E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread

05-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #287
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

HellsBells, don't feel bad for asking valid questions! First, all the OEM speaker wires originate at a connector at the L7 amp. You would have to cut or splice all those wires if you wanted to hook up the MS-8, unless you used Technic's harness. With Technic's harness, you cut the wires of the harness, so no harm done to the OEM wires, and no worries about future warranty issues. Second, the set-up would be very simple:

Output channel #:
1: Front Left door mid/tweet
2: Front Right door mid/tweet
3: Front Left underseat woofer
4: Front Right underseat woofer
5: Center
6: Rear Left Door mid AND Rear Left Deck mid/tweet connected in PARALLEL
7: Rear Right Door mid AND Rear Right Deck mid/tweet connected in PARALLEL
8: empty

BTW, you can map the different output channels in any particular order you like, so the above is just an example.

For the input, you are right that you just run an RCA from the HU to the MS-8 and connect it to Ch 1 & 2. Don't forget to connect the turn-on wire to the back of the HU (best get an RCA cable that already includes a turn-on wire).

Last edited by kaigoss69; 05-03-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #288
neusaab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Kaigoss, props

Kaigoss, I'm new like HellsBells and have read this 14 page thread mulitple times. Thanks to you, Technic, VPelectricity and everyone else, I have confidence moving forward with my own project.

I have an MS-8 ready to install into my e90 335 with Logic7, and found a pair of Kicker underseats to install. I will shamelessly be cribbing Kaigoss's MS-8 setup, powering most all speakers with MS-8 with the exception of the underseats which will be driven by my older Xtant amp.

Due to a a backorder on Technic's harness (and my impatience), I've cut the factory harness from the amp and attached quick disconnects to both sides to return to stock when I sell the car, and will splice in and out of the MS-8 via quick disconnects as well. It doesn't seem like I've lost significant signal with this setup, listening to the system restored to stock (MS-8 offline, factory harness interrupted by quick disconnects).

Still deciding where to tap the remote turn on for the MS-8 and Xtant. More to follow when I actually do the install, rather than just this prep work. I'm sure to need help with EQ curves, etc. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #289
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Technic, are you still selling the harness?

Last edited by HellsBells; 05-03-2011 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: forgot to add a thank you to Kiagoss69!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #290
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep

I took this to a professional installer and they are saying it needs 4 RCA cables from ms 8 to the Dynavin HU, does this sound correct? Does anyone have experience with the ms 8 with a Dynavin HU? It uses the front speakers for Bluetooth and satellite so the back speakers continue to play music. I think they set up the connections incorrectly as the Bluetooth IN is not working correctly (front speakers), but OUT (microphone) works great.
I want to take this back to have them fix it, but I want to be able to tell them what they did wrong...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #291
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

It doesn't matter what HU you use. The MS-8 only needs one set of inputs. The ONLY time you send more than that to the MS-8 is if your OEM HU doesn't send a full-range signal and the MS-8 needs to sum the signal.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #292
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Would there be any benefit in getting the JBL device and using it with the stock non-logic7 speakers?
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #293
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
It doesn't matter what HU you use. The MS-8 only needs one set of inputs. The ONLY time you send more than that to the MS-8 is if your OEM HU doesn't send a full-range signal and the MS-8 needs to sum the signal.

I am a novice and I know this is a dumb question, but this INSTALLED picture for Crutchfield shows 2 set (four) RCA cables. Are these all inputs?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #294
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
I am a novice and I know this is a dumb question, but this INSTALLED picture for Crutchfield shows 2 set (four) RCA cables. Are these all inputs?
No, there are NO RCA inputs used in that install. The inputs are through the speaker-level harness.
      05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #295
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital01 View Post
Would there be any benefit in getting the JBL device and using it with the stock non-logic7 speakers?
Assuming you have the HiFi system, the answer is yes. You can use the MS-8 to run the whole system, and it'll [reportedly] be a huge improvement.
      05-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #296
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
No, there are NO RCA inputs used in that install. The inputs are through the speaker-level harness.
OK got it, so only the front line outs...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #297
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

11 days without a post, I have to revive this thread !

Here is my setup

HiFi audio
Technics harness
MS-8 (input is 1 RCA from Technics harness)
PDX-5
CH 1-2 : PDX-amped Rainbows 4" components in front doors
CH 3-4 : PDX-amped SWS-8s under seat
CH 5-6 : MS-8 amped rear HiFi speakers
CH 7 : MS-8 amped Rainbow 4" coaxial center

I'm trying to figure out how to configure my MS-8...

I understand I should skip the "input"

For the calibration, should I set my MS-8 at -40dB, and the amps at minimum gain or 2V or nominal ?

After that only, I should raise the MS-8 volume to -10dB and get the amps at minimum gain (maybe a bit more for the SWS-8 channels...) ???

About the setup, I should tell the MS-8 that I have no sub, that my fronts are 2-ways, rear 1-way, center 1-way ?

And what about the amp crossovers ? Do I really need to active them, since the MS-8 is already doing the job ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #298
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
11 days without a post, I have to revive this thread !

Here is my setup

HiFi audio
Technics harness
MS-8 (input is 1 RCA from Technics harness)
PDX-5
CH 1-2 : PDX-amped Rainbows 4" components in front doors
CH 3-4 : PDX-amped SWS-8s under seat
CH 5-6 : MS-8 amped rear HiFi speakers
CH 7 : MS-8 amped Rainbow 4" coaxial center

I'm trying to figure out how to configure my MS-8...
Quote:
I understand I should skip the "input"
Yes

Quote:
For the calibration, should I set my MS-8 at -40dB, and the amps at minimum gain or 2V or nominal ?
Set the gains at 2V. (make sure the subs cannot be felt during the sweeps, just heard! If you can feel them, turn it down even more.)

Quote:
After that only, I should raise the MS-8 volume to -10dB
Yes, or you can go to -6dB.

Quote:
and get the amps at minimum gain (maybe a bit more for the SWS-8 channels...) ???
Do not change the amp gains after calibration unless you have to.

Quote:
About the setup, I should tell the MS-8 that I have no sub, that my fronts are 2-ways, rear 1-way, center 1-way ?
Yes.

Quote:
And what about the amp crossovers ? Do I really need to active them, since the MS-8 is already doing the job ?
Defeat the amp crossovers.
      05-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #299
neusaab
Private
Rep

Do I need to turn off Logic 7 to calibrate the MS-8?

I have an 07 335. The MS-8, amp for the underseats, and SSMB8's are wired and ready to go. I'm about to bite the bullet and calibrate the MS-8. I'll be reading and rereading the MS-8 manual before going for it. I just refreshed my memory by skimming through this monster thread.

Final question remains: do I need to defeat Logic 7 before calibrating? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #300
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
Technic, are you still selling the harness?
The Logic7 harness will be back in stock next Tuesday...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #301
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by neusaab View Post
I have an 07 335. The MS-8, amp for the underseats, and SSMB8's are wired and ready to go. I'm about to bite the bullet and calibrate the MS-8. I'll be reading and rereading the MS-8 manual before going for it. I just refreshed my memory by skimming through this monster thread.

Final question remains: do I need to defeat Logic 7 before calibrating? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks.
You need to set all your OEM HU/iDrive sound adjustments -including the Logic7 settings- to OFF before calibration. Your MS-8 will take over all sound adjustments from there...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #302
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You need to set all your OEM HU/iDrive sound adjustments -including the Logic7 settings- to OFF before calibration. Your MS-8 will take over all sound adjustments from there...
Technic, I would like to buy a harness to install a JL 600/6 in a hifi e90. Can we still get these from you? How do I go about it? Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #303
neusaab
Private
Rep

Volume setting for MS-8 input setup?

Um, just wanted to push this thread well beyond 300 posts . . .

Well, reading the other 302, I'm confused on one point: what is this 48-50 click setting that's spoken of? Is that the optimal volume setting for running the calibration CD? Is it 48 of xx clockwise clicks on the HU volume dial?

The MS-8 instructions only refer to setting volume via instructions on the MS-8 display (adjust if too low or high). I'm about to do this, if I can finally figure out how to turn off Logic 7.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #304
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

48-52 clicks is approximately where the level reading will be"ok" on the ms-8. Just so you have an idea. You can see the actual volume level if you go into the OEM HU menu by holding "m" for 10 seconds after turning it on
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #305
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Alright thanks kaigoss

I did setup my MS-8 as you said, but found out I need to major the gain on the amp a bit more than "2V"... I tried nomimal (around 0.75V on the PDX-5), 2V, then nearly max... At -40dB for the setup it worked good. Sounded really good at -8dB after the setup.

Problem is :

I'm have a POPPING problem !?! It starts sometimes, not always, after 5-10 minutes driving the car... I hear a HISSING noise from the front left speaker (and maybe the right one ?) that disappears when I mute the MS-8, but that stays on if I only reduce the volume on the HU. When I change the volume with the MS-8, I hear "POP" for every increment...
If I shut down the engine, and restart, the problem goes away...

I checked all my connections, and Technics' harness remote is plugged correctly in remote in of the MS-8, and remote out is powering my amp, as stated on this thread...

What's wrong with my MS-8 ??? Or is it my setup ?

EDIT : no popping when the car starts or stops... only sometimes, when I try to change the volume of the MS-8 AND that I hear that strange hissing noise from the front left speaker...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #306
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Everytime I've gotten a pop from a component it's been a grounding issue or if the MS-8 is powering any speakers you might have a bad speaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #307
neusaab
Private
Rep

Struggling with setup, please help

I must be screwing something up. Probably a fundamental error, but I'm stuck. I've set up my 335xi/Logic 7 with all stock speakers except for Kicker SSMB8 underseats as per kaigoss's instructions:

- Use FL, FR, and both underseat woofer outputs from the L7 amp. Use input 1 & 2 on the MS-8 for FL & FR, and input 7 & 8 (important!) for the sub channels.
- Run set-up procedure on MS-8 per instructions. For me, head unit volume needed to be at 49-50 clicks for the MS-8 to accept it. Check out this thread if you don't know how to do that: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...volume+friggin
- Channel mapping as follows: ch1 = FL Hi, ch2 = FR Hi, ch3 = FL Lo, ch4 = FR Lo, ch5 = ctr, ch6 = SL (side left), ch7 = SL (side left). Even if you are using only the rear shelf speakers, and not the rear doors, still call the "sides".
- During x-over set-up, tell it you have 2-way front, and all other speakers are "1-way". For the fronts, select the "high-pass" (which is actually a subsonic filter for the underseat woofers - a bit confusing) - I set mine at 35Hz. X-over between woofers and door mids I set at 150Hz for now. High-pass for the center and rear speakers 150Hz as well for now.
- During acoustic calibration, leave MS-8 volume at -20 dB. [edit: it works much better at -35dB]
- When calibration is done, unplug the mic from the unit (there have been some issues when the mic was left plugged in).

Channels 3 and 4 for the underseats are externally amped with a cheap old Jenson 2 channel that seems to be working fine. I set the gain to minimum during setup.

I may have misunderstood the signal input instructions from the MS-8 manual, as I fed 7 channels with OEM amp out signal (paralleling the rear doors and deck into channels 6 and 7). But then I switched to inputs as above. I.e., I'm using input chs. 1 and 2 for front doors left and right, and channels 7 and 8 for underseats left and right, and no other inputs.

Do I understand this correctly, using just 4 input channels on the MS-8?

With this last configuration, I get a message about missing channels or something. With this, and all prior configurations, I'm not getting sound from the underseats, either during signal output confirmation or when setup is finished. It's as if the system is ignoring my external amp. I'm using RCA's for channels 3 and 4 into the external amp, whose amperage measures 11.something on my voltmeter.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's wrong? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #308
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neusaab View Post
I must be screwing something up. Probably a fundamental error, but I'm stuck. I've set up my 335xi/Logic 7 with all stock speakers except for Kicker SSMB8 underseats as per kaigoss's instructions:

- Use FL, FR, and both underseat woofer outputs from the L7 amp. Use input 1 & 2 on the MS-8 for FL & FR, and input 7 & 8 (important!) for the sub channels.
- Run set-up procedure on MS-8 per instructions. For me, head unit volume needed to be at 49-50 clicks for the MS-8 to accept it. Check out this thread if you don't know how to do that: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...volume+friggin
- Channel mapping as follows: ch1 = FL Hi, ch2 = FR Hi, ch3 = FL Lo, ch4 = FR Lo, ch5 = ctr, ch6 = SL (side left), ch7 = SL (side left). Even if you are using only the rear shelf speakers, and not the rear doors, still call the "sides".
- During x-over set-up, tell it you have 2-way front, and all other speakers are "1-way". For the fronts, select the "high-pass" (which is actually a subsonic filter for the underseat woofers - a bit confusing) - I set mine at 35Hz. X-over between woofers and door mids I set at 150Hz for now. High-pass for the center and rear speakers 150Hz as well for now.
- During acoustic calibration, leave MS-8 volume at -20 dB. [edit: it works much better at -35dB]
- When calibration is done, unplug the mic from the unit (there have been some issues when the mic was left plugged in).

Channels 3 and 4 for the underseats are externally amped with a cheap old Jenson 2 channel that seems to be working fine. I set the gain to minimum during setup.

I may have misunderstood the signal input instructions from the MS-8 manual, as I fed 7 channels with OEM amp out signal (paralleling the rear doors and deck into channels 6 and 7). But then I switched to inputs as above. I.e., I'm using input chs. 1 and 2 for front doors left and right, and channels 7 and 8 for underseats left and right, and no other inputs.

Do I understand this correctly, using just 4 input channels on the MS-8?

With this last configuration, I get a message about missing channels or something. With this, and all prior configurations, I'm not getting sound from the underseats, either during signal output confirmation or when setup is finished. It's as if the system is ignoring my external amp. I'm using RCA's for channels 3 and 4 into the external amp, whose amperage measures 11.something on my voltmeter.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's wrong? Many thanks.
What exactly is the message you are getting? Your inouts are configured correctly. As for the outputs...this is embarrassing to admit but when I first installed the MS-8 I hooked up the RCAs for the external amp for channels 3 and 4 to the inputs instead of the outputs. So make sure the RCAs are connected to the output RCAs!!!