E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Purchasing a 2011 328xi

10-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
chris14031
Rep
Drives: Toyota RAV4

Purchasing a 2011 328xi

Hey all,
I am interested in purchasing this used 328xi-
http://www.towneauto.com/certified/B...1dbdabe3c2.htm

it is a USED vehicle, even though the listing says certified.
The vehicle was certified in June, but in September it was moved to a different dealership (other than BMW) and it lost its CPO status.
The vehicle has 39,000 miles, 10 months left of warranty, and is white/oyster with value and premium packages. The CarFax makes the vehicle look fairly well, however it does say that an accident was reported. The CarFax doesn't give much detail, however, if the accident was major the vehicle would never have been certified, is that correct?
The car is listed at $26,5xx which I think is slightly overpriced considering the mileage, Carfax information, and comparative dealer prices. In fact, the dealership itself is selling a similarly equipped 2011 328xi red/beige with 27,000 miles for $25,995. Seems strange to me...

The thing is, I love the color combination of this model and I feel like I could get it for a good deal. I am just curious as to what your response is to the price and if you think I could get a discount on it, and if so how much?
Thank you all in advance!
-Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
bunnysloper
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F10, '09 MBZ C300

Honestly, there is a reason why the car couldn't sell as a CPO. Yes, CPO cars can have a history of accidents. I'm not sure how severe the accident have to be before it cannot be CPO'ed. However, it seems to me that body structure inspections are just visual.

Here's the link with information about the required inpsection that each CPO'ed car has to go through:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ification.aspx

The true value of a CPO car is in its Extended Warranty not in the certification itself really. Like anything else in life...when you are lucky, you got a good technician inspecting your car. When you are not lucky, you got a lazy technician who couldn't care less.

Honestly, with it being in an accident and that it showed up on Carfax, I wouldn't buy that car unless it's within the $22K range. If you really want to buy the car, use that to your advantage. If you want piece of mind, get a car that is CPO'ed and retained it.

Goodluck.

Last edited by bunnysloper; 10-21-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
chris14031
Rep

Thank you for the response. What is a little more off putting is that I emailed the dealership with two of my concerns and the answers seemed very distasteful to say the least. They didn't scream "We want your business" which is what I think most dealerships want, lol. Here is the transcript of the email I received:

"Hello, i am interested in this vehicle but I have a few reservations... The CarFax on this vehicle said that this vehicle was reported to be in an accident with another motor vehicle, however, the report does not give too much information and I would like to know more about this accident and how it effected the car itself."

Dealership's Answer We provide free car fax but if you want details about it you will have to pay CARFAX. The car is fine.

"In addition, this vehicle has over 38,000 miles yet is priced significantly higher than the other two non-cpo 2011 328xi"s you have in stock at Towne Mazda."

Dealership's Answer: This car has power a seat so it’s a different package.

What does everyone else think? Should I pass? Should I try to get it in the $22,000 range? Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
jeff080
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 2015 328i

I would definitely pass. It seems like they could care less if you buy the car or not. You can definitely find another one, with better options, and CPO for the same price. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Chris, is there anything I can do here in NJ? We have the biggest inventory in the Delaware valley.
      10-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
bunnysloper
Private
Rep

That is really how the dealerships operates. There are good salesperson and bad salesperson. Good and bad here as in how driven are they to make a sale. If you feel like this salesperson didn't answer your question, ask for someone else. Or have a talk with Ali@BMWMt.laurel, I had someone flew in from 500 miles away to buy my MR2 Spyder. Sometimes, it's worth going the distance to get the right car (at the right price).

Last edited by bunnysloper; 10-21-2013 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
E93FTW
BMW Über Alles
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert'

Garage List
2010 E93  [10.00]
Go to a better dealership and more honest(what a laugh!). Don't jump the gun just because you like the color. Don't make that mistake-I know I did ��
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
chris14031
Rep

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I did have an email address for another salesperson who works specifically at the BMW dealership, so I decided to email him and ask him some questions as to why the price is so high. Since the car used to be at the BMW dealer and it used to be CPO, I'm sure he has to have some knowledge of it. I pretty much laid out all of the reasons why I believe it is overpriced in comparison to fair market value, so I will let you all know how he responds (hopefully it'll be this afternoon). But at the moment my love for this specific car is slowly dying away-- so if a good deal is not made I will probably walk. The thing that stinks for me is that every BMW dealership in my area is 1.5-2 hours away, so it will be a drive get the one I want. Actually, there is only 1 comparable 2011 328xi within a 2 hour driving radius from my house, and even though it is priced low ($23,000 with 43,000 miles, same options) I'm not really feeling the color combination (black/saddle-- just not a fan of the saddle interior). If I cannot find anything that I feel is a fair deal by the end of the year, I will expand my search and I will definitely contact Ali in NJ to find one that's right for me. Thank you all for your help thus far, I hope to update you all soon. Wish me luck, haha!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@BMWMt.laurel View Post
Chris, is there anything I can do here in NJ? We have the biggest inventory in the Delaware valley.
hey Ali, this for you bro
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
chris14031
Rep

So far the dealer doesn't seem to be willing to budge on the price anymore than $500-1000, and I am still waiting on a reason why it is priced higher than other models they have for sale with less miles. If I don't get a compelling reason why it's priced higher, or what the extent of the accident was, I think I will definitely pass.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
LOL thank for the video.
      10-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
chris14031
Rep

Hey everybody, I just wanted to give a quick update on my search. Then sales person I contacted gave me the service record for the vehicle after the accident in 2010...apparently it was rear ended at a red light and the rear bumper had to be fixed and repaired... A total of just under $800. That doesn't seem too bad to me am I right? If it was just that too be repaired, I'm sure it wasn't anything major. I was also given a copy of the original sticker of the vehicle and the MSRP was around $40200. Value, Premium packages, automatic transmission, and heated steering wheel were the options in addition to the destination fee.

Lastly, the sales person wrote me yesterday and staid the GM would "let the car go" for $25,500 which still seems a little high to me. What do you all think? They haven't wiggled much on price but I made an appt to go in on Sat. What price does everyone think I should start as my offer? It seems like many people like to negotiate the price OTD, is that a better method? All help appreciated! Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
bunnysloper
Private
Rep

Start with $23,500 and work up to $24,500 maxed, $23,500 max if it is not CPO. Like I have mentioned to you before the E90 I bought a month ago has the same packages but did not have AWD and the heated steering wheel. But you shouldn't be that far apart from the price I paid for it. Don't be affraid to bring up the fact that this car and any on their lot that is not 2014 will drop a couple grand after December because a car that was 1 or 2 years old will suddenly become 2-3 years old, that's a big difference.
Appreciate 0