E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > from manual ac to automatic acc?

04-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

from manual ac to automatic acc?

is it worth it? and is it possible, and how much could it cost me?

the thing is, i bought a 320i with manual ac, and i want automatic climat control , so how much would i have to spend to make this happen ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

I'm sure its possible but I bet there's a lot of dash to come out so i'd bet it wouldn't be cheap.

Personally I think the climate control works nicely in the winter but is a waste of space in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Do a search on the forum, I am sure there was a guy on here who had purchased an 05 plate car that had the climate unit fitted when he purchased it, but it diddn't work correctly.

Turned out it was a retro-fit and the car should of had manual AC - he had all sorts of issues with it only blowing hot or cold air, and the car needing coding to accept the Auto AC unit.

Anyone remember this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Personally I think the climate control works nicely in the winter but is a waste of space in the summer.
?? Surely it works well all the time, as it keeps the car at your desired comfortable temperature, whatever the weather?

With a manual control, you are forever adjusting the temperature as the car wont maintain a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
?? Surely it works well all the time, as it keeps the car at your desired comfortable temperature, whatever the weather?

With a manual control, you are forever adjusting the temperature as the car wont maintain a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
Mine does ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Mine does ?
Yours does what?

The OP would like auto dual zone climate control.

Yours will have auto dual zone climate control - this IMO works superbly in all seasons, keeping the car at a comfortable temperature by automatically mixing the hot and cold air, and diverting where it enters the car as and when needed.

DaveC believes it is a waste of space in the summer?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

I do - Yes it works but summer comfort is not like winter comfort IMO. In winter I stick it on 18.5 and auto and everything is fine but in summer I'm forever fiddling with it depending on where the sun is and what its doing, can't ever seem to get the vents doing the right thing either. As soon as you adjust it (say turn it down a bit) you feel over hot because you have grown used to the stream of cold air (rather than an ambient coldness).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
opticus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320dt 2006(E91)

did anyone find out anything about this question?
Appreciate 0