E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 tinted rear windows

06-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
ronanb
Rep
Drives: e93 m sport coupe

E92 tinted rear windows

hi everyone, sadly i gave in to my desire for tinted windows and left her in today with a newly open local window tinting shop. Oh shit! lets just say it has to be factory fitted to look the part yeah? the side windows are grand but its the back one that looks awlful. The guy said it needs to dry but that was at 1 o clock and still no change, its just luks cheap and you would know it was an after job! Heading back first thing in the morning to get it removed hopefuly! My 2 questions are, will it come off easily and leave no trace? and if any1 from n.ireland is reading this could they recommend me a good window tinting shop please! Thanks for your time in reading this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
its something to do with the dots around the window i think even the back window is hard to do
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

do u have pics? I have seen a few that have put me off getting it done. I reckon you'd be able to buy the tinted factory glass & get it fitted tho for the proper look.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Hence why i will be leaving my windows alone this time!!!!
      06-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d M sport

Pentagon up in lisburn does a top quality job, they do work for david prentice. Never got it done myself but the work they do is close to factory finish. They should have a web site if you search for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
ronanb
Rep
Drives: e93 m sport coupe

i'll get pic up a.s.a.p, yeah its at the edge where the dots are that it looks the worst. i did think of buying the factory fitted tinted glass but my god are we not chatting serious money for that??? thanks for the name in lisburn but the worst news ive heard is the this film doesnt come off easily, the heated lines on the rear window can be damaged when trying to remove! awh why did i ever bother.....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanb View Post
i'll get pic up a.s.a.p, yeah its at the edge where the dots are that it looks the worst. i did think of buying the factory fitted tinted glass but my god are we not chatting serious money for that??? thanks for the name in lisburn but the worst news ive heard is the this film doesnt come off easily, the heated lines on the rear window can be damaged when trying to remove! awh why did i ever bother.....
i heard some kids have just smashed you windows i am so sorry maybe a claim for tinted glass is need as you had it on before lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Pentagon up in lisburn does a top quality job, they do work for david prentice. Never got it done myself but the work they do is close to factory finish. They should have a web site if you search for it.
I always use Pentagon if i get my windows tinted - i did my 997 C2S and i did my last E92 M3 - however, my current E92 M3 didnt come with the factory rear tints, just the normal lightly tinted windows all round, so im not going to bother tinting them any further - but the main reason im not going to do them is because on my 997 especially, the rear window was far from perfect and Pentagon even admitted that was the best they could do and can never guarantee getting it 100% right because of exactly the reason quoted above. Personally i will never do it again - it never drys out properly and it will never look perfect and can reduce the aesthetic appeal of the car imo.
      06-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
How much does this tinting malarchy cost??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
How much does this tinting malarchy cost??
I used Eclipse to do my front windows last week - they now blend in with the factory sun protection glass and IMO looks superb.

http://eclipsetinting.co.uk/cgi-bin/index.pl

A full car is about £200 I think - I paid £80 inc vat to have the fronts done - All film is computer cut to perfect size before fitting and the finish they have achieved is totally faultless. Wind down windows are 'easy' though, it is the dreaded 'dots' that cause grief.

To the OP, keep rubbing around the dots with a soft microfibre cloth, it may well still bond yet. Takes about 3 days to dry out properly. My tinters recommend I didn't use the windows for 3 days after installation.

Do they offer a guarantee, some firms, such as Eclipse offer a full money back guarantee if your not 100% happy!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I used Eclipse to do my front windows last week - they now blend in with the factory sun protection glass and IMO looks superb
I'd be interested to see pics of your car Paul - i had the factory tints on my rears on my last E92 M3 and i had Pentagon tint my fronts to "blend" in - but because the rear factorys are SO dark you would have to run "illegally" tinted windows in order to match them up. I went smoke on my fronts and although it was fairly close it wasnt the same colour and still annoyed me that the colours of the windows were different - hence why im leaving my new M3 alone as they all match and all look so much better and theres no danger of the rozzers pulling me for pimp my ride windows!!! As i say, i'd be keen to see how you have "matched" your windows for comparison.
      06-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
AndyR0b
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

Hi, I have been thinking about getting this done myself but have been put off after reading some of the US forum threads about the rear window dot matrix issue. Is there anyone that has just had the rear side windows done and not the back due to the dot matrix. If so does it look any good. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
I'd be interested to see pics of your car Paul - i had the factory tints on my rears on my last E92 M3 and i had Pentagon tint my fronts to "blend" in - but because the rear factorys are SO dark you would have to run "illegally" tinted windows in order to match them up. I went smoke on my fronts and although it was fairly close it wasnt the same colour and still annoyed me that the colours of the windows were different - hence why im leaving my new M3 alone as they all match and all look so much better and theres no danger of the rozzers pulling me for pimp my ride windows!!! As i say, i'd be keen to see how you have "matched" your windows for comparison.
Eclipse matched the 'greyness' of tint very well, it is not as dark as the fronts, nowhere near, but helps blend the fronts in with the rears. The BMW sun protection is not as dark as some manufacturers but there is such a stark difference between the front and the back that something needs to be done. It was always my intention to tint the front a little to match, and I ordered the sun protection glass as you will never replicate that factory tinted look on the rear windows as the OP has found out

The following pic was just taken at work, weather is dull and grey so difficult to see properly but you can tell that there is not such a difference between the fronts and rears. I will take some proper pics when I do my next mods

The tints are borderline legal but to be honest I think I would have had to annoy a copper for him/her to 'do me' for them. My sis is a copper and she has had a look and says that she wouldn't bat an eyelid at them. It is the really dark tints on the chav Saxo's that are attracting more attention.

Overall, they have given me EXACTLY the look I was after, at a good price and you can barely tell they are not factory finish as they have been installed so well. You can quite clearly see into the car when you look through the windows so hopefully all will be OK. In fact we had a couple of coppers stop by our unit the other day and one was chatting to me about my car saying he thought it looked nice and his mate was getting one. He also never made a comment about the tints so fingers crossed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

ronan - were you and I not PM'ing about this?
I recommended Pentagon in Lisburn, as they do the tinting for David Prentice where I bought my car, and they pretty much matched it perfectly.

sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. for reference, tint comes off easily enough if it is well heated first...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That does look pretty dark to me Paul - but hey ho!!! Just dont put a Remus Race on otherwise you WILL be attracting the eyes of the law!!!!
      06-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
That does look pretty dark to me Paul - but hey ho!!! Just dont put a Remus Race on otherwise you WILL be attracting the eyes of the law!!!!
I must admit, on that photo it does look a lot darker than it really is - will try and take some better ones....

Defo won't be putting a Race on!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
ronan. i'm ronan also! and i don't live far from omagh...!

got my last coupe tinted with pentagon in lisburn (back window and back side windows). they do really professional job but they insisted that the back window must be replaced because they have tried to apply film and the curvature does not allow for smooth finish. total cost to me was about £600 - job was great.

have changed my coupe to new one that comes with factory tint - but possibly gona contact pentagon to do front windows now!

you live IN omagh? good to hear from someone local!

ronan
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post
ronan - were you and I not PM'ing about this?
I recommended Pentagon in Lisburn, as they do the tinting for David Prentice where I bought my car, and they pretty much matched it perfectly.

sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. for reference, tint comes off easily enough if it is well heated first...
no that was me - i'm ronan also! lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT

Garage List
Does the thing with the dots effect all E9x Or is it just e92? As i was going to have my e90 done
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini View Post
no that was me - i'm ronan also! lol!
lol - i knew it was you dude - thought you lost your username or something and just re-registered!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_1 View Post
Does the thing with the dots effect all E9x Or is it just e92? As i was going to have my e90 done
Many brands get affected by this. The black dots which look good when the glass is not tinted ruins a good tint job. All E9x's are affected. What also makes it look worse is the rear screen heating elements. The only way to get the best job is parking the car in the sun, this week is good!, and when the glass gets hot keep pushing the film into the dots and heater elements. The more you do it the better it gets. It will never be 'factory' but a good job can be attained. I've tinted the glass in my previous V50 and E91 M Sport all round, the rears being darker around 45-50%, and the fronts were light smoke at around 35%. The current car I ordered factory sun protection glass and just got the fronts done but again lighter than the rear glass. I've done around 40k miles a year in the last three cars over the last 6 years with no interest from the rozzers for having the front glass tinted. Here are the last three to get an idea

PS I'm Ronan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #22
bigfriendlyg
Why Play The Game When You Can Set Up Your Own?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i saloon

Garage List
2006 320i SE  [0.00]
I had my e90 done and yes the dot matrix is visiably and it does leave marks..... IMO its not a big deal its only noticed if pointed out... I wouldnt not buy a car if it didnt have factory tint and i would tint again even with a dot matrix....