E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede Rev3 USB cable driver problem

11-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Procede Rev3 USB cable driver problem

UPDATE

I installed virtual XP on my computer and downloaded the files using XP. I then ran the preinstaller, but for some reason it would not create the Silab folder onto the virtual XP. Instead, I followed the setup file directions (this tells the preinstaller what to do) and manually created the directory to XP. This required going to the C drive/Program Files and the making a new Silabs folder/ MCU folder/ CP210x folder. Then I copied the x64 and x86 folders from the driver folder downloaded to this newly created CP210x folder. I also copied the other 4 files into this folder (slabus, slabus, slabser, slabw2k). This effectively mimiced what running the preinstaller would do.

I then connected my Procede, but nothing happened on its own. On the top of teh screen there will be a long tab, in the middle it will say USB, click on it and you should see the cable as an option. Click attach. It should work now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone had any problems installing the driver from the Vishnu website on a Windows 7 computer for the REv3 USB cable?

My computer seems to not want to cooperate. After running the preinstaller.exe and plugging in the Procede thru the cable, first my computer cannot automatically find and install the driver. Then I try to install the driver by finding the cable in device manager and updating the driver by pointing it to the folder that contains the driver that was downloaded from the Vishnu website. My computer tells me that it found the driver, but was unable to install due to an error. It then says "Access is denied".

Anyone have this same issue? Have most people with Windows 7 been able to install the driver with ease?

I've already tried disabling the firewall and the need to ask me to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I am logged in as an administrator. And I've also tried running the preinstaller.exe as an administrator. I have also tried going into the properties of the preinstaller and changing the compatibility mode to Run the program in the compatibility mode with Vista, Vista Servie pack 1, vista service pack 2, xp service pack 1 and xp service pack 2. No luck.

Any ideas?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Last edited by GeorgiaTech335coupe; 11-11-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If i remember correctly windows 7 has a feature where you have to reboot and then allow it to install drivers without authorization or certificates.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
If i remember correctly windows 7 has a feature where you have to reboot and then allow it to install drivers without authorization or certificates.
I tried something like that, using method 2 from the Silab website.

http://www.silabs.com/support/knowle...edge-base.aspx

This disabled the driver signing supposedly allowing uncertified drivers.

If this is what you speak of, it didn't help.

Maybe I'll try installing the driver in safe mode?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
bmwfan1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I went through hell with this! Ended up reinstalling windows completely and never setup a wireless network before I could get it to install properly. That was the only solution I came up with. Hopefully yours isn't ad drastic as a problem.

Oh, I went from Windows 7 originally back to XP.
      11-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Interesting. Did you completely turn off your computers WIFI adapter first? You mentioned disabling the firewall, but you want to disable WIFI, so it can not even attempt to get the latest driver from the internet. I know in the readme it says to:

1) Turn off WIFI. If your computer has access to the internet, Windows will automatically try to update to the newest version (v6.x) of this driver which will not work with the Procede. The Procede requires version 4.40.1.0 which is what this installer will install.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yeah, the internet connection screwed up your attempt to install the drivers.

You can also install and run an XP shell inside Win 7 Pro for your legacy software needs.
      11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Interesting. Did you completely turn off your computers WIFI adapter first? You mentioned disabling the firewall, but you want to disable WIFI, so it can not even attempt to get the latest driver from the internet. I know in the readme it says to:

1) Turn off WIFI. If your computer has access to the internet, Windows will automatically try to update to the newest version (v6.x) of this driver which will not work with the Procede. The Procede requires version 4.40.1.0 which is what this installer will install.
I didn't turn off WIFI, but i disconnected from the internet. I figured that would have the same effect. Plus the first time I attempted to install the driver was outside in a covered parking spot far away from any internet connections that I could connect to. Maybe I'll try with WIFI disabled. Also, when I am connected to the internet it will install the 6.5 version of the driver automatically. Obvisously, I delete and uninstall this driver when trying again.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Yeah, the internet connection screwed up your attempt to install the drivers.

You can also install and run an XP shell inside Win 7 Pro for your legacy software needs.
What's the easiest way to do option 2?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep

We (and when I say "we" I meant my employee) set up an XP shell inside our new Dell running Win 7 Pro. Easy? Easy as installing a new OS on a blank slate. You actually have to install everything like it's a completely separate computer. Takes a while. And you need 7 Pro.
      11-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I booted my computer in safe mode with no internet connectivity and still got the same "access denied" message.

I really think the problem is that the preinstaller.exe is not doing what it is suppose to for whatever reason. I think this because everytime the computer tries to automatically find the driver, it says driver not found. Is there anyway to manually do what the preinstaller is suppose to do?

I'm hoping to get this resolved by Friday evening as I am going to the dragstrip and for once in FL we actually have cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
bmwfan1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Maybe try downloading a new zip file from procede's site. I got rid of the first batch of downloads after my failed attempts the first day.

Just an idea, may or may not be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I booted my computer in safe mode with no internet connectivity and still got the same "access denied" message.

I really think the problem is that the preinstaller.exe is not doing what it is suppose to for whatever reason. I think this because everytime the computer tries to automatically find the driver, it says driver not found. Is there anyway to manually do what the preinstaller is suppose to do?

I'm hoping to get this resolved by Friday evening as I am going to the dragstrip and for once in FL we actually have cold weather.
      11-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Tried it with turning off my wireless card....no luck, same result - still says access denied.

Maybe it needs to be thrown through a wall first? Something keeps telling me I should do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Tried it with turning off my wireless card....no luck, same result - still says access denied.

Maybe it needs to be thrown through a wall first? Something keeps telling me I should do that.
Sorry. Try getting Robert@vishnu on the phone and see if he has any ideas.

I got so frustrated with the old serial to USB with Win 7, I went and bought a $200 XP netbook about a year ago for all my car apps. Just wondering is your Win7 32 bit, or 64 bit?

The install directory destination should be: C:\Program Files\Silabs\MCU\CP210x

If I open either of the .inf files in that directory it has the version as DriverVer=02/22/2007,4.40.1.0

Do you see the same? I'm XP and it lands a bunch of files named slab****.sys in C:\Window\System32\Drivers.

Last edited by scottp999; 11-11-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry. Try getting Robert@vishnu on the phone and see if he has any ideas.

I got so frustrated with the old serial to USB with Win 7, I went and bought a $200 XP netbook about a year ago for all my car apps. Just wondering is your Win7 32 bit, or 64 bit?

The install directory destination should be: C:\Program Files\Silabs\MCU\CP210x

If I open either of the .inf files in that directory it has the version as DriverVer=02/22/2007,4.40.1.0

Do you see the same? I'm XP and it lands a bunch of files named slab****.sys in C:\Window\System32\Drivers.
Yes, I see the Silabs folder in Program files. It looks like the preinstaller adds these files, so I guess it is doing what it is suppose to. So problem must be with Windows 7 64 bit Pro not wanting to install the drivers from that folder into my Windows\System32\Drivers folder.

Do you which files exactly were put into that folder for you? Easiest way to check would be to sort by date, and find one of the file names that you know and see all files from that date.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

See first post for update - ended up installing Virtual XP which worked with some manipulation
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

I wonder if these problems would happen with a mac I have a windows 7 also and had the same problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
I wonder if these problems would happen with a mac I have a windows 7 also and had the same problem!
Your Windows 7 also 64 bit?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
You can see the full release notes for the product here:
http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Docu...ease_Notes.txt

Per Vishnu's read me the procede needs version 4.40 to work. Which is what is on Vishnu's site.

4.40 is when they just started with Vista support. It became certified for Vista at version 5.0. Windows 7 is not mentioned until version 5.4.29.

version 5.4.29
New features/Enhancements
-------------------------
Added Windows 7 to the general installer for XP/2003/Vista under KMDF 1.9
Modified driver to support selective suspend in Vista/7

WHQL Certified for XP/2003/Vista(32/64)/7(32/64)

So it looks like at least for Win 7 64 the work you put in might be needed by all? Not sure, but thanks for sharing your solution
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See first post for update - ended up installing Virtual XP which worked with some manipulation
Wow, you are tenacious. Good job getting it working. I'm sure I'll run into it once my XP laptop crashes. Or I'll just get another good used XP lappy to run all the car stuff. This one here is getting really long in the tooth...
      09-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Is this the only way rev 3 will connect to a windows 7 laptop? something doesnt seem right here. I followed Shiv's directions to the T and a pop comes up saying access denied. Im trying this round about method but this she just be a temp fix.

Georgia,
Did you find a native way to do this in windows 7 or was this the permanent fix?

anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
Is this the only way rev 3 will connect to a windows 7 laptop? something doesnt seem right here. I followed Shiv's directions to the T and a pop comes up saying access denied. Im trying this round about method but this she just be a temp fix.

Georgia,
Did you find a native way to do this in windows 7 or was this the permanent fix?

anyone else?
I think others might have figured a way. I'm too lazy to try another way because going through Virtual XP isn't that big of a hassle. It would be nice to not have to tho, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #22
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

I've solved it ... after a few hours of tinkering.

So, here's the run-down

---

Win7, is so smart its stupid. It knows if the files were created via another computer (duh, they had to be created somewhere), and it will not let the computer run/install them if they stay encrypted.
  1. Download the Rev3 Driver from: http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...0Installer.zip
  2. Unzip the file to the location of your choosing.
  3. Notice if the unzipped folder is GREEN or BLACK
  4. If its Black, then you should be able to install without issue. If its GREEN then follow the rest of these directions.
  5. Right Click on the GREEN folder which contains the driver installation files.
  6. Select properties.
  7. Click Advanced button in the General tab.
  8. UNCHECK the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box.
  9. Select the OK box.
  10. Apply the change and select OK to close the dialog.

Here is where we are going to change some things to allow a "success" or "fail" message for the install.
  1. Open the Driver Installation folder.
  2. Right Click on the Setup file and select "Open With..." Choose NOTEPAD.
  3. Where is say [Install Quite Mode] ... Change the word 'On' to 'Off'.
  4. Choose the File Menu, and select SAVE ... NOT SAVE AS!
  5. Turn off your network/internet connections.
  6. Run the PreInstaller.
  7. A dialog should open now, instead of the program doing nothing.
  8. Choose OK to all the prompts, do not change any values.

When the setup completes, you will get hopefully get a success message. If you do, plug in your USB, and allow the driver to recognize the hardware, and install itself.

That should be all.

Took me about 3 hours to figure all this out after trying MANY things. Hopefully it will help out someone else.

I may have left out some peices, but I tried so many things, I'm not sure if any other steps helped make this a success. Give it a whirl and let me know how it goes.

Anthony

Last edited by trbolexis; 02-12-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0