E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help

06-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Help

Ok long story short, went to a Tuner to install the full ER intercooler kit. Come to find out he sawed off the whole shroud including the screw mounts for the intercooler, so now i have a intercool hanging from the in and out pipes. Question being i signed paperwork saying that they aren't responsible for any problems cause germans don't have to fix anything if its not TuV legal or something along those terms. But anyways what can i do to fix this? Hangers? order a new one if so anyone know part number..... just sucks right now. Also all the pipes he removed had oil in them, does that mean my turbos are going or is that normal? Any guidance would be great. Thank you.
      06-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
The oil is normal...but you're saying they cut out the highlighted part below, on both sides? I don't think that would fall under a general 'problem' with the installation...that would fall under idiocy and I'd definitely talk with them, at length, about it.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
In any case, if you need a new mount, I'm not 100%...but it looks like it is probably part 1 in the below, which is $238 USD online, and would probably take a great deal of labor to replace.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=11
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I have replaced the radiator support before (part number 1) and I assure you it is not a hard DIY granted every mod on my car I have done myself. But I would give it a shot if your comfortable removing the headlights and front bumper you are half way home already. And be aware this is considered a bulk item so shipping is ridiculous expected to pay somewhere around $450 US final price.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelb View Post
The oil is normal...but you're saying they cut out the highlighted part below, on both sides? I don't think that would fall under a general 'problem' with the installation...that would fall under idiocy and I'd definitely talk with them, at length, about it.

Yes that is the piece they cut. I was very annoyed to be honest i did drive it back home... Really sucks. Im wondering if I tried welding a bracket of some sort, gosh i honestly don't know I'm so annoyed right now. I plan on taking it apart myself and seeing what can be done hopefully tomorrow and ill post some pics of this mess.
      06-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker View Post
I have replaced the radiator support before (part number 1) and I assure you it is not a hard DIY granted every mod on my car I have done myself. But I would give it a shot if your comfortable removing the headlights and front bumper you are half way home already. And be aware this is considered a bulk item so shipping is ridiculous expected to pay somewhere around $450 US final price.
Does it come with all the hardware or are there things i should also look into getting. Also if i find a way to secure the intercooler should I get a new support or what do you think.
      06-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themythx View Post
Does it come with all the hardware or are there things i should also look into getting. Also if i find a way to secure the intercooler should I get a new support or what do you think.
It does not require any additional hardware i just reused all the old parts. I would make sure you have a set of torx sockets and jack stands tends to make your life easier. Another suggestion is to do it all in one day it makes it easier to put everything back together. Feel free to PM if you need help

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep

I found it and am going to order it, overall is it a easy install something I can do at home?
      06-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I apologize as I don't recall which person just installed their FMIC, but they included a DIY and some pics where they fabbed their own bracket of sorts in place of that mount. It might be one of the big tom or cx type FMIC threads.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
I apologize as I don't recall which person just installed their FMIC, but they included a DIY and some pics where they fabbed their own bracket of sorts in place of that mount. It might be one of the big tom or cx type FMIC threads.
Thanks, I'm going to check that out now.
      06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themythx View Post
I found it and am going to order it, overall is it a easy install something I can do at home?

Sorry didn't even see this. But if you do decide to replace it you can do it at home with jack stands and common tools just be prepared to go in blind there isnt any real "guide". But it is fairly simple to find what needs to be un-screwed once you start.

Appreciate 0