E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Replacement help please

08-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

i have a set of OEM's for sale if interested.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tripleblack View Post
Thanks guys. Ok, here's the plan assuming I get the job. Replace turbos with RB. Add Procede Rev3 with 2-Step Rev Limit/NLS Kit and with Flex Fuel System and DME opton. Add BMS downpipes with downpipe fix and hardware and DCI. Check with BMW and change any fluids not changed. Inspect bushings in suspension and replace as needed. Have PSI do the install. $5,000 in parts plus labor. Should get me moving pretty good, fix the problems, and let me drive her another 100k or so, 2 yrs? Did i miss anything? I'm gonna skip the single option and when she dies then take a lay of the land of what's out there and what the fiscal situation is and go from there. Maybe a used 2013 Shelby GT 500 or 2011 Nissan GT-R or M3.

Opinions? I don't want to start a posting battle, just want to know if I blatantly missed something, something is or isn't necessary or compatible, and what kind of realistic gains I can expect. I do have access to an E85 pump 5 miles from my house. And I don't want too much additional noise. I drive it too much and use it for work so I was planning on sticking with stock exhaust minus cats.
Thx
I don't think BMS makes a DPs for the n54. Also, with the Procede you won't need a DP fix. I'd go with AR DPs and I guarantee PSI will recommend the same (perfect fitment). You'll also want a FMIC if you plan on going with RBs. Don't remember if you are MT or not, but with RBs you will more than likely need an upgraded clutch.

There's a possibility that my AR catless ceramic coated DPs may be on the market soon as I may only need a single DP in the very near future I'll let you know if that is the case.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I don't think BMS makes a DPs for the n54. Also, with the Procede you won't need a DP fix. I'd go with AR DPs and I guarantee PSI will recommend the same (perfect fitment). You'll also want a FMIC if you plan on going with RBs. Don't remember if you are MT or not, but with RBs you will more than likely need an upgraded clutch.

There's a possibility that my AR catless ceramic coated DPs may be on the market soon as I may only need a single DP in the very near future I'll let you know if that is the case.
Brand new: http://www.burgertuning.com/BMS_135_335_downpipes.html
      08-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Touche.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
I've had oil changes, brakes 4 times, rotors twice, 2 fogs, 3 halos, 5 fuel pumps, both rear wheel bearings, been rear ended twice, clipped in the front side while parked, bent a front swing arm on a pot hole, 6 sets of tires, 4 sets of wheels, one wiper arm bolt cover replaced, gas cap cord snap
do you go by the nickname "Lucky"?

as the others stated, get new OEMs from Tischer or get a "good" used set here in used parts forum.

Once you get a money job again, you can get a new car or order the RBs then.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
How can an E93 NOT put a smile on your face!? Are you kidding me man. Top down, wind in your hair and turbo whining / exhaust groaning it's a beautiful thing.

Although, I do understand your need for speed. RB's + FBO with 93/94 octane and you'll be well in the 450+ range. All for about $6000 to be safe.

However, I wouldn't do anything unless you get the job. As I said earlier, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

GL dude, hope you get it. Wish I could make $320k lol, so jealous!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Whats a decent FMIC and it is a MT. I thought MT handled more power than AT so it would be fine with above mods.

Skip the DP fix and is anything not compatible with the E85 if I do the conversion?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
GL dude, hope you get it. Wish I could make $320k lol, so jealous!
Nothing being done unless I get the job. Right now $275.00 a week for the past 15 months doesn't quite pay the bills so don't be jealous yet. But thanks for the good wishes zebra99 and everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Whats a decent FMIC and it is a MT. I thought MT handled more power than AT so it would be fine with above mods.

Skip the DP fix and is anything not compatible with the E85 if I do the conversion?
I have the AA FMIC. It gets the job done, I don't really have any experience with the others. I'm sure there are a few options that are reasonable and sufficient.

As far as the MT, yes you are correct in stating that the transmission can handle the power. But, the stock clutch will not. I am FBO+meth and the stock clutch couldn't handle it. Some have driven with RB turbos on stock clutch, but its on borrowed time. If you go RB, you will most likely need an upgraded clutch.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

I'd like to start by saying I was in the same position as you, with leaky wastegates. I never considered getting the single turbo and I wasn't hard up for cash. I did end up getting RB's as a long term fix, they are extremely well built and can technically operate without any other supporting mods (though most don't).

THAT SAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
wait, you're "scraping by" and "trying to catch up on bills," but you're considering spending $10k on the Vishnu single turbo kit?
+1 I have to agree with these guys on this one. If you're truly scraping by then you should be more worried about how you're going to fill up your car rather than spending $3k on direct bolt up RB's (plus install, will run closer to $5k) or well over TEN F*CKING GRAND on a single turbo kit that hardly anyone has yet. You clearly don't realize that when you do that level of modification, no matter how solid initial tests are of the product, that you have to have a lot of cash on hand for when something goes wrong. Like some said, if you absolutely have to replace the turbos, there is nothing wrong with buying some stock turbos at a much more manageable price. I hate to be a party pooper but at times where I've been hard up for cash, the car came dead last. And believe me, though it sounds horrible with all the rattle, and the leak is annoying, the car will still drive just fine. The turbos can crap completely and (while not good) the car is still drivable. Another thing to remember is OEM turbos can be had within a week, RB's will take a few months unless you're lucky to catch a few in stock still, and god knows how long it takes to get a Vishnu kit together, not to mention the long, complicated install.

Long story short, do not even consider modifying when you don't have plenty of spare cash laying around. The last thing you need is the headache that inherently comes with messing with the electronics and pressurized turbo system, when you already have a headache of other bills to pay.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #33
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
I'd like to start by saying I was in the same position as you, with leaky wastegates. I never considered getting the single turbo and I wasn't hard up for cash. I did end up getting RB's as a long term fix, they are extremely well built and can technically operate without any other supporting mods (though most don't).

THAT SAID

+1 I have to agree with these guys on this one. If you're truly scraping by then you should be more worried about how you're going to fill up your car rather than spending $3k on direct bolt up RB's (plus install, will run closer to $5k) or well over TEN F*CKING GRAND on a single turbo kit that hardly anyone has yet. You clearly don't realize that when you do that level of modification, no matter how solid initial tests are of the product, that you have to have a lot of cash on hand for when something goes wrong. Like some said, if you absolutely have to replace the turbos, there is nothing wrong with buying some stock turbos at a much more manageable price. I hate to be a party pooper but at times where I've been hard up for cash, the car came dead last. And believe me, though it sounds horrible with all the rattle, and the leak is annoying, the car will still drive just fine. The turbos can crap completely and (while not good) the car is still drivable. Another thing to remember is OEM turbos can be had within a week, RB's will take a few months unless you're lucky to catch a few in stock still, and god knows how long it takes to get a Vishnu kit together, not to mention the long, complicated install.

Long story short, do not even consider modifying when you don't have plenty of spare cash laying around. The last thing you need is the headache that inherently comes with messing with the electronics and pressurized turbo system, when you already have a headache of other bills to pay.
Thx for the advice but I guess you didn't read the first post or the other five that said I wasn't going to do anything unless I got a new job that I'm interviewing for paying in the six figures.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I have the AA FMIC. It gets the job done, I don't really have any experience with the others. I'm sure there are a few options that are reasonable and sufficient.

As far as the MT, yes you are correct in stating that the transmission can handle the power. But, the stock clutch will not. I am FBO+meth and the stock clutch couldn't handle it. Some have driven with RB turbos on stock clutch, but its on borrowed time. If you go RB, you will most likely need an upgraded clutch.
OK. cool. Probably going to need one soon anyway with 169k now on the OD.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Thx for the advice but I guess you didn't read the first post or the other five that said I wasn't going to do anything unless I got a new job that I'm interviewing for paying in the six figures.
Missed the six figures part. Good luck to you regardless! Still, make sure everything else is in line before you pull the trigger. I'd still get some RB's because they're more cost effective and proven turbo option so far. They don't disappoint, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear
Quote:
Missed the six figures part. Good luck to you regardless! Still, make sure everything else is in line before you pull the trigger. I'd still get some RB's because they're more cost effective and proven turbo option so far. They don't disappoint, trust me.
Why does everyone without a clue say the RB's are the best for the $? So I spend double for upgrades over stock to get 50 RWHP! I have personally road in two single turbo upgrade cars and I can tell you you're trying to compare apples to oranges. If you're going to spend the money, then spend it on a single and don't look back. The car is still a great daily driver, no lag, and power that you'll never get board with. I'm working my way to that point. I have everything accept for the manifold and turbo... So the cost can be spread out. I even have an e85 sensor now... :-). So if you want to take short cuts and still get your ass handed to you buy every GT500 red neck or Vett, save your money...
Appreciate 0