E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Caught in speed trap by airplane! Anyone experience this?

11-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I think fighting it will only be another waste of money. It's your word against theirs and you'll be lying. Maybe set a court date, then reschedule it as many times as you're allowed. Then go in and plea no contest. Best case is the officer doesn't show up and it gets dismissed. Worst case is that you'll have to pay the fine and court costs, but you'll likely get some traffic school or get it bumped down to something with no points on the license. In FL that's a 4 point violation which stays there for 3 years.

Good luck.
In Cali or Socal they have set days by enforcement jurisdiction for court so officer's show up, no more of the officers day off logic. Also I'd be willing to bet the pilot's documentation is done soft copy and there when the ticket is registered with court. OP look at the officer signature line there usually is 2 notations for these.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yep. There are markers on the road for the cop to time your travel between two points. The markers are typically a solid line which goes across the entire width of the road to ensure they get an accurate as possible trigger to start and stop the stopwatch.

I'm actually pretty surprised by the OP being caught by an aircraft for speeding. Many jurisdictions are abandoning the use of aircraft for speed enforcement due to the cost vs "benefit" being skewed too far over to the cost side.
Yeah. In canada it's very rare to get caught by plane. They say it's being monitored by air on the sign but 99% of the time there's nothing. You'll mostly get pulled over by undercover cops.
I also found this true....they just have random blitzes to make the signs true....like once a year they will nail some biker doing 200km+ then put it on tv and newspapers as deterrent.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I got one of these on the FL Turnpike last year right at the border of Palm Beach and Broward counties. Bunch of cops lined up pulling everyone over. It was the one time I was happy to be annoyed earlier at someone driving slower than I wanted in the left lane because otherwise I would have been going faster during the stretch where I presume they timed me.

I gave it to a ticket attorney, which cost me $80. The ticket was dismissed but I can't tell you exactly why / how so obviously your results may vary particularly in another state. I don't get many tickets but when I do they always go to a ticket attorney, which usually results in paying court costs with no fine and no points. (That may be a FL-specific phenomenon.) Pretty sure this is the first ticket that was dismissed outright.
      11-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #26
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Read this, especially under VASCAR (it's the same technology). You're welcome.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...45&postcount=3
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #27
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I've always wondered as a kid reading those signs on the highway if a plane/chopper would actually land on the car

Speaking of Florida and for those living in/around Miami, every Saturday/Sunday mornings early when I go to the carwash, get wife iced coffee or whatever, I see about 4-5 state troopers lined up southbound on the Palmetto right before the Kendall Drive exit. Beware.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #28
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
They use markers and time you.
In California, CVC 40802 (IIRC) states that it is illegal to run a "speed trap." What the aircraft does is pace you and time itself between known markers.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

From what I recall about the "Republic of Cali"... those air-cops do not have to prove your exact speed, only that you were "observed" driving faster than the rest of the cars around you!! They can estimate your speed and cite you for that speed... but they do NOT have to prove or show your speed on a radar or vascar or stop-watch device. It sucks but that is the way it is. Welcome to the Republic.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ not really any different than an officer sitting on an overpass, he is a trained professional and after taking a course can estimate your speed, at least well enough to cite you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I had a little fun some years ago while flying around the county in my little 4-seat puddle-jumper. I dropped down to about 500 feet AGL (above ground level) while following our main 4-lane highway. Next, I reduced power, applied a notch of flaps and set my airspeed to 80 MPH. Then I maneuvered to keep the airplane shadow on the 2 lanes going in my direction. As my shadow slowly overtook speeding cars, they would slow and pull into the right lane. It really was amazing to watch.

The best part was when my shadow slowly passed over a big, red dually pickup truck that was pulling a huge horse trailer. He was way, way over the trailer speed limit of 55 MPH. As I passed over him, he slowed and pulled into the right lane.

I was really chuckling. I imagine all of those speeders were expecting to get pulled over somewhere down the road.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #32
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
In California, CVC 40802 (IIRC) states that it is illegal to run a "speed trap." What the aircraft does is pace you and time itself between known markers.
You brought up a good point... OP, that's actually more than enough to get it dismissed since VASCAR isn't a legal method, but just use my guide in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
From what I recall about the "Republic of Cali"... those air-cops do not have to prove your exact speed, only that you were "observed" driving faster than the rest of the cars around you!! They can estimate your speed and cite you for that speed... but they do NOT have to prove or show your speed on a radar or vascar or stop-watch device. It sucks but that is the way it is. Welcome to the Republic.
In the post I lined to, I outlined a defense about the precision of the measuring equipment, meaning if you were clocked going 77 in a 65 but you can disprove the officer's equipment but you were actually going somewhere closer to 80 [or 85 given the nature of BMW-skew] (but don't tell the judge that of course), you can get it dismissed. Not to mention if you have a way to prove you were going the speed of traffic (dash cam), it can also be dismissed since you didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb going slow. California does have the advantage of using "Presumed" speed limit instead of "absolute".
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #33
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I got one of these on the FL Turnpike last year right at the border of Palm Beach and Broward counties. Bunch of cops lined up pulling everyone over. It was the one time I was happy to be annoyed earlier at someone driving slower than I wanted in the left lane because otherwise I would have been going faster during the stretch where I presume they timed me.

I gave it to a ticket attorney, which cost me $80. The ticket was dismissed but I can't tell you exactly why / how so obviously your results may vary particularly in another state. I don't get many tickets but when I do they always go to a ticket attorney, which usually results in paying court costs with no fine and no points. (That may be a FL-specific phenomenon.) Pretty sure this is the first ticket that was dismissed outright.

i didn't even know we had this shit in south fla. wtf
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ I've been here for almost 30 years and learned it that day...
      11-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #35
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Seems like most of the "fighting it" has to do with hoping the officer doesn't show up. Once he does, you get up say you weren't speeding and he says you were. I am confused as to what you can do from there?

I went to court for a speeding ticket and registration ticket because I didn't have my registration sticker on my tag, but had already paid for it. I showed the paperwork that I had paid it and the judge let me off for it but I didn't get anywhere on the speeding ticket (possibly didn't do something I should have).

With not having a ticket in the last 5 years, the next one I get (if guilty) I will probably just pay as going to court and the hassles and time involved, with no guarantee of getting anything for it aren't worth it to me.
      11-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #36
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Seems like most of the "fighting it" has to do with hoping the officer doesn't show up. Once he does, you get up say you weren't speeding and he says you were. I am confused as to what you can do from there?

I went to court for a speeding ticket and registration ticket because I didn't have my registration sticker on my tag, but had already paid for it. I showed the paperwork that I had paid it and the judge let me off for it but I didn't get anywhere on the speeding ticket (possibly didn't do something I should have).

With not having a ticket in the last 5 years, the next one I get (if guilty) I will probably just pay as going to court and the hassles and time involved, with no guarantee of getting anything for it aren't worth it to me.
And besides, it is the HONEST thing to do.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

Agreed usually get a reduction but unless it gets totally dropped still goes on record just the same and saving hundred bucks isn't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Depending on where you live, you can invoke something similar to a probation before judgement. This means the judge at his/her discretion can hold judgment and place your violation in a place where it doesn't show up on your official driving record but is accessible by the court. If you don't get another moving violation within a year, the ticket just drops off like it never happened. This is probably the only thing other than hoping the ticket gets thrown out due to the officer not showing which makes going to court worth while. Going to driver's school or having no points applied doesn't do jack as the ticket will still probably be on your driver's record which the insurance company will see if they pull your record for a periodic check.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #39
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
In Cali or Socal they have set days by enforcement jurisdiction for court so officer's show up, no more of the officers day off logic. Also I'd be willing to bet the pilot's documentation is done soft copy and there when the ticket is registered with court. OP look at the officer signature line there usually is 2 notations for these.
Actually, I had to go to court for something last year since a friend got busted without insurance, and it has gotten to the point where instead of calling people one by one to the stand, the judge asked for the names of the 3-4 officers there, and then he said "the following tickets shall be dismissed due to the testifying officer not being present" and rattled off at least 20-30 names and charges like "Hernandez, count 1 of speeding, dismissed... Anderson...", so you still have a good chance to get it fought effortlessly... Besides, it's not worth the risk of having something stuck on your driving record and hiking up the arm and a leg an insurance already charges IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 05:32 AM   #40
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:

Agreed usually get a reduction but unless it gets totally dropped still goes on record just the same and saving hundred bucks isn't worth it.
I think it depends on where you live. In South Florida (maybe all of FL IDK), going to court often results in no points / ticket on record. Just court costs and attorney fees unless it is an egregious violation or you are a multiple repeat violator. Sometimes it gets dismissed. You typically save money vs. cost of ticket and insurance impact so it is worth it to keep off your record. Other than $80 for a ticket attorney there is really no downside to taking it to court either - you don't go yourself. When you get a ticket here you get a dozen or two dozen mailers from ticket attorneys within a week or two. You can also go to traffic school up to 5 or 6 times to keep tickets off your record. Personally, I would never just pay a moving violation here.
      11-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Food for thought as to using an attorney or not.

Earlier this year I was stopped by a county sheriff and was cited for careless driving. I was approaching a light after exiting the highway and made a left turn going too quickly and the car stepped sideways. The officer stopped me and gave me a lecture. I was polite, answered all his questions with the typical yes sir, no sir.

I got to my destination and proceeded to review the implications of a careless driving ticket which included 5 points and about a $250 fine. I hadn't been pulled over in over 9 years and had a clean record and 5 points would make my insurance skyrocket.

I spoke with a friend that had a similar situation in the past and he gave me a name of a lawyer that specialized in traffic violations. I spoke with the attorney regarding the situation and he stated that if he couldn't get a reduction in either the cost of the ticket or number of points he would refund my money. The entire cost to retain his services and resolve the ticket was $400. He handled everything and I wasn't even required to be present for the court date. He negotiated with the judge and the prosecuting attorney and pled it down to impeding traffic. $145 fine and zero points.

So at the end of the day I was out $550 total but no points, not a bad deal. I highly recommend retaining a lawyer, specifically a traffic lawyer.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 1