Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Done with RFT's

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Done with RFT's

Just bought these (Potenza RFT's) in August. I knew I should have taken everyones advice and went with a "Go Flat", but I went OEM instead. Yesterday had a flat, tried airing up with compressor I keep in trunk. Could hear air escaping, so that was pointless. I think "Ok, well these should be good for 150 miles at 50mph" 35 miles down the road, I'm stranded.

Getting 4 new Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on right now. Is there a reason my car seems to wear so badly on the inner rears, or is it just camber?" Yes, it's been aligned recently.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
You're making a good choice by going with non-RFTs. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are awesome tires!

Based on the picture, your tire looks like it actually wears pretty evenly across from the outside to the inside, with the exception of the shredded section. Assuming they weren't blown out, and just the inner edge was worn, that is not due to camber.

The tire on the left, pretty much new. The tire on the right, a combo of camber and toe wear. You notice that the tire on the right is more of a trapezoid shape, which is an indication of a lot of negative camber. Based on your pic, your toe could be slightly out of spec, which causes more wear on the inner edge of the tire.
      03-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Thanks for the reply! You are correct, it was a fine line of wear. Basically just the half inch or so just to the left of where the metal is showing. It had worn down to where air was escaping, so there was no pressure when I attempted my drive home, which is what destroyed the tire. I've had it aligned recently, would that not encompass making sure the toe is correct?
Appreciate 0