E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > F U Texas heat!

07-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #45
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I grew up right outside Dallas...

I don't know where you get this....5-10% difference on avg each month throughout the year Houston vs. Dallas...and Austin isn't much different....and Dallas avg's higher temps....so I'd argue Dallas is worse. Ausin/San Antonio and the rest of Texas for that matter is hot...but you guys act like Houston is a different world....it's not..

But this is fun...like I said...I want to see you guys in person to argue....it'll be fun especially since I'll be teamed up on . I guess I just don't mind humidity that much. I lived in Arizona for 5 years and their summer is WAY worse than Dallas or Houston IMO...dry or not....it's rediculous out there...

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidi...s+-+Fort+Worth

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Houston

Not that much difference....Houston IS worse...but the avg temps are higher than Houston...so that makes up for it I think...

And Austin is even worse than Dallas...

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Austin

I think this is all in your minds lol...

Last edited by gizmo335i; 07-20-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #46
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

in October, when Dallas is seeing 67 degree days, Houston will still be in the mid 80's........

right now.

Dallas
99 index
40% humidity

Houston
104 index
53% humidity
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #47
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
I've lived in Dallas for 18 years, 4 years in Austin, and Houston for 5 years. Houston's humidity is 100x worse than Dallas' humidity and 200x worse than Austin.
i went to pick up my blue pitbull last year in Dallas on July 19th.

we left Houston's humidity and got to Dallas @ 1:15PM.

i walked outside and it felt great. it was "hot", but much like Phoenix, it was easily bareable.

we were standing outside of Denny's taking pictures and hangin out with the kids and no one was sweating or complaining about the heat.

then, the following month my little brother comes to visit for the weekend from Bedford.

he looks at me while sitting in ball soup outside of our gazebo and says "fuck dude, this fucking shit sucks - it's hot in Dallas, but not as fucked up as this".
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #48
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
A lot of it is opinion...humidity is annoying. I'm not saying that there aren't more annoying humid days in Houston. I'm just saying it's not that much different on avg. Just because you go there one day and it happens to be not as bad as the same day in Houston..doesn't mean there aren't many other days during the summer that aren't worse in Dallas.

When I got to Arizona, I said the same thing....it's dry. And if you go out there for a day and it's the normal 110 degree day there..and you're used to being annoyed by the humidity where you live...it might feel more comfortable. But when you spend years there and every single fucking summer...from the beginning of May all the way to the end of September...it's 105-115 every fucking day...and it's over 100 by 7 AM every fucking day...and is over 105 till 10 PM every fucking day....for 4-5 months...without a drop of rain the entire summer....you seriously go out of your mind after a while. Believe me...the cars and bldgs don't know what humidity is...only you do. People barely go outside there during the summer there....Phoenix is worse, period....you just get no break from the heat there..EVER....it's brutal.

But then again....we're all pussies at the end of all this. Go to Kuwait/Saudi Arabia for a summer...then tell me humidity is so bad. It's dry as fuck there too....but you realize that temperature is what really counts in the end....and my wife is in Africa right now....where it's 115 every day AND humid...so we suck lol

But this is a fun argument to me......I've lived in all the climates....and I...personally have just found dry to be irrelevant. I have played many softball tourneys all day in both climates....I'll take the lower temps/humidity any day. Now if I had to wear a suit every day...then maybe I'd take the dry....sweating to death is annoying. But the body responds to temperature more. Plus dry is worse for you....your nose bleeds constantly and your skin drys out. Humidity is good for you...
      07-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #49
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
A lot of it is opinion...humidity is annoying. I'm not saying that there aren't more annoying humid days in Houston. I'm just saying it's not that much different on avg. Just because you go there one day and it happens to be not as bad as the same day in Houston..doesn't mean there aren't many other days during the summer that aren't worse in Dallas.

When I got to Arizona, I said the same thing....it's dry. And if you go out there for a day and it's the normal 110 degree day there..and you're used to being annoyed by the humidity where you live...it might feel more comfortable. But when you spend years there and every single fucking summer...from the beginning of May all the way to the end of September...it's 105-115 every fucking day...and it's over 100 by 7 AM every fucking day...and is over 105 till 10 PM every fucking day....for 4-5 months...without a drop of rain the entire summer....you seriously go out of your mind after a while. Believe me...the cars and bldgs don't know what humidity is...only you do. People barely go outside there during the summer there....Phoenix is worse, period....you just get no break from the heat there..EVER....it's brutal.

But then again....we're all pussies at the end of all this. Go to Kuwait/Saudi Arabia for a summer...then tell me humidity is so bad. It's dry as fuck there too....but you realize that temperature is what really counts in the end....and my wife is in Africa right now....where it's 115 every day AND humid...so we suck lol

But this is a fun argument to me......I've lived in all the climates....and I...personally have just found dry to be irrelevant. I have played many softball tourneys all day in both climates....I'll take the lower temps/humidity any day. Now if I had to wear a suit every day...then maybe I'd take the dry....sweating to death is annoying. But the body responds to temperature more. Plus dry is worse for you....your nose bleeds constantly and your skin drys out. Humidity is good for you...
I wear a suit everyday and I sweat like crazy. This is why I say Houston's way worse than Dallas. I prefer dry heat over high humidity any day. It's not like Houston temps don't get up in the 100s too. Last year it was 110 for a week straight WITH humidity. FML.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #50
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Yeah last year was horrible for everyone...

See..you're bias..you wear a suit lol....that's the problem..

It doesn't get over 100 very often in Houston...the high isn't below 110 very often in Phoenix summers....and it gets over 100 a lot more often in Dallas.

Like I said..I'm not saying Houston isn't really bad...and maybe I'll concede it's a little worse than Dallas overall...

I'm just saying that Dallas is humid as hell too...with avg higher temps...you guys talk like Houston is the hottest place on Earth...so I like pushing the argument..
      07-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #51
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

In a sauna, you add water to up the heat index... just saying.

Just opinions...some may prefer extra water in the air, some don't. Who cares, if I could afford it, I would live in San Diego, where the weather is always nice (to me).
And.... Our daily beater, twinky truck .
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #52
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

i was stationed in Yuma Arizona back when i was in thge Marines. pretty much the hottest city in the naton..

it could have hit 112-114 today, i dunno, but i wouldn't doubt it.

i use to play basketball outdoors in that shit - can't even feel it.

i wouldn't dare play basketball in Houston in a 95 degree day with 55% humidity - that's suicide....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #53
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
What...did you play for like 5 minutes in the shade or something? That's just ludicrous. I know for a fact...you go out there during those temps...and there aren't people running around outside playing sports for hours. Maybe short periods. That's the difference....

I have played MANY tournaments all day in both climates. And I would say that most of my tourneys were in even less heat where it was dry...so say...105 or so...

Than I played in Floirda where it is MORE humid than Houston (there is no argument on that). And it just so happens the temps were about 100 when I was out there. I was DRENCHED in sweat the whole tourneys.

After being outside with the 105+ temps.... I could hardly walk at the end of the day. Oh...but I was less sweaty...wow

The humidity...eh...I was sweaty as hell all day but I felt great at the end of the day. Your body could care less how sweaty you are. It only kwows what temperature it is.

Bottom line...you think humidity is everything. I'm saying that places like Yuma, people avoid going outside all they can during the summer. When I drive through Houston (like I have this summer and last)....I stop and get out of the car....and it's say....97-100...which is usually the high there....and it's humid...so I get sticky..but it's bareable....I stop in Yuma when it's 112...which it is most days in the summer...and I literally lose my breath instantly....and feel like I'm cooking in an oven.

And like I said....you get breaks from this...

It rains sometimes in Houson in the summer (a lot sometimes) = IT NEVER rains in the summer there.

Houston gets highs as low as high 80's some days in the summer...usually mid 90's = Places like Yuma are OVER 100 every single day (often reaching 110-115) starting late May till the end of September.

One other thing...when you have a breeze where it's humid...which you often do there...it's a slightly cool breeze...especially in the morning/evening <<which by the way...are much cooler compared to Yuma. The morning/evenings in Yuma are often STILL over 100. When the wind blows there (which happens often)...it's even worse...it's like being in hell.

I can't believe you compared Houston to that place.....

Last edited by gizmo335i; 07-21-2012 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #54
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Houston gets highs as low as high 80's some days in the summer...usually mid 90's = Places like Yuma are OVER 100 every single day (often reaching 110-115) starting late May till the end of September.
again, i was stationed there - that heat is weak sauce.

it's all dry - you can't even feel it. the reason why i was stationed there was because i knew a guy that i went to bootcamp with. we both got stationed for our "schooling" in North Carolina after boot camp.

he was miserable out there - he hated it and said it was shittier than Yuma because he was born and raised there.

at that time i didn't know there was even a city that existed called Yuma. he said it was on the border of where California, Mexico and Arizona meet (in the desert).

anyways, even he said that it felt hotter and shittier in NC's humidity than in Yuma - and he's never even been to Houston - can you imnagine how hot that guy would be here in Houston !?!?

Quote:
One other thing...when you have a breeze where it's humid...which you often do there...
a breeze in Houston !?!? are you kidding me !?!?

that's the reason why people say that the humidity is WORSE than Florida because Florida at least gets a breeze - Texas' winds are almost non existent.

i can clearly tell you're not a Houstonian........

educate yourself kid......

Quote:
All of Florida and the Texas Gulf Coast, along with the coastal parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, and some other coastal areas of the Southeast could claim the right to hold the USA's annual humidity festival.

If you want to get really picky, Key West, Fla., has the best technical claim to being the USA's humidity capital, at least among places with long-term weather observations.

But, even though Key West is slightly more humid, on the average in the summer than Houston, you are more likely to feel the humidity more in downtown Houston as you rush from one air-conditioned building to another than if you were sitting outdoors in the breeze next to the water, shaded from the sun, sipping a drink in Key West.

and this is why i was able to play basketball in 112 degree heat in Yuma Arizona. i wouldn't even dare try it in Houston. hell, it's only 10AM here and i wouldn't try it

Quote:
Humans are sensitive to humid air because the human body uses evaporative cooling as the primary mechanism to regulate temperature. Under humid conditions, the rate at which perspiration evaporates on the skin is lower than it would be under arid conditions. Because humans perceive the rate of heat transfer from the body rather than temperature itself, we feel warmer when the relative humidity is high than when it is low.

Some people experience difficulty breathing in high humidity environments. Some cases may possibly be related to respiratory conditions such as asthma, while others may be the product of anxiety. Sufferers will often hyperventilate in response, causing sensations of numbness, faintness, and loss of concentration, among others.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Kid? I could very well be older than you.

I am educated. And I've been doing weather research for years

Bottom line is no matter what you guys in Houston say, the summers there are nothing compared to the western desert dry or not. Humidity is an annoyance and index is irrelevant. All that really matters is temp. Whether people know that or not doesn't change that fact. I have spent a lot of time in Houston in the summer as well as all around there. And I have lived in many other places. And I have spent more than 2 years of my life in the middle east/ humid and dry. Its WAY worse there So no need for the educate kid comment. I know what I'm talking about.
      07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #56
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

what part of "i was stationed in Yuma Arizona" are you not getting.

i am comparing the heat in Yuma to the heat in Houston.

Houston sucks worse because of the humidity than the dry Yuma heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #57
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I know...I'm talking about Yuma.

Just relax. You're already getting personal. Calling me kid and telling me to educate myself. I can't stand arguing on the internet....pretty pointless. We'll continue this discussion when I come out there soon. You can't tell someone's tone on here. I'm starting to get pretty irritated with the Kid and educate comment. I could assume you're a pretty arrogant guy with that statement since you have no idea who you're talking to. I'm not a kid and I am educated. And I've been in the military for almost 20 years. I've been ALL over the world and lived in/traveled through all the hot climates. I would venture to say I know first hand how they both feel.

My opinion is that dry or humid....actual temp is what matters. And you "Houstonians" come on here and talk like Houston is the hottest/most humid place on Earth. It matters not whether I'm a "Houstonian." You can look up all this info and the fact is that Dallas avgs almost the same humidity as Houston with higher temps. Yet everyone thinks Houston is so much worse. It's just not true. You can say it over and over and it won't change the facts.

And no breeze in Houston EVER....not true either...

The dry vs. humid argument is opinion. But I have found that the body responds much worse to actual temp than index....so therefore the Yuma/desert heat is much worse...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #58
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Pretty nice forecast you have there the next 10 days...damn high 80's with chances of rain...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USTX0617:1:US

I could argue it's worse here....

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USTX1200:1:US

Holy shit....this is actually pretty good for Yuma...but holy God...hot as a mofo..and it is like this EVERY SINGLE day for more than 4 months there...EVERY single year...high 80's forecast....with humidity..they would take that any day out there...especially some occassional rain

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USAZ0275:1:US

And the humidity is above 40%....actually not too dry...
      07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #59
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can look up all this info and the fact is that Dallas avgs almost the same humidity as Houston with higher temps.
no it isn't - it appears your allergic to my last 5 or 6 posts where i posted the temps and humidity factors for Houston versus Dallas.

show me anywhere that shows Dallas' temps are higher and more humid than Houston

Last edited by Litos; 07-22-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #60
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

it has been hitting over 100 for the last 3 weeks AND it rained 11 days in a row.....

looks like we're going to catch a break here this week - wouldn't surprise me if we hit 100 again.

weather in Houston is hit or miss - it typically changes every 2 or 3 hours.....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #61
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I give up. Look up avg temps during summer months and you'll see they're higher.

I haven't ignored anything. You take this humidity thing way too serious. If its so bad there, then move somewhere dry and deal with the nose bleeds, interior of your car melting and your skin flaking off
      07-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #62
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

So you are both saying humidity sucks.
And.... Our daily beater, twinky truck .
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #63
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos
it has been hitting over 100 for the last 3 weeks AND it rained 11 days in a row.....

looks like we're going to catch a break here this week - wouldn't surprise me if we hit 100 again.

weather in Houston is hit or miss - it typically changes every 2 or 3 hours.....
You're ignoring mine. I never said Dallas humidity is higher. I'm saying (and it's a fact) that it's ALMOST as humid and has higher temps in the summer. Yet so many people talk like Dallas is a tropical paradise compared to Houston.
      07-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #64
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i
Quote:

You're ignoring mine. I never said Dallas humidity is higher. I'm saying (and it's a fact) that it's ALMOST as humid and has higher temps in the summer. Yet so many people talk like Dallas is a tropical paradise compared to Houston.
Different strokes for different folks. I rather have dry heat than high humidity. Most ppl do and thats why most ppl say Houston is worse than Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #65
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i
Quote:

Different strokes for different folks. I rather have dry heat than high humidity. Most ppl do and thats why most ppl say Houston is worse than Dallas.
That sums it up. You're right. This argument approached stupid. I don't know why I like pushing this topic especially since I'm in the minority lol
      07-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #66
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
this.

some people just ignore this fact.
Appreciate 0