and it doesn't seem to have effected my handling.

Thanks for Advice Ron!

-Joe
Appreciate 0