E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best way to protect paint from water sports... FMJ or?

12-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Best way to protect paint from water sports... FMJ or?

Hello all, I am really frustrated with the paint on my new 335. The car is about a month old and when I first got it I clayed the paint really well, did a light polish (FP via PC) and then did two coats of FMJ (PC again). Well, we have had some rain here the past few weeks, and the spotting on my car is crazy. I tried last week to use some quick detailer after washing the car but it did nothing. So I am going to have to clay and polish again, but this time I want to protect the paint better. From what I have read FMJ is supposed to be great, but my wife’s car (‘05 X3) is exposed to the same roads and rain and it does not get spotting like this. I use Megs NXT on it. Does the NXT protect better? Could it be the paint is older and has more wax layers so it does better against spotting? Should I just switch to NXT on the 335 as well? More coats of FMJ? Your input is greatly appreciated.

PS – The spots on the glass did not come off with vinegar…
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

try this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=water+spots

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes I've been following that thread, Picus has some great advice for removing them, but I am trying to figure out the best protector against permanent damage to the paint. Like I mentioned, driving through the same storm on the same roads then drying in the same garage does not mess up my wife’s paint like it is doing to my 335. Quite frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

A couple things that spring to mind. First, NXT is a chemical cleaner, so it's possible it's cleaning the deposits off her paint when you are using it. Another thought is NXY has fillers, so it might be filling some etched spots. *Another* possibility is just that her cars paint is more resistant to water spots than yours (which is possible).

Another possibility is that FMJ did not bond properly. This is a common problem/issue with FMJ - it requires a 24 hour cure time, no water on the car in that time or the durability is compromised in a big way.

Here is what I woulc try. Lightly polish the car with FPII or a chemical cleaner to remove the spots you have. When you're satisfied re-apply FMJ on a day when you can leave the car parked inside for 24 hours. After 24 hours apply a carnauba; I'd try something durable like Collinite 476S or Meguiars #16. See how that goes. If you're still having the same issue you might want to ask over on Autopia.org and see if you get some ideas from the guys there.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I did FP2 yesterday and got the vast majority of the spots off. Then applied FMJ. The car is sitting in the garage (24hrs) so I can apply some carnauba today. I am hoping it works.

By the way, you mentioned that the NXT Tech Wax is a "chemical cleaner." Is there any way to know if a product is a cleaner as well? I would not have thought of a wax as such. You have mentioned before that Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner as well. What others are there?

Oh yeah, we had some CLR bathroom cleaner (mentioned in the other thread) at the house so I tried it on the water spots on my windows and it worked quite well. I was very careful to keep it off the paint and rinsed the car well afterwards. I used a scotch pad and applied the CLR to the pad (not sprayed directly on the windows.)
Appreciate 0