E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2008 E93 335i Audio Build

01-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Silver

2008 E93 335i Audio Build

I know I'm new here... but I'm not new to car audio, only to the world of Bimmer. Happy to be hear and I hope to be able to contribute and help others here.

I recently picked up a 2008 E93 335i, and absolutely love it. Even the Logic 7 system was good quality for a factory set up, probably the best I've heard this side of aftermarket systems. With only 3 weeks of Bimmer ownership I have planned a build and started tearing into the car...

I'm cross posting from DIYMA.com... hope that doesn't bother anyone. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Well, after some careful consideration and discussions with my better half I have come up with a good system plan and am ready to start digging in. Initially the goal was to increase the SQ marginally and continue to have great staging by utilizing the stock speaker locations and a MS8 with upgraded speakers. As time went on in the last few weeks, I considered this more and more of a compromise to satisfy my wife (keep it all stock) and have a better quality experience with my audio. However, it was a compromise on my new found love of Horns and Pro Audio, and this was something that continually nagged me.

After some discussions with a few key people on this board (you know who you are and thank you!), I knew that I couldn’t turn my back on HLCD’s now and go back to conventional drivers. I would be unsatisfied with the results, want to tear it all out and start all over again. I decided to move forward but to be mindful of opportunities to keep a stock looking appearance. This is normally difficult as the need for larger higher efficiency drivers requires larger drivers in general. I don’t think my wife would go for 10’s in the kickpanels, so this install and my wife’s restrictions have put some extreme challenges to overcome.

The following is the start of a plan that I think will make both parties happy, and have some awesome tunes with the top down.

System Goals:
-Stock Appearance
-Minimal to no cutting of interior
-Clarity at high volumes, decent SQ all around and great staging
-Maintain all useable space in the trunk

Source: Stock IDrive HU with Nav, Bluetooth, CD,IPOD, etc…

Preamp: MoBridge DA1000 (converts BMW’s MOST signal into an optical digital output)

Processor: Alpine H700 Combo (comes with the RUX Controller)

Amps: 2 Vibe Audio Litebox 4 / 2 Vibe Audio Litebox 1

Highs: B&C DE500 Compression Drivers mated to ID Mini Bodies

Mids: ID XS65

Midbass: ID XS65 (3 per side)

Subs: 2 Stereo Integrity BM MKIII

As you can see, the above plan presents a tough challenge in and of itself. How do you fit so much in such a small car?

I did some digging around today in the car, and started tearing it apart to give me an idea of where everything is going to go.

It took me about 20 minutes to get to the battery, and all the panels you see in the trunk are necessary to remove in order to get to it

Likewise, another 20 minutes later on the other side and we see what we have for the stock amp location:

With the amp removed:

Looks like I’ll be able to get all my amps in here under the stock panels

There is no spare tire in these cars… they make us put on runflats… that will be changing later down the line when I put on some rims… Under the main floor this is the limited space I have to work with

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I’ll be using the skipass for the subs… sealing it off so there is no rattling in the trunk but everything will be firing straight through to the cabin. What I build here needs to be removable for our trips to the mountains for snowboarding

Stock skipass with the door:

After removal of the plastics:

And a shoddy mock up:

I took the back door of the skipass off, this way it doesn’t get in the way when I build my box and secure it with the stock locations:

Having the top down provides another level of difficulty in building the box:

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Horn location up front being impeded by the main ECU:

Possible location for the midrange: (right front kick panel, venting to the outside)

Location for the midbasses: 3 per door

The RUX controller will get a special home in the armrest:

While I didn’t start “building” anything today, I feel like I got a lot accomplished. This prerequisite exploring will give me the ability to plan out this project effectively and in a timely manner. Stay posted for updates and a detailed build log!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Niiiiccceeee!!

Thanks for posting. I have a 2007 E93 and almost EXACTLY the same goals as you in a buildout. Unfortunately, the difficulty of the task and lack of aftermarket choices for a head unit has discouraged me. Maybe you will give me some ideas. Looking forward to the rest of your buildout!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I see an Ipod cable. If you use a USB stick you will be remaining digital all the way to the H700, while if you use an iPod (unless you update your iDrive HW) you will be using the analog AUX input, which can be problematic.

Looks like your plan has changed since we last corresponded
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
slade1274
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Nice looking sub choice
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Thanks for posting. I have a 2007 E93 and almost EXACTLY the same goals as you in a buildout. Unfortunately, the difficulty of the task and lack of aftermarket choices for a head unit has discouraged me. Maybe you will give me some ideas. Looking forward to the rest of your buildout!!
i wouldn't consider an aftermarket HU... keeping the stock look was an absolute necessity for me, and in my book, tons simpler too.. you have a couple of options like the MS8, MoBridge DA1000 with the H701, (new Alpine H800), Bitone, or DSP6, or use the Motus Lab piece... so you have quite a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I see an Ipod cable. If you use a USB stick you will be remaining digital all the way to the H700, while if you use an iPod (unless you update your iDrive HW) you will be using the analog AUX input, which can be problematic.

Looks like your plan has changed since we last corresponded
Thanks Ken, I've been using the ipod mainly out of convenience but will be throwing in a USB soon. What file type does it need to be in? (can it be in FLAC?)

As far as changed plans, the more I thought about the compromise, the more I realized I would be changing everything out in a few months anyway, so I decided to go one step further and stay satisfied with horns. Thanks for your assistance though, especially while you were so busy. (P.S. the S8 looked fantastic!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
Nice looking sub choice
yeah, i hope they fit the bill
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

man, work has been busy busy lately so no time to dig in until today.

today, this was a day of destruction for the bimmer. i can now say with complete consideration that I hate working on bimmers. everything is well engineered, but the process is so much different than the "regular" cars I've worked on. more screws and less clips, and in some area, more clips and more screws... anyway, on to the progress.

so, for my midranges I have given some consideration to cutting the metal and venting into exterior. I have decided against doing so as structural integrity and resale value would be in question. so, I will be doing semi axis kick panels, and here's an idea of what I'm working with

So let the destruction begin...

I'll be getting to the center console soon, addressing some rattles and routing the controller wiring for the h701, but today I wanted to get a start on the horns and the doors.

Got the doors off and put them in the room so I could address them when it got dark...

started on the driver side horn, which i was under the impression that it was quite easy. on the contrary, after cutting the underdash i had a tough time finding decent mounting locations that would fully support the horn

i'm going to need to find a new place for whatever this is... I think it's an antenna of some sort but find it odd that they have it down in the drivers footwell

this is how far back i can go before i hit the brake pedal lever

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

and a quick shot of mounting options

at about this time it started to get dark and i turned my attention to the door panels... first task is getting the foldout pocket out of the door... OMG.. this was a huge pain in the ass

top of the door pocket comes off and reveals a plastic bin

this bin is secured in the back with two "stops" and the hinges below

after about 45 minutes of tooling around with a screw driver it dawned on me that I should just drill out the pins... worked a charm

with the bin out and just the door card now

I was able to line up the door pod and mark the mounting locations... i need to do some cutting tomorrow to allow the baskets full depth, and there is a bit of door that needs to go to, but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with here. I was a little unsure of this solution, but the fit and finish of these panels are actually quite good

that's it for now, more to come tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

okay, so long day today with what i would consider small but significant progress. i'm not sure why my camera decided to take only blurry pictures today so i apologize in advance.

pictures are of both doors, which is what i finished here

first started by cutting the back out of the door so the speakers can vent into the door

sanded the edges smooth (cosmetics isn't really important but i wanted the deadener to adhere properly)

affixing the door panel to the door card, a multitude of bolts and nuts

on the drivers side, there was a screw that protruded through the door and potentially into the window control switch box, so i dremeled that off

i found that the inner diameter of the door panel pod was too small for the ID mids, so i sanded the insides down a smidgen to get the right clearance

and then added a strip of silicone to seal the midbasses

after the silicone dried i turned my attention to deadening the door card. i don't anticipate a lot of rattles to begin with, but who knows... so i took care of the parts of the door that i thought to be problematic

then with the mids installed

and with the grill in place

while it doesn't seem like much, it took me quite a bit of time today to do both doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Holy crap! 3 XS 6's!!! AWESOME!!!!! Damn it, you are gonna make me start working on my M3.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/

Last edited by TMR; 02-06-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

^ well, these are the mini lenses but I'm running B&C DE500 compression drivers...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
slade1274
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjman View Post

Looks like a Breitling.... even though they feel sturdy enough to pound nails with it, I'd take that off when working on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Sweet build!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
Looks like a Breitling.... even though they feel sturdy enough to pound nails with it, I'd take that off when working on the car
funny you mention that because it wasn't long after i took that picture that watch and my ring came off
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Matt at ID has an extra set of door panels he is building me a 5x7 ported in the doorpanel. I have the neo driver for the mini horns also. I am going to finish it off with my IDQ 15's freeair. Let me know how the alpine unit handles the DA duties. I went with the motuslab but have had issues with it. I found an AWESOME DA that we can use in conjunction with the mObridge unit. Im really curious how you will mount your horns. Take EXTRA detailed pics ;-)
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Matt at ID has an extra set of door panels he is building me a 5x7 ported in the doorpanel. I have the neo driver for the mini horns also. I am going to finish it off with my IDQ 15's freeair. Let me know how the alpine unit handles the DA duties. I went with the motuslab but have had issues with it. I found an AWESOME DA that we can use in conjunction with the mObridge unit. Im really curious how you will mount your horns. Take EXTRA detailed pics ;-)
i'll definitely take pics of the horn install, and it has me puzzled for now to be honest.

what is this other processor you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

quick post today...

i was puzzled on how i'll be running the wires into the doors... on the driver side today this is what we see

even though i have the battery unplugged I was somewhat intimidated on plugging anything that looks like the ECU... (it's a bimmer right??!!) but alas, the only way I could see getting anything in the doors was through the underside of the ecu...there are two plastic nuts, one on top and one on the bottom that need to be removed, and then you unplug three harnesses and it comes off

this is what we see next

pull the foam plug out and ...

walllah... access to the molex plug

the rubber boot pulls out of the door...

but the boot is bolted to the chassis with a 8mm nut

and what do you know... i don't have a stinkin' wrench that will get into that crevice..

off to Home Depot (it never ceases to amaze me how many different tools i need for a given install... )
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

When I ran my new wires, I did NOT unplug that module - I just unbolted it and poked the wire thru and put it back on. Probably too late now

I used liquid hand soap to get the wire through and then wiped it off as I pulled it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

oh dang.... did unplugging it do anything problematic? i figured with the battery unplugged and all it shouldn't be a big deal, right? now you got me worried...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I doubt it would be a deal. I just didn't ahve to take it all the way out...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #22
wholloway2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 M40i

Amazing!! cant wait to see whats next. This is better than Lost!
Appreciate 0