E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > iPhone 3Gs Y Cable

01-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
zkhi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i Sedan

iPhone 3Gs Y Cable

I read on an article somewhere that you can get the iPhone Y cable for free under the warranty. I find that hard to believe considering the dealer has this for sale as an accessory.

Thoughts / Ideas
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Looks like you just bought your car. Therefore, your dealer should give you one FREE ! My dealer (BMW Toronto) gave me one without me asking for it and I picked up my '11 just last month
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Looks like you just bought your car. Therefore, your dealer should give you one FREE ! My dealer (BMW Toronto) gave me one without me asking for it and I picked up my '11 just last month
Same here but I got mine at Performance BMW in St Catharines.

The cables are apparently more scarce now because the latest build have a new communications interface that do not require a cable. They connect via Bluetooth.
      01-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Auto Pilot
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

When I took delivery the guy who went through all the cars internal goodies with me gave me the cable and had me connect my 3GS to show me some of the iDrive features.

Assumed everyone got it for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
DeltaBMW'r
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I had charging issues with my iPod Y-cable. Apparently the deck can't provide enough current through this cable to charge an Iphone from near empty. It only helped hold the battery at a level and if it did charge the phone, it took forever to charge from low battery level.

BMW have now come out with a new interface cable that provides power through the power outlet as well as the USB connection. This new cable then connects to the Y-cable which plugs into the phone.

Now my Iphone will charge from empty to full in a relatively short time.

AFIK, BMW are making this cable available under warranty for those customers who have consistently recorded problems with charging their phone. Apparently the iPods are fine with the Y-cable alone.

I'll scan the info sheet on the new cable later and post so you get the idea how it is conected.. for those interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta335i View Post
I had charging issues with my iPod Y-cable. Apparently the deck can't provide enough current through this cable to charge an Iphone from near empty. It only helped hold the battery at a level and if it did charge the phone, it took forever to charge from low battery level.

BMW have now come out with a new interface cable that provides power through the power outlet as well as the USB connection. This new cable then connects to the Y-cable which plugs into the phone.

Now my Iphone will charge from empty to full in a relatively short time.

AFIK, BMW are making this cable available under warranty for those customers who have consistently recorded problems with charging their phone. Apparently the iPods are fine with the Y-cable alone.

I'll scan the info sheet on the new cable later and post so you get the idea how it is conected.. for those interested.
Have you got a part number? I'd like to see if I can get one of these under warranty before it runs out. I don't have an IPhone yet, but may get one later this year and may be out of warranty by then. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
DeltaBMW'r
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

BMW p/n is 61122167663, Charging Adaptor for Apple iPod touch/iPhone. Copy of info sheet included with adaptor is attached as pdf...

Note on packaging:
"This product has been tested and approved with Apple iPod and iPhone.
If your iPhone 3G/3GS/4 has firmware version 4.0x it must be updated to a newer version prior to using this charging adaptor."
Attached Images
File Type: pdf iPod Adaptor.pdf (37.4 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by DeltaBMW'r; 01-20-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep
Drives: its fast

thank goodness COMBOX is here, now you don't have to fumble around with crazy contraptions like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

I just got that adapter yesterday (dealer called it a "W cable") and it's charging my iPhone 3GS perfectly now. Delta - thanks for the part number, as there's no way I could've straightened that out without it.

It's not a warranty item. It absolutely should be, but it's not. The dealership charged me 107.50+tx for the part. I'm on the phone with BMW Canada right now, and they're telling me that my only recourse would be to go back to the dealer that sold me the car and try to get them to 'good will' it. Too late now, as I've already bought it, so I'm f*cked.

For anyone else with this problem, I would go back to the guys who sold you the car and see if begging helps. You can forget getting help from corporate, or any kind of official warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
DeltaBMW'r
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post
I just got that adapter yesterday (dealer called it a "W cable") and it's charging my iPhone 3GS perfectly now. Delta - thanks for the part number, as there's no way I could've straightened that out without it.

It's not a warranty item. It absolutely should be, but it's not. The dealership charged me 107.50+tx for the part. I'm on the phone with BMW Canada right now, and they're telling me that my only recourse would be to go back to the dealer that sold me the car and try to get them to 'good will' it. Too late now, as I've already bought it, so I'm f*cked.

For anyone else with this problem, I would go back to the guys who sold you the car and see if begging helps. You can forget getting help from corporate, or any kind of official warranty.

I was having HPFP problems in the midst of my complaints about the iPhone not charging --- I think they gave it to me to appease me... but it in my opinion, should be under warranty.

Apparently the one they gave me was the first they one got in from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
I paid 5$ for mine on ebay.

Charge perfectly and the sound is clean.

So if you're forced to buy it; you might want to consider this option.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

Maximus - you suck. Seriously, I hate you and your $5 adapter. Actually, maybe I just hate myself, you're just fine...

For the benefit of everyone else who hasn't already shelled out $110, maybe you can post some details on this frigging gadget.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
DeltaBMW'r
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

I highly doubt you got the "W" cable for $5 since BMW just released it a little while ago. Look at my previous post to see what cable we are talking about.

"Y" cables are as cheap as $1 on eBay but shipping can be $15.

The "Y" cable was not charging my iPhone 3GS... But did charge my iTouch. I was told that the BMW Hifi system could not supply enough power through the USB port to the iPhone when it was low battery.

The "W" adaptor provides power directly from the car auxiliary power socket instead of through the stereo.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
Same here but I got mine at Performance BMW in St Catharines.

The cables are apparently more scarce now because the latest build have a new communications interface that do not require a cable. They connect via Bluetooth.
Yea I picked up my car today. No Y cable cause now I can plug my iphone 4 in with the "white Apple USB cable". It charges, plays, and I can scroll playlists, etc.

The 3.5mm jack is now just for other phones/MP3 players I guess.

Bluetooth is only for taking calls I think. At least I dunno if I can play music through it.
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
okevino
MR x.
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335is DCT

Garage List
i did not ask and they gave me the cable when i picked up the car last oct.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
vifferfun
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan 6MT

A related question -- I have a 2007 E92 and it doesn't have a USB port in the centre console. All I have in the centre console is an Aux-in and a 12V socket. Could I put a 12V-to-USB convertor in the 12V socket, and then use the BMW Y Cable to both charge my iPhone and connect to Aux-in with a single connection to my iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
tom619
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Just a heads up, if anyone still needs one of these adapters I have one for sale here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1049922
Appreciate 0