E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 325, Pull to Left

12-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
ssrai84
Rep
Drives: 2006 e92 325 coupe

E92 325, Pull to Left

Hi everyone. New to the forum, read through some posts with great interest- some great, useful tips gleaned, so thanks already

Bougt my 325 ci a week ago; its a high miler, 56 plate with 50k on it, but a one owner, serviced car. Love it to bits, so sleek after my Volvo! its had its discs and pads changed about 300 miles ago.

A couple of questions. Noticed on braking today it pulled to the left a couple of times today; couldn't be sure if it was the camber of the rd I was on perhaps, but it did do it a couple of times. Weirdly didnt do it this evening, but the car does feel a little weird on rds which are other than completely flat. Could this be normal with runflats? My 1 st experience of them, so not sure, thought best to ask yr advice.Will check my tyre pressures in the am (new tyres), and also check my tracking

The other thing is its poke; I know I've just come from a diesel, bt it really doesn't seem to shift till about 6000revs. I know its torque is relatively low at 184 (my volvo was chipped at 320), but even so when acelarating theres a definite palpable step in its accelaration

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sandy
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
What size alloys and tyres. Could be tyres tramlining abit, could be wear on tyres showing as 'pulling', or the disks / pads need replaced.

The thing is pull when braking can be many things and best to try different roads at different speeds and see if the 'pull' is the same.

You could try switching front whels across to see if that helps. Def check the disk and pads though, even put you finger through the spokes and see if there a wee or big lip on the disk... BIG lip = change of disks!

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
the_oracle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

First thing lots of new bmw drivers notice especially coming from another make, is how sensitive the steering can be and how bmw's follow the road, they tend to tramline because of the bigger wheels, and when you hit a bump, you know about it, cause of the harder suspension compared to other cars. As six degrees says try a road that cambers to the right, and it will follow the road to the right im sure!.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
ssrai84
Rep

will do just that. much appreciated.Will post an update mane
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hello and welcome btw.

What size wheels are you running? You've already stated that you're on runflats. Were the tyres cold when it did this pulling this morning (yeah I know, this weather they will be), and was the road you were on heavily cambered? Did this occur under normal breaking?

I think Oracle has a point in that BMW steering is precise and you do get alot of feedback through the steering wheel tbh. I noticed this coming from a S60 T5 Volvo funningly enough to a BMW. I got a 330i M sport on 19" wheels and it tramlined quite a bit but I did learn to 'relax' about it ie. just let the steering do its thing to no detriment to my direction of travel.

As for your engine. Hmmm the 330i needed to be revved to get the best out of it but not at 6000 rpm, although it's bhp is greater than that of the 325i. There are a couple of guys on here I can think of with 325i's, so hopefully they'll be along soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrai84 View Post
Hi everyone. New to the forum, read through some posts with great interest- some great, useful tips gleaned, so thanks already

Bougt my 325 ci a week ago; its a high miler, 56 plate with 50k on it, but a one owner, serviced car. Love it to bits, so sleek after my Volvo! its had its discs and pads changed about 300 miles ago.

A couple of questions. Noticed on braking today it pulled to the left a couple of times today; couldn't be sure if it was the camber of the rd I was on perhaps, but it did do it a couple of times. Weirdly didnt do it this evening, but the car does feel a little weird on rds which are other than completely flat. Could this be normal with runflats? My 1 st experience of them, so not sure, thought best to ask yr advice.Will check my tyre pressures in the am (new tyres), and also check my tracking

The other thing is its poke; I know I've just come from a diesel, bt it really doesn't seem to shift till about 6000revs. I know its torque is relatively low at 184 (my volvo was chipped at 320), but even so when acelarating theres a definite palpable step in its accelaration

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sandy
Hi and welcome

My 325i follows the road around quite a lot. Most of my cars have had wide low profile tyres so am pretty used to it by now. What is the wear of the tyres like? I had an Audi A4 quattro before and when the tyres got below about 3-4mm the car got quite 'skittish' on the road. With new tyres fitted it was a different car. The runflats, also have very little sidewall give (read that as NONE!! ) and do follow the road an awful lot.

Best thing is to get it on a flat open car park with no one around and do some hard straight line braking, see if it is Ok then - if it is I would just put it down to uneven or cambered road surfaces.

As for the engine power, mine is the 3.0 litre version of the 325i - I guess yours is the 2.5? It does need revving more than a diesel but mine pulls strongly from about 4,000 revs. It is at it's peak up at the 6,000 mark but I don't find I need to drive like that to make it shift around 'briskly'

Maybe worht checking with your local dealer there are no re-calls due on the car. Mine has had fuel pump issues, new injectors and a couple of ecu re-programs to cure poor running. Worth a try?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
ssrai84
Rep

Thank you.
I did exactly that- quiet car park, and gave it a good poke with the brakes; couldn't recreate the problem again, on the flat at least, so as you've suggested, most likely the run flat tyres. Now I'm aware, they do like to follow the camber of the road alot. The car I just got rid of (volvo s60) had 235s on 18inch BBS alloys, but didn't tramline quite as much. My 325 has the 18 inch alloys; it had had new tyres, new discs and pads all around prior to purchase(definitely a tick in the plus column when deciding to buy it!) .
My ignorance re: run flats was at blame here I think!

With regards the performance, I think I will try the dealer and see if it needs any upgrades ; filled it up a couple of days ago, with super, and defo a bit pokier. I think part of the prob is that the damn thing is so smooth , that it just doesn't feel that fast, although when I like down at the speedo, it is shifting! Again, something I'll have to get used to, after the "drama and theatre" of my noisy S60 diesel!

Thanks everyone for helping me

Sandy
Appreciate 0