E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 1 boost graph - WOT 3rd

09-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
We are all too tuned for stage 1. would be nice to hava a member with stock car and stage 1.
I am sure the issue on our cars will be resolved with stage 2 or higher.
well you asked for -- and you got it

Bone Stock E92 with BMW Performance Exhaust ... the numbers are.....

Note: these runs were performed after driving approx 30miles in 85-90 degree weather on California highways .. 20min cool down for dyno set up and a lil b/s session with Mark (the owner of MD) -- cool guy

all runs were back to back .. with no more than 30-45 sec cool down (no engine shutdown) .. just quick review of numbers and next run....

third run showed the most power and torque. maybe this tune does work well with the stock intercooler...

the numbers weren't what I expected.. and I knew the car was not at her peak with the frikkin techron in the tank.. but overall it running pretty smooth -- not the most powerful tune out .. but then again i'm not running a lot of power adders either.. Stage 2 -- here i come

p.s. unfortunately I dont have a baseline dyno to compare my improvements so .. this will stand as my baseline for the future.

cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #24
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberfestE92 View Post

Note: these runs were performed after driving approx 30miles in 85-90 degree weather on California highways .. 20min cool down for dyno set up and a lil b/s session with Mark (the owner of MD) -- cool guy

all runs were back to back .. with no more than 30-45 sec cool down (no engine shutdown) .. just quick review of numbers and next run....

third run showed the most power and torque. maybe this tune does work well with the stock intercooler...

the numbers weren't what I expected.. and I knew the car was not at her peak with the frikkin techron in the tank.. but overall it running pretty smooth -- not the most powerful tune out .. but then again i'm not running a lot of power adders either.. Stage 2 -- here i come

p.s. unfortunately I dont have a baseline dyno to compare my improvements so .. this will stand as my baseline for the future.

cheers
While not the greatest results, they are in-line with the other two independent stock car GIAC dyno results posted on this forum. In fact, it may be even a litle bit better since you posted SAE corrected numbers and not the usual STD numbers we see on this forum. With their monster fan, MD certainly has an advantage with cooling compared to most other dyno shops. If you get a chance, post STD numbers along with the conditions (which will show the Correction Factor).

I think the reason are surprised with your results had to do with the initial wide spread expectation of making ~350whp at 13.5psi of peak boost on an otherwise stock car.

With better octane, I'd expect that top end to clean up. With your gas, on your warm runs, it's only making more than ~305whp for ~600rpm. There is an obvious and repeatable knock event at 5200rpm. It's nice to finally see some more results coming in. Thanks for taking the time to test your car and post your results.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #25
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberfestE92 View Post

cheers
For a bone stock car, I think those numbers are great! Especially since they're the SAE numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
With better octane, I'd expect that top end to clean up. With your gas, on your warm runs, it's only making more than ~305whp for ~600rpm. There is an obvious and repeatable knock event at 5200rpm. It's nice to finally see some more results coming in. Thanks for taking the time to test your car and post your results.

Shiv
Will you show me the repeatable "knock" event that you are talking about in this dyno? I don't see anything.
Do you have any proof of the knock event?
Also, I believe that GIAC said that this is a map for 91 octane and that any race gas added won't make a difference.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #26
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
For a bone stock car, I think those numbers are great! Especially since they're the SAE numbers.

Will you show me the repeatable "knock" event that you are talking about in this dyno? I don't see anything.
Do you have any proof of the knock event?
Also, I believe that GIAC said that this is a map for 91 octane and that any race gas added won't make a difference.
See that RPM point (5100RPM) suddenly after which the power curves diverge by up to 20whp? Notice how Run 2 has the lowest power in that range yet runs the most boost?

That's evidence of knock. And, as such, the tune will make more power with higher octane fuel. More octane will also make the dyno results more consistent and smooth.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #27
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
See that RPM point (5100RPM) suddenly after which the power curves diverge by up to 20whp? Notice how Run 2 has the lowest power in that range yet runs the most boost?
No, I don't see that point that you are talking about and also run 2 doesn't run the most boost.

Quote:
And, as such, the tune will make more power with higher octane fuel. More octane will also make the dyno results more consistent and smooth.
That's not what they say. They say that their stage 1 map has torque settings specified specificaly for 91 octane. Adding 100 octane might throw codes and or CELs. 94 octane was verified to work but saw at most another 3 whp.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #28
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, I don't see that point that you are talking about and also run 2 doesn't run the most boost.
Notice the boost pressure of Run 2 in the 5500-6200rpm range. It runs the most boost in that region. Yet has the least power. This is evidence of knock retard. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #29
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

i cant see how they can tune it ONLY for 91. I would bet if you throw in 100 octane, boost levels may stay the same but the ignition advance the factory ECU would be able to do would be good for more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #30
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

how can you believe that adding race gas will make the car run worse????
      09-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #31
discostick
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 APLINE WHITE LCI

Those dyno results look OK, sort of what I expected, but I am surprised this flash is delivering such sloppy boost control? Say I buy the flash, when they fix it will they reflash it for me for free, or do I need to pay labor again?

Also can someone do a GIAC dyno on race gas?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #32
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
i cant see how they can tune it ONLY for 91. I would bet if you throw in 100 octane, boost levels may stay the same but the ignition advance the factory ECU would be able to do would be good for more power.
I dont' see it either, but I'll let them communicate what they said to me. I'm trying to understand everything that has been explained to me because the flashes are pretty different than the piggies.
You mention ignition advance. They have set the timing specificaly for 91, so do you think it's possible that even though 100 is added, timing will stay at the 91 octane level?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
how can you believe that adding race gas will make the car run worse????
I know huh? It's hard to believe. I hope I'm wrong since I would love to get more power than I'm making right now, but why would it be so hard to believe that what I would be saying is true?

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I see way too much defensiveness and not enough reading comprehension and COMMON SENSE regarding basic engine fundamentals.

Everyone needs to take a moment and really think about what was is happening here, don't trust what people tell you, just think for yourself... learn about how the n54 works, learn about things like knock, and octane... the info is out there... Wikipedia is a good start

Here is my take on it... in 4 points.

1. The GIAC dyno here shows knock retard at 5200rpm , probably because of heat and octane. This is obvious, because if you look at the boost, as soon as it gets to its peak, power starts to pull off, in a "dip", this is knock retard... then as the boost starts to lower, the power comes back in a bit. The DME is pulling timing in reaction to knock. Too much pressure and heat caused knock, the DME reacted by pulling timing, then as the knock stopped, the DME eased timing back in, the n54 has a very good knock control system.

2. That knock would go away if you increase the octane... you are just raising the knock threshold, in NO WAY should this EVER cause problems... maybe GIAC thought you were talking about LEADED race gas?

3. Shiv pointed out that it was running 14.5psi of boost... Mr. 5 says that GIAC never claimed that their tune would run less, Shiv shows posts where GIAC said they run 13.5 psi peak, on average. Mr. 5 thinks that shiv meant 13.5 average over the rev range, when obviously shiv meant 13.5 PEAK, averaged over a sample group of cars, IN SIMILAR CONDITIONS.

4. it appears that GIAC's tune, as with a STOCK car, is compensating, to a point, with more boost as the air charge becomes less dense with oxygen because the ambient temp increased... this is something that other tunes do the OPPOSITE... for example, jb3 and procede have IAT based boost DECAY... they keep the peak targets the same, and then when it gets REALLY hot, they decay boost... why? because the hotter it gets, the more likely the car is going to knock... at which point you have choices... lower boost, lower the temp(intercooler, spray, fan, etc), retard timing, or, increase the octane... all of these increase KNOCK RESISTANCE. there are other things, but basically it IS as simple as that, and the data posted so far confirms this, as well as the data that everyone already has about how the n54's stock tune reacts to environmental changes by raising boost when it gets hot (or higher altitude), and lowering boost when it gets cool, to keep the same engine output as the air charge becomes less dense with oxygen. Apparently GIAC left this compensation in place with their tune.

People are getting defensive and posting before actually thinking about what they are responding to... everyone needs to take a moment and REALLY think about the issues we see in this thread. There are logical conclusions to be made from this data.

In threads like this, the cooler heads will prevail.

-Rick

Last edited by RiXst3r; 09-06-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Thanks for that equation Scalbert! I've always wondered how to determine the actual PSI based on the BT logs.
Here's the same graph but I put things into better perspective using your equation.

I started in 2nd gear at 40mph, then went to 3rd and ended in 4th.
GIAC states that the reason why actual boost is higher than specified is due to running the stage 1 tune on a stage 2 car. I'm slightly overboosting but this should be taken care of in a couple weeks.
Looks good. One adendum though, this is assuming you are at or near sea level which I beleive you are. You could record barometric pressure and subtract that to get perfect numbers. But this should be in the ballpark.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #35
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
I have FMIC, catted downpipes and catback exhuast, am I better off waiting until stage 2 comes out to flash?

I am getting a little bit nervous seeing the boost logs and reading comments that people can feel this drop in boost on the road because some of us are "over-modded" for only a stage 1 tune...

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How are you catless cars getting rid of the CE light with the GIAC flash?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #37
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
How are you catless cars getting rid of the CE light with the GIAC flash?
With BMS DPs fix / O2 sims
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #38
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Ok drove more today and by giving lets say 50-70% gas the boost cutting is even more pronounced on 4th for example. Really hope stage 2 is coming out soon. This is getting annoying...
Can someone technical agree or explain that the reason could really be because of overboosting with the Catless Dps?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Enrita, why don't you ask for Giac support tomorrow? I believe no vendor wants their support requests on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #40
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

they already told me is because of the dps overboosting. I just would like to have the opinion of other people thats all.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #41
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Ok drove more today and by giving lets say 50-70% gas the boost cutting is even more pronounced on 4th for example. Really hope stage 2 is coming out soon. This is getting annoying...
Can someone technical agree or explain that the reason could really be because of overboosting with the Catless Dps?
Yes, it is very possible.

Quote:
they already told me is because of the dps overboosting. I just would like to have the opinion of other people thats all.
Here is my opinion... since you asked

A stock car will do this as well, but since you are talking about much lower boost levels, it doesn't cause any issues... the DME controls it with throttle closure and adaptation... but there are still more spikes and overboosting with downpipes.

If a tune controls the wastegates to hit a boost target without compensating for different variables caused by adding catless DP's, the the quicker spool and reduced backpressure will cause overboosting, yes.

Anyone remember that PROcede v2, when first announced, was specifically NOT for cars with mods like DP's that reduce backpressure, for this same very reason... of course, this was YEARS ago... This is now a thing of the past for new piggybacks like jb3 and procede v3... they kinda have us spoiled... they act as a secondary boost control system, keeping things in check.

v3 and jb3 piggybacks get around this by making the tune *smart*, and detect/monitor the solenoid duty cycles as well as the boost pressure from the t-map sensor as boost is building, and create a P.I.D. based system to target your boost. This way, you can change anything about the flow with downpipes, intercoolers, etc... and the tune is smart enough to keep your boost on target, and keep the DME happy

Now, with a flash, you have to try and recode the new boost control logic into the DME... not an easy task to completely reprogram the boost control, rather than just change the targets and modify the range of the duty cycle allowed.

so, instead, they just make different flashes for different mods so that the tune is running on a predictable set of hardware.

-Rick

Last edited by RiXst3r; 09-06-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #42
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Great! thanks Rick, makes sense :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #43
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Their explanation makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #44
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

From all those graphs and explanations that I have seen until now it seems to me that the piggybacks are significantly more mature than the GIAC flash. I mean, look at the boost oscillations even with a stock car. Maybe GIAC should have had a more widespread beta testing phase or something. Or maybe the 30-trial period is in fact a BETA program ? Also, increasing boost when temps rise just proves that they wanted to compete with the piggybacks at any price, including the engine longevity price.
Appreciate 0