E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Vinyl Wrap - Toronto Winter

08-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Vinyl Wrap - Toronto Winter

So I'm planning to do a bit of a cosmetic makeover on my car and thought instead of paying all that money for paint why don't I just get a vinyl wrap, then I can rip it off and part out my parts to people with cars of all colours.

My concern is how well will the vinyl wrap hold up in toronto weather. Now I don't need to daily drive this car and I can just stay home on days with bad weather, but I definitely would like to pull it out a couple times a week to go places.

My concern is how well the vinyl will hold up in the weather conditions and what measures I will have to take to maintain it and keep it clean.

Anyone have experience with this?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
div
Private
Rep
Drives: dinan S2 e92

after putting in that much money in to your car, it'd probably be a smarter idea to get a beater of some sort and leave that one in a heated garage for the winter months
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Vinyl's pretty thin so it won't protect against hail or what not but it holds up quite well in the winter. Just make sure that when they're wrapping they go completely around the part and not just ending along the edges.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
JGMODS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Modded

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [6.88]
Not too sure about how severe the weather is up there bud but you never want to put your vinyl against anything sharp. If theres a good amount of hail, chances are they will end up ripping the vinyl in certain areas. Like another member said, if you're going this route and are worried get another cheap car and keep the bmw garaged during the winters.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

if your willing to wait till the spring, ill let you know how mine held up lol
      09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by div View Post
after putting in that much money in to your car, it'd probably be a smarter idea to get a beater of some sort and leave that one in a heated garage for the winter months
Car's not nice enough to justify storing it for winter... I'd rather use it as my daily and save up for something nice for a summer/weekend car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Vinyl's pretty thin so it won't protect against hail or what not but it holds up quite well in the winter. Just make sure that when they're wrapping they go completely around the part and not just ending along the edges.
I won't drive in hail... well I'll try not to haha. Looks like it might be worth the risk... I won't be driving TOO much in winter so it's worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay@ModProjeKt.com View Post
Not too sure about how severe the weather is up there bud but you never want to put your vinyl against anything sharp. If theres a good amount of hail, chances are they will end up ripping the vinyl in certain areas. Like another member said, if you're going this route and are worried get another cheap car and keep the bmw garaged during the winters.
Definitely wont be driving in hail... mainly slushy conditiions maybe some light snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
if your willing to wait till the spring, ill let you know how mine held up lol
Haha, I'm actually going to Dallas for JAN-FEB so I will miss out on the majority of the snowy conditions... considering the vinyl wrap even more now.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Undies006
Rep
Drives: 335i

i recently saw a car with chrome vinyl wrap looks pretty retarded

Dr. G - where are you getting yours wrapped, i'm looking to do the same
Appreciate 0