E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things I wish to see changed in the Next Gen 3 series

10-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #67
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Overhead Sunglass Holder!
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #68
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcumac View Post
x2. Has anyone found a DIY fix for this?
I recently pulled my center console trim up and am running the cable down through the rubber piece in the console through the ventwork and drilled a small hole in the whatever holder thing the non idrive cars have that the cable comes back up through. It looks fine because the rubbery part swallows up the extra part of the hole. I can't explain well but could take pictures of both ends where I have it coming out if that would help. It keeps me from getting shorts pretty damn well.
      10-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #69
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
The E92 is pretty good

Suggestions:
* HPFP that works until EOL of car.
* No rattles. Why is that such a hard thing to nail down?
* Either,
** Do not overengineer (i.e. get rid of IDrive and electronic turn signals, etc)
or
** Overengineer intelligently, allow full customization of car by the user through its electronics.
* Put the car on a diet. It's a 2-door coupe for Pete's sake, it should not weigh nearly 4000 lbs.
* Add A2DP (BT stereo) to the audio system.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #70
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
Why are you turning your fog lights on every time you get into the car? Just to annoy oncoming traffic? Or do you live in a permanent fog?
+1 - I fail to see why people drive with their fog lights when there is no fog. It looks retarded, not cool.

Also
- no HPFP failure
- 500lb weight loss
- watch the price point. The e93 335i's can touch $60k easy.
- HUD option
- non-RFT option

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon

Last edited by am_ver; 10-07-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #71
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
4. Windows/sunroof close on a button press on the remote.
Is this only available with comfort access? I have CA and if you hold the lock/unlock button it rolls up/down all windows/sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Yea, I find that my BMW is the most ergonomically correct and intuitive car I've driven. Try driving a Merc S-Class, where you have to take almost your entire hand off the steering wheel to reach the turn signal controls, or the Infiniti G37, where you have to lean completely out of your seat in order to reach and operate the navigation controls, or any modern Lexus, where you must come to a complete stop before you can use any of the navigation controls.

And people say BMW's are poorly designed...
I tend to agree. Nearly everything you need is adjustable without taking your hands off the wheel. Many of these things you are not able to see, however after driving the car for a short time it becomes intuitive.

After driving a base model loaner 328 I agree that BMW should offer more options on a base model car that costs over 30k. The base seats are horrible, a Hyundai has better seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #72
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Is this only available with comfort access? I have CA and if you hold the lock/unlock button it rolls up/down all windows/sunroof.

I tend to agree. Nearly everything you need is adjustable without taking your hands off the wheel. Many of these things you are not able to see, however after driving the car for a short time it becomes intuitive.

After driving a base model loaner 328 I agree that BMW should offer more options on a base model car that costs over 30k. The base seats are horrible, a Hyundai has better seats.
Huh, I didn't think you could roll UP windows even with CA (via fob, you can by holding handle). Non CA can roll down fine.

I love the non taking your hands off the wheel controls.

As for the 328i comment, they do offer more options, with options being the key word. If they could make some more things standard without raising the price I'm all for it, but I don't want them to bump the base price by whatever some options would cost and then not offer the car sans those options. Maybe they could pull an Audi and offer "Trim levels." Kind of an in between step though that makes it so you can't get everything you want without extra crap. Anywho, just a thought.
      10-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #73
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
If they could make some more things standard without raising the price I'm all for it, but I don't want them to bump the base price by whatever some options would cost and then not offer the car sans those options. Maybe they could pull an Audi and offer "Trim levels." Kind of an in between step though that makes it so you can't get everything you want without extra crap. Anywho, just a thought.
Exactly. I would much rather be able to choose each of my options than be forced to pay for a bundle of options, many of which I would not otherwise choose. I find that BMW offers the most freedom in his regard, and it's something that sticks out whenever I try to configure other cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #74
GME92
BMW Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport DHP

VENTILATED seats!! OMG...this car seriously needs it, especially for the So Cal Summer heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #75
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

If you want BMW to move someone better puts this a quantifiable format. I get already annoyed at the closed cabin recirculation light remaning green while it is closed - how hard is this?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #76
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

No Rattles
No clicking from Wiper relay
No random sucking noise from inlet
Better standard stereo
Standard idrive
Standard Bluetooth
No random fan system testing noise randomly during drive (that really pissed me off)

Can you tell a lot of what annoys me about my beloved car is
the bloody noises it makes.

Lowest wheel arch to bonnet top distance possible.
Shortes overhangs possible.
Powered boot/trunk close
Be able to open boot/trunk on remote with car still locket (some markets..., what?)
Wifi-ipod sync to in-range computer (why has this not been invented yet)
More power, less fuel, less C02
Real beauty because whilst E92 is exquisite e90 is a bit of a turd on the quiet.
To be out sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #77
e34guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I agree on #2! its so annoying!
|Trim: Dark Burl Walnut Premium|Sports|Navi|HD Radio|Logic 7|iPod
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #78
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

You guys do realize that if you hold the unlock button on the fob then the windows roll down.... and if you then hold it again they roll back up
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #79
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
Every model, Coupe, sedan, Cabriolet and estate needs to loose 300LBS.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with you here. Less weight = smaller car, fewer safety features and lower high speed stability. 3600 lbs may sound like a lot compared to older 3 series cars, but improvements in suspension, steering and body rigidity have negated the weight gain.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #80
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Offer cloth seats as a base instead of vinyl. Leather seats should be ventilated. Basically- an option to not get sweaty legs & butt.

Single-pull doors

Optional LSD

Offer a performance package...a stripper 335i. Cloth manual seats, 4 speaker stereo, no moonroof, etc. Get it down to 328 prices & weight.

Rotate the damn polarizer on the stereo. This is unacceptable on a damn kia.

Make a provision for spare tire storage. If you opt for RFT, you get more trunk space.

Option to make wiper sensor more sensitive.

LED headlights

Make fold-down back seat standard

Make comfort access standard if the economy of scale would keep prices about the same (on average) as now. The start button is just stupid without CA.

Better city mpg would be nice. Now, it isn't much better than my Cheorkee (22 on premium vs. 19.5 on regular)

Make voice control useful even if you don't have idrive

Make it so you can adjust temp in the WHOLE CAR by turning one dial instead of 4 (if desired). The two on the front panel should at least be able to link up.

Quieter ventilation system

Allow multifunction display to display things such as boost pressure, coolant temp, voltage, etc.
Allowing it to display radar detector infor would be especially sweet! Some kind of integrated radar, or at least a decent place to mount one overhead.

Last edited by carve; 10-07-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #81
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
1. ventilated seats
2. dual exhaust as standard
3. adjustable ride height
4. spare tire
5. v-tec or equivalent
1- Agreed. Seems everyone want's this
2- dual exhaust pipes don't make sense on an inline engine, unless the exhaust is already split up for two turbos. Even then, it's a waste to pipe it over to the other side of the car like on the 335
3- I've only bottomed out a few times. Probably not worth the expense and weight
4- Agreed
5- It already has it- been there for years. They even gave it a similar name: VANOS
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #82
Rosetta Stoned
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2023 X3

Garage List
Love my 335 but there are a few things that could be improved. Some have already been mentioned of course....

- A2DP stereo bluetooth sound
- felt on ALL window gaskets, no tint scratchies
- window switches not so far away
- doors unlock on first pull!
- passenger door handle matches driver side so don't have to reach around the pull handle
- folding rear seats standard
- cruise control redesigned
- more center console space
- adjustable pedals & telescopic steering wheel
- no HPFP failures or throttle lag !!
- no jittery headlights! This really bugs me
- bit more foot room for rear passengers
- remove the red/blue air selector knobs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #83
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I don't get some of the suggestions made here. Larger cup holders and glove compartment? Are you for real? If you truly need cup holders that are large enough to accommodate 2L Coke bottles and a "glove" compartment spacious enough to fit a 24 case of Budweiser, they already make your dream car. It's called Buick! As for making leather and other options standard, how is that a good idea? Making more things standard would naturally cause the price of the base car to go up, so what's wrong with giving people some CHOICE? I mean, why would you want to force someone who doesn't care about leather to pay an extra $1500-2000 for it? I guess I just don't get it

Anyway, here's my list:
  1. Improved HPFP design (obviously)
  2. More OEM wheel options when ordering the car
  3. Unless run flat technology improves dramatically in the near future, make RFTs an option. And provide a spare tire regardless of whether the car has RFTs.
  4. Thicker aluminum trim that is less prone to denting
  5. Optional matte wood trim (like on the new 7 series)
  6. Real sport suspension on Xdrive models with the sport package
  7. Brakes that don't squeak/produce so much dust
  8. DCT transmission available across the 3-series model range
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #84
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Those of you asking for single pull doors, isn't there a setting for this? You can set the doors not to lock automatically. If you don't choose this setting, all you have to do is hit the central locking button first.

I guess people want a feature where if you put your gearbox in park, the doors unlock. I had this on the CTS I previously drove. This is not safe though. If you are in a bad part of town and you pull over to park, you are locked into the car and have control over the opening of the door. If the doors unlocked automatically, a robber could open the door from the outside. With the BMW system this is not possible.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #85
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

it should lose about 500 lbs
      10-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #86
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Less Weight and more power

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #87
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

355hp from the showroom floor.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #88
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Those of you asking for single pull doors, isn't there a setting for this? You can set the doors not to lock automatically. If you don't choose this setting, all you have to do is hit the central locking button first.

I guess people want a feature where if you put your gearbox in park, the doors unlock. I had this on the CTS I previously drove. This is not safe though. If you are in a bad part of town and you pull over to park, you are locked into the car and have control over the opening of the door. If the doors unlocked automatically, a robber could open the door from the outside. With the BMW system this is not possible.

Thanks, Mike.
My dad had an old truck, I think an F-150. The doors would stay locked until you pulled on the handle (from the inside), then they would unlock and open in a single pull. If that old truck could do it, why can't the BMW? And yes, it did have power locks.