E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Uninsured Ferrari seized

09-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Uninsured Ferrari seized

Looks like the Met are on the ball with Operation Cubo

28yr old gets his car taken,shame!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-drivers.html

Apologies,should be in OT
Attached Images

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Who can afford to spend that much on a car and then doesn't insure it. What a knob!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

pleb!
      09-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Can't believe that.
If you can afford that car, certainly you can afford insurance on it.
Unless it was Arab Sheikh who thought that he could get away with it.
      09-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

He can claim it back anytime if he just sorts it out.

His own fuckin' fault.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

The owner obviously has the money so I suspect the fact that it isn't insured means the owner is either dodgy, is driving on a ban or not a UK resident.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93

looking at the car an level of tint... i would say its a foriegn car (arab??)...possibly ignorance of the law than anything else
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
When you have that much money, probably he just couldn't be bothered....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

....Good.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

There are any number of reasons why someone not familiar with the UK may be driving uninsured.

The main reason is that in most of the rest of the world it is the car itself and not the car+driver combo which is insured. You insure the car, that's the end of the story. Anybody with a licence is insured when they drive it. When foreigners come here, they do not realise this and just start driving someone's car. Before anyone jumps up and down saying Johnny Foreigner needs to learn UK laws if they want to drive here; over on the various Australian forums there are regular posts from Brits who crash into things and find they have no insurance, because they do not realise that, unlike the UK, in Australia there are two separate policies for third party property and third party injury. The Brits in Australia then find out to their financial suprise that they have to pay for the property damage they cause out of their own pocket. Ouch.

Or they may have no insurance because they may be driving on their foreign licence and be living overseas, with visits to the UK. But plod looks at their passport as sees a UK visa with an entry into the UK over 12 months ago. Plod decides they should have a UK licence because there is a requirement to obtain a UK licence after you have been in the UK 12 months. Therefore the driver is driving without a valid licence and therefore also without insurance, even if they have a policy in their name but noting a foreign driving licence.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Before anyone jumps up and down saying Johnny Foreigner needs to learn UK laws if they want to drive here; over on the various Australian forums there are regular posts from Brits who crash into things and find they have no insurance, because they do not realise that, unlike the UK, in Australia there are two separate policies for third party property and third party injury. The Brits in Australia then find out to their financial suprise that they have to pay for the property damage they cause out of their own pocket. Ouch.
Regardless of nationality or country of birth/residence, if someone wants to emigrate or visit a country and drive there,it's the responsibility of that person to aquaint themselves with the laws/regulations of the country they are in.

Ignorance is not a defence,hence the Ferrari sitting on Scotland Yards forecourt.

The only thing now missing is the price

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Regardless of nationality or country of birth/residence, if someone wants to emigrate or visit a country and drive there,it's the responsibility of that person to aquaint themselves with the laws/regulations of the country they are in.
Oh for sure it is. The point is that most people, including most reasonable people, including me and probably you, don't do this or don't do it all the time or don't do it for everything. I'm sure you have driven in France. I'm sure you don't know French traffic law as well as UK traffic law. Did you throughly research the "give way to the right for cars emerging from minor junctions, but only some minor juncitons" before you first drove in France?

Most of the time, you don't even know you are braking a law. After all, if you don't get caught breaking a law which you didn't know about, how do you know you broke it?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
After all, if you don't get caught breaking a law which you didn't know about, how do you know you broke it?
That's a bit like saying, "If I don't know I'm speeding you shouldn't find me guilty"
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
That's a bit like saying, "If I don't know I'm speeding you shouldn't find me guilty"
Well speeding is an absolute offence. The only requirment for the offence is that the event took place. Most offences are not absolute, there is a requirement to prove intent. For example if you walk into a shop and walk out with something without paying for it, for a prosecution to be sucessful it is not enough that it is proven that the item was taken, it must also be proven that the person had the intent to steal it.

Anyway, most people know what a number in a red circle means. Most people do not know non-intuitive things like insurance law..... or indeed most Brits in France (for example) don't know under which circumstances you need to give way to cars emerging from the right... this is quite an important law since you could crash into something if you don't know it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I don't think rich people are required to have insurance.
If you have to have a court order to prove you have sufficient means set aside to settle any claim then I think you are good to go.

I know in the US you can do it, not sure about the UK but I would be surprised if you couldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh for sure it is. The point is that most people, including most reasonable people, including me and probably you, don't do this or don't do it all the time or don't do it for everything. I'm sure you have driven in France. I'm sure you don't know French traffic law as well as UK traffic law. Did you throughly research the "give way to the right for cars emerging from minor junctions, but only some minor juncitons" before you first drove in France?

Most of the time, you don't even know you are braking a law. After all, if you don't get caught breaking a law which you didn't know about, how do you know you broke it?
Yes,I have driven in France,plenty of times,but prior to making my first visit I did as much as I could (within reason) to aquaint myself of local rules and regulations in terms of French traffic law,as they are so different to those over here.

However,we are talking basics here,being insurance,and the implications of NOT having it.
It's fairly easy to find out what is required/needed in any country I'd suggest,as opposed to learning the entire highway code of any country you visit/emigrate to.

It's quite often the case that Johnny Foreigner (as you call them)is only too well aware of the laws/regs in the UK, but choose to ignore them,hoping that their disengenuous ignorance will get them off the hook.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Bomber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 X5 40D M Sport

Garage List
In that colour it looks like Stelios's car
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
If you have to have a court order to prove you have sufficient means set aside to settle any claim then I think you are good to go.

That statement is total and utter horseshit, but I'm not sure if you're being facetious by suggesting the rich are above the law or you actually think that is the case?

For the sake of clarity, in this country you need to have minimum 3rd party insurance by law, whether you're Peter Pov or Johnny Richpants.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
There are any number of reasons why someone not familiar with the UK may be driving uninsured.

The main reason is that in most of the rest of the world it is the car itself and not the car+driver combo which is insured. You insure the car, that's the end of the story. Anybody with a licence is insured when they drive it. When foreigners come here, they do not realise this and just start driving someone's car. Before anyone jumps up and down saying Johnny Foreigner needs to learn UK laws if they want to drive here; over on the various Australian forums there are regular posts from Brits who crash into things and find they have no insurance, because they do not realise that, unlike the UK, in Australia there are two separate policies for third party property and third party injury. The Brits in Australia then find out to their financial suprise that they have to pay for the property damage they cause out of their own pocket. Ouch.

Or they may have no insurance because they may be driving on their foreign licence and be living overseas, with visits to the UK. But plod looks at their passport as sees a UK visa with an entry into the UK over 12 months ago. Plod decides they should have a UK licence because there is a requirement to obtain a UK licence after you have been in the UK 12 months. Therefore the driver is driving without a valid licence and therefore also without insurance, even if they have a policy in their name but noting a foreign driving licence.
plus one.

When I first moved in the UK, found it very "weird" that the driver aswell had to be insured.

Most countries do not offer any "guidance" on their local laws etc...I know its a crime to beat someone up!....

I only learnt about the highway code on forums and through word of mouth!!!!...parking on single yellow lines after 18 30, whos got priority at junctions, when two lanes are merging into one etc.....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post

That statement is total and utter horseshit, but I'm not sure if you're being facetious by suggesting the rich are above the law or you actually think that is the case?

For the sake of clarity, in this country you need to have minimum 3rd party insurance by law, whether you're Peter Pov or Johnny Richpants.
Actually in the US, in states where there is mandated insurance, it is permissible to self-insure. That is, even if insurance is required, it is also possible to legally drive with no insurance if you demonstrate you are able to pay claims up to a (high) limit. Or maybe you need to lodge a bond to that amount, I can't remember.

The point is: the way insurance works in the UK is NOT the way it works most places. Foreign drivers have no reason to suspect this. Just like most Brits are surprised the first time a French car to their right on a minor road almost crashes into them.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Actually in the US, in states where there is mandated insurance, it is permissible to self-insure. That is, even if insurance is required, it is also possible to legally drive with no insurance if you demonstrate you are able to pay claims up to a (high) limit. Or maybe you need to lodge a bond to that amount, I can't remember.

The point is: the way insurance works in the UK is NOT the way it works most places. Foreign drivers have no reason to suspect this. Just like most Brits are surprised the first time a French car to their right on a minor road almost crashes into them.
The thread is about a car being seized in the UK.
My statement clarified I was talking about UK.
What has what is allowable in certain US states got to do with this thread?

The burden of responsibility is on the visitor to ensure they know the rules, be that us visiting a foreign country or foreigners visiting here.
Suggesting the host country is in someway responsible because their rules are different is a ridiculous standpoint and endemic of the "blame someone else" culture instead of taking responsibility for ones own actions or inactions.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Why are you talking about foreign drivers,US insurance bonds and French traffic rules and regs?

The car was seized in the UK,under UK law,no-one knows (apart from the authorities, I'd imagine) who the owner of the car is,or whether he was indeed foreign.

Appreciate 0