E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 in a factory DME stand alone configuration

11-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 and S54 Z3M

N54 in a factory DME stand alone configuration

I'm bouncing around a project now that my V8 IS300 sportcross is sold. I *REALLY* like my N54 engine in the 335i... So I'm thinking 'why not?'

If I were wanting the N54 to run in a 'stand alone' mode using the factory DME. What would it take electronically? DME, throttle pedal, related fuel items (HPFP and LPFP)?

I assume EWS or immobilizer disable **Edit, looks like it's called a CAS now** or at least transfer the key/antenna to the new chassis. The largest issue there would be getting the BUS to talk without all the missing components. I know there are some bus pass through blocks for after-market stereos, I'd assume the right combo of rigging there would get it to work. Of course, ideally, I'd like to turn off the EWS and leave the canbus out of the equation. Though, now that I think of it. The DME didn't have a fiber wire connected to it when I installed the Procede in my car. If canbus/EWS was attached, it was copper.

I've done several 'technically complicated' swaps in the past. I've been called crazy for going about things the hard way more times than I can count. My fabrication skills are up to this project. In fact, the fabrication part will be easy. I know it will be the complex computer systems that will be the main challenge. Especially with BMW being pretty tight with their information. Although, BMW planet does seem to have a pretty solid copy of the WDS online which will get me started on the project map quite nicely.

I would buy a totaled car from a salvage auction to start this project. Ideally, one that the rear was smashed, but the front was in tact. 4-6k gets a badly wrecked car. That way, I could avoid the nickel & dime stuff that usually kills a project.

I've not turned up much with the N54 in other applications with my google searches. (likely for good reason) Does anyone know of a swap project that's ongoing/etc? How about a tuner who has hacked the DME enough to turn a bunch of stuff off? I have used the search feature, so if I'm overlooking something that's been posted 2.2 million times, please kindly point me toward the correct search terms.

Last edited by brad bedell; 11-06-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
adictedtopoker
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Check the other forum. Undercover is working on a stand alone, ProEFI.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

To have a N54 engine in a non BMW chassis will take some effort but can be done. I'm actually working on a wrecked N54 (Not mine) for racing purposes.
There are some challenges like the EWS (Electronic steering lock) and the keys.
Also you have get rid of all the not longer applicable options from your VO.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 and S54 Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
To have a N54 engine in a non BMW chassis will take some effort but can be done. I'm actually working on a wrecked N54 (Not mine) for racing purposes.
There are some challenges like the EWS (Electronic steering lock) and the keys.
Also you have get rid of all the not longer applicable options from your VO.
It will be a BMW chassis *if* I do it. I really don't want to do an LS1 as that seems like the 'easy' cop-out solution.

I don't expect the keys aren't that big of a deal. (unless I'm incorrect in thinking that I need to move the related module and key antenna over to the new vehicle). Deleting the keys (for a race car) would be an entirely different project. Did you delete the keys? If so, who handled stripping the code out of the DME?

I've successfully wired in Key/transponder systems in Japanese cars, have successfully installed a GS400 engine in an IS300 chassis and daily driven it for 6 years while being OBD II compliant. I also did a great deal of the pioneer work toward V6 MR2 swaps back in the day. For those curious, I have some photo journals of older projects on my bedellracing.com site.

Good point on the VO; I hadn't thought about it. I'd probably be better off trying to code it out most of the options before I disassembled the donor car.

I'll look at the proefi solution. I'd rather a modified DME, but I also know that it could be easier to start over than reverse engineer what BMW did.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
xceedperformance
Rep
Drives: BMW Motorsports

So what ever happened?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If by copping out you mean a better motor with more potential that's lighter and gets better gas mileage, then yeah that's an LSx for you

You toyota **** are so butt hurt the LS1 dethroned the 2JZ as God's motor....its funny