E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n55 custom tuning thread

04-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Exclamation n55 custom tuning thread

Hello everyone interested in fine-tuning their tune.

I sincerely hope we can keep tune wars out of this thread. The data here is valid for any tune.

First of all, I am NOT a professional tuner, I am an enthusiast. Still quite picky on details and I've made extensive logging of my car in the last year. I've made many tests and tweaks and have now exactly what I want. I also helped some forum members here and there.

You should still trust more your tune vendor than me, and maybe shoot them a log from time to time for comments.

eyim1988 sent me a PM couple days ago. He feel he doesn't run enough boost, boosting ~11psi on his boost gauge. He asked me if he should be able to run 15.5-16psi safely.

Car specs: catless downpipe/intake/Procede

I asked for a log of a 3rd gear pull from low rpm till as high as possible with those parameters:

Code:
CAN DBW Throttle
CAN Actual AFR Bank 1
Boost Control Set Point
CAN Actual Ign Adv
CAN DME Boost Actual
Boost Control DC
Inlet Air Temp
Now, my analysis. Again, I don't pretend to know everything, I am analyzing with my experience and I am not a professional.

In short, too little octane (looks like 91) to run stock timing advance with that boost level (about 12psi).

Boost reach target correctly (target is 12 currently, we can have a look to settings later but he needs to address the timing curve first). No sign of boost leak or any other boost related problem.

IAT (inlet air temperature) is quite high, its 100% normal and all stock 335i suffer that problem in warm climate (well, by warm I mean anything above 32F) because compressing air (turbo) warms it, the more you compress and the less efficient the compressor is, the more it heats up. To remove heat there is an intercooler that is designed for stock boost level so it heatsock rapidly. Anything above 90 / 100 F is high (I don't know the exact DME's threshold but its around that) and reduce performances (the DME reduce its boost and advance target). An upgraded intercooler would help a lot. Best solution is methanol+water injection but its not necessary a route everyone want to use. Meth will reduce IAT often bellow ambient (bellow 75F in his case probably) and also increase the effective octane of the fuel like running race gas all the time.

Ignition Advance curve: The DME is right now protecting (quite well don't worry) his engine by listening to knock sensors and it retards timing ignition, red circles on the log. Given he probably don't have access to 93 or 94 octane and he's not using meth right now he should increase your ignition correction % factor to apply a global constant ignition retard over the stock advance curve to avoid constantly running on the edge of knock.

At this point I don't suggest he raises boost as it will make think worse (higher IAT and more pressure so more prone to knock).

He can try race gas, he'll get a super nice advance curve (no knock event), more boost and a lot more power. But in a daily basis I don't think its possible to run race gas unless he don't mind the price. I suggest we start tweaking the tuning for what is available normally (using map1) and then tweak map2 for race gas use (race, quarter mile, etc...)

I think many would benefits from those explanations that's why I started a new thread with his example, many could chime in, give ideas and learn in the process, including myself.

Now, if that would have been a JB4 user he could have PMed / emailed Terry or Mike and get personal assistance, probably real quick too. Vishnu tuning support is harder to get rapidly unless you have an issue and call directly (Robert will help you rapidly) but Shiv is busy as hell for some time now with the single turbo.

I for sure would appreciate more forum presence from them but its not the case. In the end, I appreciate the fact that we can log and tune the parameters, with the help of others we can actually do a terrific job that would cost a lot of $$ in professional tuning sessions on a dyno, and not everyone want simple plug and play generic power without additional control. I am an enthusiast and that love that whole tuning thing, logging, tweaking is part of the fun.

Also I wish I could test the Cobb AP on my car for comparison but its not available so right now the Procede and JB4 are the only available tune that we can actually tweak and "tune" to our specific car / conditions our self.

For comparison, here is a log I have of a timing curve on 94 octane, no meth, no intercooler, no intake, just Procede+catless downpipe and 15psi:

And this is 16.5psi + meth only:

[IMG][/IMG]

3rd gear pull:

partial 4th gear:

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Kalud, I want to thank you for taking the time to start a thread like this. I think its a great way to share knowledge and contribute to the community as a whole. I've been waiting for a thread like this for N55ers for a while now!

1. I find this log a bit odd where it shows the throttle (first green line) to decrease where the rpm still increases steadily after the 9 sec. mark especially

2. What is going on at the 1.5sec mark with the CAN tb intervention? That looks like a huge 2 deg. drop in timing as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
thanks man! Also i don't have my downpipe in yet! I am going to be doing that all together next week. It will be interesting because i will be the first n55 335i with a single mid pipe/single downpipe mated to a muffler. I'll be updating this thread as i put on more mods and use nos octane booster with the 91 octane!

current mods:
BMS intake
BMS chargepipe
Procede v5
map 2

Next week:
Custom single exhaust/downpipe (no split)
intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

I think your DP will help a lot with producing much more linear curves. What rev. or V5 do you have? I'd be interested to see how the single exhaust sounds / performs with the downpipe without a split. I've been one that always wanted to do that! I was even thinking of test fitting the F30 exhaust to see if that puppy will work since its a single turbo back with a cat.

Intercooler I think is a must with this car, as Kalud said... stock cars run hot and the computer robs power. My intercooler helped out a lot in that department, but dont forget about the airflow variable that you area also changing for the better. The stock ic seems to have a lot of turbulent piping as well as the poor design of the unit as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Kalud, I want to thank you for taking the time to start a thread like this. I think its a great way to share knowledge and contribute to the community as a whole. I've been waiting for a thread like this for N55ers for a while now!
History have shown that its hard to keep those thread free of wars but maybe this time... I would do the exact same work for any JB4 user interested in getting the best out of his tune. And its where pump gas octane is low (California for example with their 91) that this becomes more tricky. Straight quality 94 octane around here allow the use of the stock timing curve and high boost (16+ psi), not that its a no-brainer but almost... Still there is always many tweaks that one can do to improve boost response, traction control...

Quote:
1. I find this log a bit odd where it shows the throttle (first green line) to decrease where the rpm still increases steadily after the 9 sec. mark especially
Green line is Throttle (not DBW, Drive-by-wire throttle) so its was eyim1988 foot easing on the throttle towards the end of the run. Its the actual pedal potentiometer value.

Quote:
2. What is going on at the 1.5sec mark with the CAN tb intervention? That looks like a huge 2 deg. drop in timing as well?
Perhaps traction control intervention? It might also be DME's boost control action (when boost rise up too quickly -> partial throttle closure)...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I think your DP will help a lot with producing much more linear curves. What rev. or V5 do you have? I'd be interested to see how the single exhaust sounds / performs with the downpipe without a split. I've been one that always wanted to do that! I was even thinking of test fitting the F30 exhaust to see if that puppy will work since its a single turbo back with a cat.

Intercooler I think is a must with this car, as Kalud said... stock cars run hot and the computer robs power. My intercooler helped out a lot in that department, but dont forget about the airflow variable that you area also changing for the better. The stock ic seems to have a lot of turbulent piping as well as the poor design of the unit as a whole.

Yea i know the dp will help a lot! I had the Berk one on before i took all my mods off!

Yea i have a good feeling about the single exhaust! I'll post a video up when i get it on! I might actually switch back to the jb4 because of the nice customer service. I only switched to the procede because i found a great deal for it! Who knows though i'm still waiting on the new update for the n55! I have rev 2.5.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Nice write up guys, I am installing dp, cp and intake this Thursday and running a before and after dyno and currently have JB4 on. Meth is next month or so, will play around with specs as much as possible and hope for the best. Upgraded large single turbo soon after :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Nice write up guys, I am installing dp, cp and intake this Thursday and running a before and after dyno and currently have JB4 on. Meth is next month or so, will play around with specs as much as possible and hope for the best. Upgraded large single turbo soon after :-)
Awesome! I am going to try and get the highest possible power out of the car w/o meth for now! FMIC is next on the list for me! I am logging tonight with 91+ nos octane booster to see if that helps at all. Hopefullly! Same map and everything for a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
Awesome! I am going to try and get the highest possible power out of the car w/o meth for now! FMIC is next on the list for me! I am logging tonight with 91+ nos octane booster to see if that helps at all. Hopefullly! Same map and everything for a comparison.
Love to see the numbers... Post them plz
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Im having trouble prtscreen. So ill just type it out.

map 2
over boost limit - 20
start boost in % - 100
start ign corr- 200
traction threshold - 100
boost response - 100
OL fueling - 50.1961
Aggresive target - 5
overboost delay 255
CANCLEAR - 1
autning map1 - 2
autotuning map2 - 2
wgate position - 100
methanol mode - 1
speed delimiter - 1
02 modifier - 100
injection mode - 100
boost control gain - 100
cc mode - 20 (cant change)
cc command - 20 (cant change)

Kalud your pms are full.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

I'm not at my house, but I can probably comment on a couple...

over boost limit - 20 can be a little higher, mine is at 35 i believe. I think this determines how long you can be in overboost until the procede kicks into limp mode. putting it a little higher enables your boost to start hugging your control gain curve. Usually overshoots when you first get on it

start ign corr- 200 .... this should be 0 for map2 i believe. map 1 should be 100.

please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong... i'm not claiming to be an expert
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not at my house, but I can probably comment on a couple...

over boost limit - 20 can be a little higher, mine is at 35 i believe. I think this determines how long you can be in overboost until the procede kicks into limp mode. putting it a little higher enables your boost to start hugging your control gain curve. Usually overshoots when you first get on it

start ign corr- 200 .... this should be 0 for map2 i believe. map 1 should be 100.

please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong... i'm not claiming to be an expert
I got it via PM, but basically it was all messed up by the previous owner. I asked him to start fresh from the 11-08 map default values first.

Small comments:

Overboost Limit unit is psi, default is 16 psi. Anything above 20psi would be invalid. But I know you related to Overboost delay, default is 20 (for 2 sec).

Start Ign Cor (0-100%) is 50 in map1 AND map2 on the 11-08 map (non meth map).

Here are the default 11-08 (non meth) map settings:

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
I got it via PM, but basically it was all messed up by the previous owner. I asked him to start fresh from the 11-08 map default values first.

Small comments:

Overboost Limit unit is psi, default is 16 psi. Anything above 20psi would be invalid. But I know you related to Overboost delay, default is 20 (for 2 sec).

Start Ign Cor (0-100%) is 50 in map1 AND map2 on the 11-08 map (non meth map).

Here are the default 11-08 (non meth) map settings:

Ahh thanks Kalud, I did relate that to overboost delay... as well as i'm more familiar with the meth map settings
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahh thanks Kalud, I did relate that to overboost delay... as well as i'm more familiar with the meth map settings
Well one lesson learned, always start with the default settings and reset adaptations. We are making good progress already eyim1988 and I, we'll update the thread once we have new data to show.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Very cool, i'm staying tuned.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

So here are the current results, we are progressing very well. There is still more room and we are working on it. Here a quick before and after as of right now.

Same 91 octane + nos octane booster on both runs.

Before, getting very limited timing advance curve, 1.5 degree and 11.2 psi at 6500 RPM. Very inconsistent results from run to run.

After some work we are now getting 8.5 degree of advance and 14psi at 6500 RPM.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
^^ and to get these results you're just changing the ign correction and boost targets?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Looking good guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
thanks! Kalud is a big help!
My settings were all out of whack before!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
almost at my goal of 15.5 psi-16 psi w/o meth!
I am getting the single exhaust and downpipe custom built next friday!
Wonder if the logs will look different with the downpipe and exhaust.

bought this muffler off Donald!! Thanks! And the exhaust and downpipe will be made next friday based on this muffler and the BMS downpipe w/o the split!

Last edited by eyim1988; 04-19-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
almost at my goal of 15.5 psi-16 psi w/o meth!
I am getting the single exhaust and downpipe custom built next friday!
Wonder if the logs will look different with the downpipe and exhaust.

bought this muffler off Donald!! Thanks! And the exhaust and downpipe will be made next friday based on this muffler and the BMS downpipe w/o the split!
sweetness!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
sweetness!
I got the dp/exhaust made/ put on!!

It's actually VERY VERY quiet!! I remember my stock exhaust/berk dp being louder!! But the car feeels incredible!! SO SMOOTH!!
I'll post video up when i have the time!!
Appreciate 0