E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CC ID Code 29

07-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
CC ID Code 29

Ok I had the car opened up at full throttle and the half engine light went on. The car now seems sluggish. I put my scanner on the car ,and it gave no codes. I cleaned the vanos solenoids out by soaking them in gasoline for an hour and then used an air compressor to blow them out. The car did seem to run a little smoother on idle when I did that, but as soon as I went to WOT, the car blew the half engine code again. When I have it in park, I can run it up to 6000 polls rpms and no half engine light at all. When I shut down the car and then restart it, the code goes away. The car acts normal as can be as long as you don't pounce on the throttle.

Soooo????

I am thinking one of the vanos solenoids is going bad or is bad and or the HPFP is shot. In which case if it is the ladder, I think BMW has to replace it free of charge through 10 years or 120,000 mile which ever comes first.

Any thoughts??

Please Advise......
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Charge pipe, check it pls. Run your hand along it all the way to the throttle body under your air box. Tends to break back there. Tell tale symptoms. Especially how in idle it's fine, its cause there's no load and no boost.

$200 for a new metal one, about an hour DIY. Less if you've doen it before.

I could be wrong i guess. Let us know how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Ok I had the car opened up at full throttle and the half engine light went on. The car now seems sluggish. I put my scanner on the car ,and it gave no codes. I cleaned the vanos solenoids out by soaking them in gasoline for an hour and then used an air compressor to blow them out. The car did seem to run a little smoother on idle when I did that, but as soon as I went to WOT, the car blew the half engine code again. When I have it in park, I can run it up to 6000 polls rpms and no half engine light at all. When I shut down the car and then restart it, the code goes away. The car acts normal as can be as long as you don't pounce on the throttle.

Soooo????

I am thinking one of the vanos solenoids is going bad or is bad and or the HPFP is shot. In which case if it is the ladder, I think BMW has to replace it free of charge through 10 years or 120,000 mile which ever comes first.

Any thoughts??

Please Advise......
      07-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
Charge pipe, check it pls. Run your hand along it all the way to the throttle body under your air box. Tends to break back there. Tell tale symptoms. Especially how in idle it's fine, its cause there's no load and no boost.

$200 for a new metal one, about an hour DIY. Less if you've doen it before.

I could be wrong i guess. Let us know how it looks.
You were right!

The charge pipe where it is connected to the lower charge pipe, which of course connects to the inner cooler was somehow disconnected. Weird. I don't know.

I put it back together and secured it with a clamp. Ran it up and down the street at WOT. She purrs like a kitten.

Thanks man....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You were right!

The charge pipe where it is connected to the lower charge pipe, which of course connects to the inner cooler was somehow disconnected. Weird. I don't know.

I put it back together and secured it with a clamp. Ran it up and down the street at WOT. She purrs like a kitten.

Thanks man....
You should still consider a new charge pipe. It's a VERY common thing to fail at higher then normal boost pressures, and when it breaks, you likely won't want to wait a few days for a new one to arrive, especially if this is your DD.
      07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Yes. Gonna check everything out this weekend and make sure all connections are secure and the pipes both lower and upper are intact. Once again, thanks for your quick response on the forum. If you have a preferred stainless steel type charge pipe, send me the link.
Appreciate 0