E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > CPO vehicle Carfax

02-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

CPO vehicle Carfax

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've been browsing some 2015 CPO's with a few thousand miles on the clock. I can't help but notice how many of them there are and most of them show as up 1-owner leases.

Are these really lease vehicles that were turned in early, or could it have been a loaner car? For example,

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...BFAFL0FN030476

I did notice that one vehicle did actually say "Rental" as its first owner. Accident reported 2 weeks after sale, lol!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...TD_W#undefined
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I've been browsing some 2015 CPO's with a few thousand miles on the clock. I can't help but notice how many of them there are and most of them show as up 1-owner leases.

Are these really lease vehicles that were turned in early, or could it have been a loaner car? For example,

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...BFAFL0FN030476

I did notice that one vehicle did actually say "Rental" as its first owner. Accident reported 2 weeks after sale, lol!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...TD_W#undefined
I never put that much into what carfax says... go to any used car dealership almost every car there has a sticker that claims "clean carfax 1 owner" "clean carfax lease return"...
      02-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I never put that much into what carfax says... go to any used car dealership almost every car there has a sticker that claims "clean carfax 1 owner" "clean carfax lease return"...
But, if it was a loaner car would that have to be disclosed during sale? Or would it come up on a Carfax? I would buy an off lease or 1 owner vehicle, but a loaner is another story.

I don't put too much into Carfax, but from the two examples above it does help you weed out some of the cars you should RUN from. The second car had 3 owners, an accident 2 weeks after delivery, and open recalls! Omg...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
But, if it was a loaner car would that have to be disclosed during sale? Or would it come up on a Carfax? I would buy an off lease or 1 owner vehicle, but a loaner is another story.

I don't put too much into Carfax, but from the two examples above it does help you weed out some of the cars you should RUN from. The second car had 3 owners, an accident 2 weeks after delivery, and open recalls! Omg...
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just trying to tell you that you are putting too much trust into what carfax, which after all is a business, says. Use it as a reference I guess but other than that things like "clean carfax" "one car owner" "lease return" are all marketing tittles...think about it isn't that exactly what you would want to hear.... it will be hard to sell a car that said "7 owners but mint condition"
      02-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just FYI, the OMG was for the crappy used car not what you said. I agree it is more of a marketing tool than a resource for the consumer.

Just really wondering whether a loaner car has to be disclosed as such to the customer... or if there would be a way to spot it on a carfax since most CPO's will have one. (For example, the one carfax calls the car a "Rental", instead of a lease or purchase.)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI, the OMG was for the crappy used car not what you said. I agree it is more of a marketing tool than a resource for the consumer.

Just really wondering whether a loaner car has to be disclosed as such to the customer... or if there would be a way to spot it on a carfax since most CPO's will have one. (For example, the one carfax calls the car a "Rental", instead of a lease or purchase.)
+1 it would be great to know for a fact whether is a lease return or a rental/loaner
      02-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just trying to tell you that you are putting too much trust into what carfax, which after all is a business, says. Use it as a reference I guess but other than that things like "clean carfax" "one car owner" "lease return" are all marketing tittles...think about it isn't that exactly what you would want to hear.... it will be hard to sell a car that said "7 owners but mint condition"
dude, what r u talking about. if the car has 1 owner, than Carfax will confirm that. if a car has 7 owners, u can't say it's 1 owner b/c Carfax will confirm that car has 7 owners.
      02-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
meehowhow
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e90 Msport

Quote:

You can spot a loaner when the title was never issued. At least that's what I noticed from my experience

2014 VW Golf TDI
2011 BMW 335i e90 - Sold
1990 BMW 535i e34 - Sold
2008 BMW 335i e92 - Sold
Appreciate 2