E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > More racing + racing/street pads

07-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

More racing + racing/street pads

I was able to track down a few more MFG for brake pads. The 335i uses the following number which doesn’t mean all the MFG list are up to date. Pads designated with these number mean perfect fit and no deviation is allowed:

Front: D918
Rear: D1170

These are serious track pad. The following vendor has compounds in 5 flavours for the front only but I have asked about a D1170 rear pad: http://www.cobaltfriction.com/

This is a new vendor that has track and track/street pads. They have both compounds for front and rear: http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 07-05-2008 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
You can talk to Tim. The front part number is AP918 and the rear part number is AP1170. These part numbers represent shape and are used regardless of compound or manufacturer. In order to fit our car, they modify an existing plate/pad from previous generation BMW's to conform to the specific shape of the ears for our car's plate/pads. I provided a new set of E90 front and rear pad sets.
This was from a July of last year post of mine. I am glad that other manufactures besides Porterfield have realized this. Leftcoastman has noticed that the front pad which comes from another model does not provide complete coverage on the disk surface. This may be the same condition with the other pads you are suggesting here. CoolCarbon and Porterfield have been competitors for years. Some say they make pads for the other but no confirmation of that fact. Both are carbon Kevlar bases.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
This was from a July of last year post of mine. I am glad that other manufactures besides Porterfield have realized this. Leftcoastman has noticed that the front pad which comes from another model does not provide complete coverage on the disk surface. This may be the same condition with the other pads you are suggesting here. CoolCarbon and Porterfield have been competitors for years. Some say they make pads for the other but no confirmation of that fact. Both are carbon Kevlar bases.
Unfortunately, some pad manufactures do not follow FMSI standards and when there is variants a character is added to the number and registered. The standard is specific so if the manufacturer clearly marks the product with this designation system then your chances that they are 100% match and tolerance correctly are better than good. Porterfield are not designated by FMSI. You might want to scratch any manufacture not following this system from your list.

The Cool Carbon pads are very new technology as within the last 18-24 months from what I can see. It is not the old pads at all and it seems the company shut down for a while adn seem to under new direction. The new material looks to use carbon/Kevlar/copper and nano titanium dioxide. They are cerianly using nano technologies which can create massive propterty change in the pad matrix. This looks peaty unique and very new from the research I have looked at. This mold design would require a vacuum for sure so this technology would be out reach for a lot manufactures. BTW, the pads where released days ago for 335i - July 2008.

I got a double track day in two weeks so will see if they hold up fro both RT and ST version. Front and rear pads for 190.00 from an online retailer. At my point is either a big brake kit or this does the job.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 07-06-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I will tell you that with the additional power associated with Procede, Kevlar based pads will chunk and fall apart badly with heavy track use.

Chats with some Speed Challenge guys indicate that this is is common because the glue that holds kevlar together disintegrates at a certain temperature.

My pads looked like a dog chewed on them. I know nothing about the nanotech pads. Sounds kinda hokey until proven on track.

Let us know how they work.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
terivera
track Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M coupe AW

E92 Pads

Just returned from 2 track days at Putnam Park. could not find exact rear pads but checked several and found the E46 M3 pads fit. not a tight fit but sufficient with no issues.Used Hawk HT10 up front and they worked great. I had been hoping for some PF01s as i used them in a previous life and loved them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
sg335
Captain
Rep

PF01's and Pagid Black are great track pads I have used in other cars successfully. They didn't yet make a fitment yet, but with these part numbers, maybe they will! Anyone want to call both of them to check?
Appreciate 0