E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 G4 question

05-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

JB4 G4 question

-So Im going to upgrade to a G5 here shortly but Im heading to the track this weekend and would like to be able to improve on my times from last month... I currently have a G4 that I purchased about two months prior to the G5 coming out (story of my life) and I was wondering if it would have been shipped from Terry with the 15 ohm mod already done? I know its a "mod" but being a late produced g4 I thought maybe it would have been already upgraded??
-Also thinking about upgrading to a trunk mount meth tank but only if I need to. I only run boost juice and I know there is an issue with the WW tank leaking but boost juice is not flammable correct (I took a torch to a cap full)? So is the only plus to a trunk mount tank the added capacity if I only run boost juice? Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
e85 an option for the track?

The trunk mount is just a overall better option. Though boost juice is not flammable (49/51% mix with water), it can still damage your tubes. Many people experience cracking of the bottle neck due to higher methanol content.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You are just as vulnerable to a fire at 49/51 mix.

JB4 is not shipped modified unless specified prior to ordering.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info!
-Im going to put in a few gallons of e85 on the way to the track just to be safe.
-Jeff, Im confused??? if 49/51 boost juice is not flammable (according to the jug and shipping info that came with it) how will it ignite? Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to figure it out....
-I guess I will pull out the JB and do the mod tomorrow then...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Thanks for the info!
-Im going to put in a few gallons of e85 on the way to the track just to be safe.
-Jeff, Im confused??? if 49/51 boost juice is not flammable (according to the jug and shipping info that came with it) how will it ignite? Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to figure it out....
-I guess I will pull out the JB and do the mod tomorrow then...
pour some on the ground and light it on fire. then you can tell us if it's flammable. no one knows they just assume it is or isnt. you could be a hero. post logs of your results too
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

-Ak, I did just that! A month ago, when I was installing the kit my friend was asking how meth worked and if the boost juice was flammable.... It didnt say it was flammable on the jug and it also was shipped to me without having a flammable packing slip. I took a cap full and took my torch to it, it didnt ignite! Im sure that changes quickly in the cylinder while under compression. I do understand that it has minor corrosive properties and that it may cause the WW tank to leak over time but I find it hard to believe that boost juice leaking onto a hot turbo will cause a fire. I have spilt some on my turbo at the track while filling and no fire. All that being said, I still keep a fire extinguisher in the cabin with me!
-I may move the tank to the trunk because I have a nice tank from a past build and I guess that would allow me to run a higher meth %. All I have to say is that I better take out my friends 03 slowbra at the track Sunday! He got me by 2 tenths last time...
Appreciate 0